Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: Texas Santa Claus came today Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rex

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 10 2016 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote Rex

In the mail this morning I found a Ideal 357446 two hole mould. There is a very generous man in Texas that I am indebted to.

Pilamaya Kola !!!!!

Now if it will just get above freezing outside..........

Edit: Don't know what happened to the post below, cant get it off or delete it and it don't seem to work.

Edited by Rex on December 10 2016 at 10:36am
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Old Ranger

Posted: December 10 2016 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Danish Viking proverb
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Rex

Posted: December 12 2016 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Rex

Will try this one more time.
I cast a few in my 20 degree garage because I couldn't wait any longer. Bullets look nice and with my alloy will drop just a fraction over 158 grain. Tried to measure them but my fingers and Chinese micrometer were just too cold. Pushed them through my Lee sizer and it just polished them a bit but they won't fall through the throats on my S&W 686, they have to have a little push to go all the way through. JUST RIGHT.
Maybe it will warm up enough I can shoot a few today.

Old Ranger

Posted: December 12 2016 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Rex, with #2 aloy (or plain WW) that mould should drop em right at .3585". It's a U 357446 Ideal. The "U" is for "undersized" from the nominal .360" the older Ideals used to cast. I knew your pistol had undersized throats thus the "U" model mould.
Originally with the old 16:1 alloy of old they were 156gr but today they'll run from 158gr to 162gr. With two generous lube grooves and a thick base, this bullet always gives a good showing in .357mag pumped up to some respectable speeds!
You can use the same loading data as with the 358156.
Hopefully they'll run good for ya!

Danish Viking proverb

Rex

Posted: December 14 2016 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

Wade, I finally braved the cold and shot a few rounds today. Started with 6 grains Unique, very accurate but leads just a bit. My 358477 did the same thing until I upped the powder to 6.5 grains. I'll do the same with this bullet and bet it will settle down. I don't think my Smith was ever intended to be a lead shooter so it takes a bit of playing to get there.

Old Ranger

Posted: December 14 2016 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Well Rex, back in the 50's they loaded this bullet with 8gr of Unique, but I strongly feel that is too much.
7.2gr with NRA 50/50 lube in a 357mag case for my weapons always punches hard but no leading with that lube.

And my Johnson's paste wax lubed bullets never leaded. JPW lubed and sized .358" in an Ideal 310's bullet sizing chamber never leaded, but ya gotta load em in a few days or the wax will start to peel off in flakes as it's drying. If loaded in a day or so the JPW will stay put from pressure of the case. But I digress with my antique gear. Sorry...back to your issue. .

Bumping the charge may cause it to fill out, but I have a gut feeling it's the lube. I recall you saying you had leading near the muzzle recently. Isn't that often associated with the lube playing out before the bullet clears the barrel? Just thinking out loud here. How bout that 45-45-10 lube stuff you got? Is it possible that might improve your chances?

Shucks, maybe it's just too stinkin cold to shoot!

Danish Viking proverb

Rex

Posted: December 14 2016 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

I'll give the 45-45-10 a try. If nothing else I'll hit it with 2400. I think it's just that the cylinder throats are so stinking tight so I think I'll try to hit it hard enough to swag it back up at the forcing cone.

Old Ranger

Posted: December 15 2016 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Hee heee! Ain't nuthin like bullet resizing with a bunch of "Twenty Four Double Ought"!! a couple manuals I have from the early 50's show using as much as 15gr of 2400 with this bullet, but that's also 2400 from 60 plus years ago. Today's 2400 is a touch stronger I believe. 13.5gr today in my single action is a HANDFUL! I've gone as high as 14gr with my paste wax lube and oh my! Primers were starting to flatten and show signs of a really hot load. Thank goodness I only loaded 5 of those to test.

At any rate, I'm confident that you'll find what it takes to get the job done with this old bullet. If I didn't think it would serve you well I'd have never sent it to ya.

Oh, just remembered. When I was still using some of the old Ideal bullet lube, I'd get leading with this bullet when pushed a bit. That quit when I cleaned my old 450 unit and replaced the lube with NRA 50/50. Again, just thinking out loud. ...
Stay warm. We got artic air enroute here soon and even here we'll be right at 22 degrees. .. Me? I'm staying inside and cast a bit.

Danish Viking proverb

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version