Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Hunting
 Handloads.Com Forum : Hunting
Subject Topic: Squirrel Hunting Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
richhodg66

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 08 2017 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

This was the first day in quite a while that the weather hasn't just been brutal, so when I got home from church, I got dressed, got a rifle and my hunting seat and went to sit on a knoll over watching some woods where I've had good success before (this is the first time hunting them this year). Only saw one, but it's now dinner waiting to happen.

We just moved my folks out of their house and into assisted living and I have been going through a very large and assorted batch of reloading and gun stuff, among which was an old coffee can of .30-30 loads that appear to be the Lee 120 grain "Soup Can" with Dad's notes saying five grains of Clays. The stuff was easily minute of squirrel accurate at 25 yards in this little H&R. Shot the squirrel through the shoulders, DRT. Hardly any meat damage, neat, clean hole clear though, pretty much what my .22 Hornet loads did last year.

My buddy, the big friendly tomcat who adopted us a year or so back followed me out and hung out with me the whole time. Anybody else ever hunting with a purring cat on your lap before? I think he was pretty glad to have good weather too.[/IMG]

Ham Gunner

Posted: January 08 2017 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Nice healthy looking red there. Sounds like those old cast loads work just fine.

My FIL had an old black/white cat that would follow him out squirrel hunting. It would sit beside him until he shot one and then it would sometimes even retrieve it for him, but did not really want to sit still after that. Was always trying to get the squirrel out of his vest.

A few times my Fil said he had not seen any squirrels and was about to get up and move to another location when he noticed that the cat was staring up in a tree. My FIL looked the tree over and sure enough there was a squirrel sitting on a limb. Never could get that cat to bark treed though.

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

richhodg66

Posted: January 08 2017 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

This one was just happy to be out. He's outside 98% of the time and has a pretty good insulated box to sleep in, but when it gets down to zero, I bring him in and keep him locked away from the inside cats. Needless to say, he hates it. He was so happy to be outside and was very quiet and calm until he nosed that dead squirrel, that got him fired up.

I'm a cat person, and it's nice to have one that likes to hang out when I'm doing stuff around the house. He has a bed by my reloading bench in the barn too.

JD45

Posted: January 09 2017 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote JD45

Thats a purty squirrel lol. We mainly have gray's here.
Back to Top View JD45's Profile Search for other posts by JD45

richhodg66

Posted: January 11 2017 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Back east where I grew up, we had only grays and I truly believe they take a lot more killing than these fox squirrels. The fox squirrels here seem to go down quick, even with a body shot like this one.

JD45

Posted: January 12 2017 at 5:15am | IP Logged Quote JD45

I agree! They fight til the end for sure! I only hunt them with a .22 nowadays. You would not believe what I've seen them take from a shotgun.
Back to Top View JD45's Profile Search for other posts by JD45

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version