Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: .30-06, 180 gr Nosler Partition Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 17 2017 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote M700

After such a great season with the 165 grain Ballistic Tip, I probably shouldn't mess with a thing. That load was terrific! But... Hoping for bigger game in 2017 (maybe that moose tag, or maybe bull elk) I've decided to return to heavier bullets for the .30-06, and it dawned on me that for this particular .30-06, I've never used anything except 165's on game! So, back to an old favorite, the 180 gr Nosler Partition. Am looking for 2700 - 2800 fps, with reliable performance for warm weather bear hunting or cold weather mule deer and elk hunting, and it's got to be accurate enough for 300+ yard shots.

Rifle is the Rem 700 CDL, factory 24" barrel, an old 2-7x Redfield. It's been pillar bedded, free-floated, the trigger set at a crisp 3 pounds. Was very successful in 2016, with bear, mule deer, pronghorn and cow elk. Just fooling around a little, looking for more penetration.

Why H4350? It's done well for me in the past, and I've got about 12 pounds of the stuff on hand. I suspect it will do just fine. Using Federal 210 primers, and brand new R-P brass.

I might give the 200 gr Partitions a try as well, but long ago learned to respect the 180 gr Nosler.
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

JD45

Posted: January 17 2017 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote JD45

I think you could take those 2 bullets and that powder and hunt anything. Great choices.

I've shot only one doe with the 165gr. Ballistic tip.
The guy processing the deer said, " what kind of magnum did you shoot this thing with??" Every blood vessel on its back just like exploded.
I used a .308 Win. starting load (maybe 2400fps). And the shot was 40 yds.
Back to Top View JD45's Profile Search for other posts by JD45

Ham Gunner

Posted: January 17 2017 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

JD45 wrote:
" what kind of magnum did you shoot this thing with??" Every blood vessel on its back just like exploded.

I read an article by a medical doctor who was also an avid shooter and hunter. He thought seriously that if a bullet impacted an animal in the heart or near by in an artery while the blood pressure was at it's high point of the heart beat, that the bullet would induce super high pressure into the circulatory system that could certainly alter the results of the damage done to the animal and how it reacted afterwards.

Probably explains why some shots can knock an animal into next week and they just fall over and an almost identical shot seems to be a whole lot less destructive initially with the animal running for a good distance before piling up.

Guy, that combination sounds like it should be a walk in the park. Great Federal 210M primers have always been very consistent for me when I could find them around here locally and I have always found that long flat based bullets were fairly easy to find a happy load for. Even in a finicky rifle it seems like I could make a flat based bullet work when other bullets were being difficult. The 4350 powders have always been what I reach for when loading the 30-06 and the 25-06 as well.

I have actually never loaded partition bullets for other than for the .243 Win., but those 95gr. 6mm bullets were tack drivers.

Edited by Ham Gunner on January 17 2017 at 1:45pm

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

safari100

Posted: January 17 2017 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote safari100

I shoot 180 grain A-Frames in my 30-06. I like the way they perform over Partitions. Generally speaking I load heavy for caliber. I load 165"s in the 308.
You have a bunch of 4350 so I would not change but I load Varget to 2750fps.

Buffalogun

Posted: January 18 2017 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

My .30-06 is a mid-sixties FN Mauser that I picked up a few years ago. It was in excellent condition.

It has turned in groups less than one moa in size with 130-165 gr. bullets from Hornady, Nosler, Speer and Barnes.

Favorite powders are Win 760, VVN160 and all three 4350's.

Down here in Florida about the only game animals we have that run over 200 lbs. are bears and gators. I don't hunt either! Never felt that I needed a 180 gr. bullet.

Mike

Edited by Buffalogun on January 18 2017 at 1:38pm

M700

Posted: January 18 2017 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Mike - I agree, the 165 is terrific in the .30-06, and it served me well this year.

Hoping to stalk some bigger game this coming year, and thought I'd bump up to the 180 Partition. Besides, I've got about 200 of them just sitting here, doing nothing. Might as well shoot 'em!

When I'm satisfied with the 180 gr load, I'm going to mess with the 200 gr Partitions as well. I've used the 180's on game, long ago, but have never used the 200's. I hear they penetrate very well. Have 150 of the 200's on hand.

Regards, Guy

hoghunter

Posted: January 19 2017 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

The Nosler Partition have an excellent reputation on large
game with controlled expansion and deep penetration.

However I could never get these to shoot in my M700 tighter
than 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 at 100 yards which is adequate I guess
for big game. I had my best accuracy with the 165 Sierra
Game King and IMR 4350.

The 30 06 with the 165 grain bullet is a great combination
and it was my favor combo with IMR 4350.

Back to Top View hoghunter's Profile Search for other posts by hoghunter

LAH

Posted: January 20 2017 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote LAH

I love 4350 in the '06.

safari100

Posted: January 20 2017 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote safari100

The Nosler Partition does not have controlled expansion. The front end goes away quite quickly on impact, and only the base in back of the partition remains to penetrate. This is by design.
True controlled expansion bullets are Swift A-Frames, Barnes X bullets, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, Or Woodliegh Weldcores. I choose these for larger game animals. Just my opinion.

M700

Posted: January 21 2017 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote M700

True. The Partition tends to expand Real Fast, and sometimes even loses the whole nose section.

Then that rear core continues to penetrate, often providing an exit wound. It's good performance, and Nosler tailors the construction of the Partition to the expected use of the bullet.

But yes, something like the A-Frame, which is bonded, performs rather differently, retaining more weight.

It pays to study bullet construction & performance.

Deer are easy, I like a rapid expanding bullet for deer and don't care if the bullet exits. I just want a fast kill. Bigger game? Ya, I like a heavier, tougher bullet.

This past season I decided to rely on the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip the entire season: bear, mule deer, pronghorn and elk. It was absolutely up to the various jobs assigned!

Regards, Guy

JD45

Posted: January 21 2017 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote JD45

Do you find that a destructive bullet that stays inside kills faster?
I'm beginning to think it does on deer. I've had great results with a 100gr. Ballistic tip in a .257 Roberts.
Back to Top View JD45's Profile Search for other posts by JD45

safari100

Posted: January 21 2017 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote safari100

I have never recovered a Partition that had the front end in tact and I have recovered several. They kill well just not what I like. I have never been able to recover a bonded core bullet they all pass thru. I am just a pound them kind of guy and that to me is A-Frames. Please note that the A-Frame expands quite quickly and does not shed weight. They also track very well with Hornady Interlocks I use for practice bullets.
Just my preference.

Ham Gunner

Posted: January 22 2017 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

JD45 wrote:
Do you find that a destructive bullet that stays inside kills faster?

On smaller critters such as coyotes, or ground hogs, etc. I would think that statement might be a yes. But on deer and game animals my experience has indicated to me that two holes are better than one. Especially since one might have to track a few yards.

But I have had a few bullets than I was able to recover even with my heavier constructed cup and core bullets and the game (deer) expired quickly there also.

I just feel that bullet construction needs to be taken into account and I would prefer to error for getting more penetration than needed than the over expansion when hunting game animals. Varmints are another story of course.

Cast bullets normally penetrate well and expand less than even the harder constructed jacketed bullets and they still kill well.

Aim small - hit small. Most well placed bullets will normally do the trick.

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

M700

Posted: January 24 2017 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Remembered to take the chronograph to the range with me this afternoon. And ammo, and the rifle, etc...

Temp hovered around 36 degrees, and I have some work to do with accuracy. Could be me, could be the loads. I know the rifle and scope were terrific all through hunting season, so I'm not worried there.

Rounding up about 5 fps, the 180's shot right at 2800 fps, and the 200's just shy of 2600 fps. Both with H4350. I was pleased with the velocity, but need to tune the loads some for accuracy, they don't compare well with the 165 grain Ballistic Tip loads I used during the hunting season.

It was a good way to spend part of the afternoon!

Guy

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version