Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: All soft and mushy Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
RT58

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 03 2017 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

BAGTIC wrote:
I wonder what happens to those who use soft lead so the bullet will expand (obturate) in order to fill the riflings. Those soft bullets will expand while still in the case. There have been many tests where the barrels were removed from revolvers and the bullets photographed in an already expanded state as they exit the cylinder.

Ironically ATF has not, to my knowledge, persecuted any of those experimenters for possessing and firing smoothbore breechloading arms with barrels under 18.5 inches in length.

Bullets can only expand as much as the chambers or barrels will allow them. In the examples where the barrels were removed, they are deforming as they leave the cylinder and expand to fill the hole in the frame where the barrel was. The reason they don't do this when leaving the barrel is because the pressure has dropped so much by that time.

Revolvers, or rifles for that matter, with the barrel removed wouldn't be considered smoothbores. It would also not be illegal to possess such a firearm, however the "firing" may pose a problem. I believe it is illegal to alter a firearm in order to tamper with rifling evidence, but I'd have to look it up to be sure.

Edited by RT58 on March 03 2017 at 7:02pm
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version