Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Black powder and Muzzleloading
 Handloads.Com Forum : Black powder and Muzzleloading
Subject Topic: The only newer Ruger I like Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Old Ranger

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 03 2017 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Y'all know I don't care for new model Rugers at all. But there is one newer Ruger I do like and they quit making em in 2008. The Old Army. That's one I had back in '75 and later traded it off. Didn't care for adjustable sights on a single action. Just wasn't natural.

But today I popped in to see my amigos at my favorite pawnshop and low and behold there was an unfired, in the box, with a .45Colt conversion cylinder to boot. Blued 7 1/2" new in the box and it wasn't just calling my name. It was shouting it!
Price was right and it's on layaway as we speak. I'm basically getting the weapon for the BP use, and fancy cartridge cylinder is just extra. Probably never use it. And besides the bore is right around .456" and .45Colt is .452". Not what you call worth loading. And loading dies ain't that big to load a .458" bullet in a .45Colt case. If I want to shoot a big bore single action I got a great one, The Bounty Hunter in .44Mag.

But the Old Army was always on my "list" if I could find a fixed sighted model in blue with the 7 1/2" barrel. Sure I've several BP wheelguns and love em all, but this one Ruger is going to be a pet of mine I'm sure. The Old Ranger is grinning tonight thinking about the Old Army. The two sorta go together anyway. .. "The Old Army Ranger " sorta has a ring to it huh?

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

lovesrugers

Posted: February 03 2017 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote lovesrugers

The bore should be.451 just like the Blackhawks.

Jerry
Back to Top View lovesrugers's Profile Search for other posts by lovesrugers

Old Ranger

Posted: February 03 2017 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Well sir, the model I had before miked out at .456" and the documentation from Ruger (2009) shows barrel specks at .457" and recommends .457" round ball. Don't mean to sound argumentative but that's a might big for a .451" bore.
Guess I'll just have to slug the bore when I get it then we'll be sure.

One thing for sure it's got a halfcock like a real single action should.

Monte Walsh

RT58

Posted: February 05 2017 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

You're right Ranger, they shot a .457 dia. ball.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

Old Ranger

Posted: February 05 2017 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Been thinking. ... that'll worry half the members! Ha!
But seriously, if that .45 Colt conversion cylinder is bored big (er) than a standard of today's dimensions, I might be able to use my 310's neck expansion die (.457") to bump up the opening of the case to accept the .456" early model Lee 220gr conical bullet. But if it's more conventional and sized for today's 45 Colt then yeah, I'll sell it. Too bad the shop won't sell me just the gun with the original cylinder only. They said since they bought it with the conversion cylinder in it they gotta sell it that way and even though it's a BP gun since they bought it with the other cylinder in it they gotta sell it as a cartridge gun as well. Personally I think that's just plain stupid but they're paranoid of the govt. Oh well. .. But a .452" bullet rattling down a .457" barrel sounds stupid too!

Monte Walsh

lovesrugers

Posted: February 05 2017 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote lovesrugers

Yes they shoot a .457 ball but the barrels are .451 to .452.
Ruger used the standard Blackhawk barrels on them.

Ruger
Old Army cartridge converter

The page above states this fact:
Quote:
The Ruger Old ArmyŽ bore diameter is actually .452"
nominal, which is the same as the .45 Long Colt bore.
Back to Top View lovesrugers's Profile Search for other posts by lovesrugers

RT58

Posted: February 06 2017 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

The Rugers are slightly larger than .44 cal. C&B revolvers because it's supposed to be a .45. Lymans P&R Handbook no. 1 listed the Rugers groove dia. as .450 while the Lyman .44 had a groove dia. of .448 and a bore dia. of .440.

I don't know for sure why they suggested a .457 dia. ball since all my .44s didn't require projectiles that were that oversized. But the .457 dia. was the reason I never owned one since the others would all shoot the same ones.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

Old Ranger

Posted: February 06 2017 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Well I'm just gonna sit this out now until I get the weapon in question. Slug & mike the bore. I recall the bore being bigger, but again I'm depending upon memory from 42 years ago too. But I DO distinctly remember loading .456" conical bullets cast from an early Lee single cavity mould and I still have that mould. So we'll see what this one is in a bit....

Monte Walsh

Old Ranger

Posted: March 25 2017 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Been shooting this piece for a while now. A .454" round ball works but doesn't seat and seal tightly in the chambers. The .456" old Lee conical seats and seals well. Accuracy is so-so. Got and old single cavity Ideal .457" mould and it seats and seals well. Also with a 40gr equivalent load of American Pioneer Powder fffG the round ball proved the most accurate too.
The bore slugged out to .452". Guess depending on memory from a weapon I had decades ago and not for long at that proved inaccurate to say the least! My apologies for being so hard headed.

On the range the 40gr/round ball load managed a centered 5" group at 25yds with a two hand hold. Best I could do with two minor strokes behind me giving less than stellar coordination for shooting. But being able to hit a paper plate at that distance for me is an accomplishment. Still 5" is "Minute of Chest Cavity" and good enough for me.

The conversion cylinder loaded with 255gr RNFP Magtech Cowboy load .45Colt actually shot better with under 4" and a tad high. The linked together loading lever of course comes apart in your hands when pulled making cylinder swaps and such awkward and slow. It's not a Remington 1858 Army. But I fired 10 rounds of .45Colt then cleaned the cylinder and put it back in the box. If I want a 45Colt I'll buy a Single Action Army or an 1875 Remington in that caliber.

Overall fit and finish is good. Manufactured in 1998, in the original box with all documents and tool. It was a good purchase for me, though I could have done without the conversion cylinder. Think I'll sell that.

Monte Walsh

richhodg66

Posted: March 25 2017 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Gonna get me a Ruger Old Army one of these days. Sounds like you have a worthy weapon there.

RECURVE

Posted: March 25 2017 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote RECURVE

Can you all tell me if the Uberta BP handguns are deacent
guns I got 7.5 inch 357 cattleman and really like it.
Back to Top View RECURVE's Profile Search for other posts by RECURVE

Old Ranger

Posted: March 25 2017 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

The weapons built by Uberti are premium quality! Fit, finish, and timing are stunning. Best on the market hands down.

Monte Walsh

RECURVE

Posted: March 26 2017 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote RECURVE

That's right on with the 357 I got no drag marks on the cyl
no leading I like it. Only thing is after market grips not
much choice because of style I assume.

Old Ranger

Posted: March 26 2017 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Anything that fits a Colt Peacemaker/Single Action Army fits em. Loads of grips available! Tons in fact!

Edit: Also check eBay and such too. Found a set of Hogue smooth ivory for my '51 Navy for $30 delivered. And there are custom grip makers on the net that'll build anything you want.

Edited by Old Ranger on March 26 2017 at 4:43pm

Monte Walsh

RECURVE

Posted: March 27 2017 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote RECURVE

The grips do not have grip screw they slide on the frame
you have to take the grip frame off.

Old Ranger

Posted: March 28 2017 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Yes sir, that's called One Piece but there are two piece as well. They use both. One Piece are not the only grips but Uberti uses them a lot. Pieta as well. Often checkered too.
The manufacturer will use one piece mostly as they've got tooling set for that style and it's easier for mass production and the style is a carryover from the BP weapons.

Monte Walsh

RECURVE

Posted: March 28 2017 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote RECURVE

The point is their is not very many one piece options
unless you mean they will fit 2 piece also?

Old Ranger

Posted: April 27 2017 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Ruger Old Army update :

Still shooting the daylights outta this piece. All with the BP cylinder of course. That conversion cylinder is still in the box and not been used since I cleaned it and put it away. I'm on the fence with it as to sell it or keep it for the occasional cartridge shooting capabilities it offers. Likely not get much for the conversion cylinder anyway. Oh well.

Using APP 3f powder really is great in this pistol. Sure, I shot a bit with BP and it did well but began to get the old fouling on the little basepin issue that shuts things down after a reload or two. APP 3f makes its own lube when you shoot and with the tight gas seal from the big ball I simply load w/o any wad. Just dump the powder. Load the ball and cap. I can shoot well past 6 reloads with zero fouling locking up the revolver. Great stuff that APP powder. When the hoarders bought up all the powder a few years ago I loaded my cartridge revolvers with APP powder and did quite well until the "panic" subsided and smokeless was again seen for sale.

So, I'm still tickled with this pistol and don't intend to let it go. 40gr equivalent of APP 3f and a .457" ball is about an 85% load. It is accurate enough for me and hits with some authority as well. Plenty enough for any intrusions from unwanted visitors 2 or 4 legged. Though not as brutal as my 2nd Model Dragoon, the Ruger makes up for it in lighter weight and better sights. Overall I'm covered with this weapon's ability to do what's expected.

Monte Walsh

dahlin

Posted: May 27 2017 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote dahlin

Old Ranger I think its a good idea to keep that cylinder you may never use it but some day that revolver will belong to some one else and they might like to have it. Might not be to easy to replace it just my thought Randy
Back to Top View dahlin's Profile Search for other posts by dahlin

Old Ranger

Posted: May 28 2017 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Since my last installment, there was a malfunction and breakage with this weapon. After careful study it was determined that the cause was directly attribuited to the .45Colt conversion cylinder. Producing an all together different recoil shock, it accelerated the factory "glue job" on the loading lever lug to fail. I have since repaired it correctly with silver solder and the weapon is now certified as safe and functional. But I will not use the conversion cylinder ever again as I have zero faith in it.

I was going to sell the weapon as it have lost some of it's alure, but knowing the area in which I live that is not going to happen as people here are little impressed by this weapon and don't have the money for it either. So I'm stuck with it. Thus I choose to shoot it as it was designed, a cap and ball revolver. I'm going to have my neighbor sell the cylinder on ebay for me and I'll be done with it.

If I want a .45Colt pistol I'll buy one designed for it. Uberti builds dozens of them in different models and such. As to future owners of this Old Army? I'm not going to worry about it as I'll likely be dead as a doornail and they can do as I did all my life... Search for parts and gear like the rest of us.

Not intending to sound like a grumpy old man (which I am) but Once again Ruger has "slipped me a mikey" and just drove another nail in my "Ruger Coffin". I'd been looking for a nice .243Win iron sighted bolt gun for a while. Found one at a pawn shop in great shape. It was a Ruger M77. I handed it back to the owner with a "Thanks, but no thanks". Even if he gave it to me I wouldn't take it.

Monte Walsh

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version