Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Cleaning up and Organizing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Desert Eagle41

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 28 2017 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

I have sways loaded in groups of 100 and shoot a lot less when I go to the range. Between testing rounds and getting bored with rounds that shoot good I end up with a lot of partial boxes. In an effort to organize I have been trying to "clean out" these partials and just organize in general. Three trips to the range and my 9mm and 10mm are in very good shape now. I have also found partial boxes of bullets that I am trying to reload and shoot up. Does anyone else end up with a lot of mixed partial loads and bullets left over after a few years of reloading? Just wondering if I need to reload less and shoot more. Ha Ha Craig

The_Shadow

Posted: February 28 2017 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote The_Shadow

Most of my odds are in rifle bullets, but I hang on to
those as testers if I try newer powders.

Recently I did pick up some various powders for study
and those are being used to test a few things.

Now about the Cleaning up & Organizing, I too need to
dig in deep and serious overhaul of my hobby room.

LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Menber
BASS Life Menber
Back to Top View The_Shadow's Profile Search for other posts by The_Shadow

Desert Eagle41

Posted: February 28 2017 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Funny as I do buy larger quantities of 9mm , 10mm, and 45 but I think when things were tite a couple of years ago I bought a lot of smaller quantities of stuff that was available at the time and am now burning through it. I also have too many strange calibers like 41AE that I have stuff for but no empties to reload. Do have a lot of rounds thanks to Setso RIP and I will shoot them eventually and of course reload them. Ya know just seems like a lot of stuff.Ha Ha Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: February 28 2017 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Just when I thought I was getting ahead my American Reloading order of Hydra SHok 9mm just showed up so I have a few hundred of these to sort through and this is bad as some Hi Shok are also in this order. That is just a brief setback as I will load them and shoot some ASAP Graig

JD45

Posted: February 28 2017 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote JD45

I know what you mean. I did that for years.

Now, I have one load for USPSA competition that I load in big quantities. And one load for trap.

If I'm experimenting I make very small lots. For deer hunting, I'll get a load tested and sighted in and sometimes only load 5 good rounds. I usually have factory ammo too in case a war starts
Back to Top View JD45's Profile Search for other posts by JD45

Ham Gunner

Posted: February 28 2017 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

When I first started reloading I was always searching for that perfect bullet and load combination. I never loaded more than my test loads unless the accuracy was there and then I would load up a larger quantity. But I too ended up with partial boxes of bullets and partial containers of powder when things did not work out to my liking.

I learned over the years that it was futile to search for the perfect load as there were just way too many variables so I settled down and started studying internal ballistics more using the case capacity and powder preferences with weight of bullets that I wanted and eliminated lots of unnecessary load work up and testing.

But there were still times when I would run across new powders and bullets that I really wanted to try. Seems like this hobby just will not let one remain stagnant long as components keep changing or the availability gets limited.

After Bill Clinton got into office and we started facing component shortages due to everyone overstocking on supplies, I decided to stock up myself after things settled down a bit. I have maintained larger and more comfortable supplies of components, but I also started limiting the types and amounts of components that I would use for each caliber. I ended up with much more ammo loaded up and sitting on the shelves due to the fact that   I was no longer just burning it up during testing.

Well, I do seem to shoot less now days and that is a bummer. But when I do take out a rifle or handgun even after months or years of just sitting idle, the gun is normally sighted in for the ammo and I already know the capability of the bullet and the ballistics of the load.

Life is simpler and I find that I have been having much less trigger time, but the trigger time is without surprises. I am still happy.

Edited by Ham Gunner on February 28 2017 at 9:27am

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

Desert Eagle41

Posted: February 28 2017 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well Ham I certainy resemble your comments. I am slowing down somewhat but after retiring I do have more time just no stength to use it correctly. Oh well I will keep everyone updated on the 9mm Hydra Shok. Craig

RT58

Posted: February 28 2017 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

Since my disability I haven't been shooting like I used to, but last year my grand daughter asked me to teach her how to shoot. I cleaned up my loading room last spring and found a lot more extras than I thought I had. I used to shoot the .41 AE but the last time I took it to the range a guy was stealing my brass as I was shooting it, so it's in semi-retirement.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

Desert Eagle41

Posted: February 28 2017 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

RT58 I got the 41 AE at a gun show and the guy selling it sware to me it could be converted to 9mm with a barrel swap and magazine and spring . It was a Tanfolgia so I got it at a steel of a price and called Tan and they sent out the barrel/spring and I don't really remember if the mag was different or not. There was a nub that was attached to the spring that I didn't feel like changing so I shot with the 41 spring in and had to load up the 9mm to work properly but it did with no problems. I have a lot of 9mm so converted it back to 41 and really chase the brass. A member of the forum sent me some loads and sadly passed away. but now I could shoot for a long time with what I have on hand. Wish I could find some brass nut I have looked to no avail. Nice gun and I have the stuff to go to 9mm if the rounds run out.Craig

Rex

Posted: February 28 2017 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

After all the years and known good loads why does a man keep loading different stuff in the hopes of finding something magical? I end up having to take a box full of odds and ends out just to burn them up. I've not been able to beat the accuracy of 4 grains HP38 with a 150 grain 358477 bullet in .38 Special but I keep trying.
If I want a .357 load 14 grains 2400 under a 358156 gas check bullet or 13 grains of the same powder under a non-checked lead bullet works just fine but I keep looking.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Desert Eagle41

Posted: February 28 2017 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

I am exactly the same way. I load 6.3g of power pistol 115g for 9mm and it is as perfect as I have found but then a friend needs a different load for something and I start testing. It will never end but I enjoy it. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: March 01 2017 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Ok just loaded 147g hydra shok with 5.0g Power Pistol and we will see how they do in 9mm when it stops raining. Oh yeah I did get mostly 147g in the American order as it is a mixed lot with no idea as to what quantities you will end up with. Doesn't really matter to me as they all shoot. Craig

Desertrat

Posted: March 01 2017 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Desertrat

Yes...I have a bunch of half-shot plastic boxes of 9mm, .38 Super....44 special etc. As long as I know I
have my chrono data recorded for all the different loads
I just shoot them up in the boonies or at the range. After so many years of reloading, I already KNOW what my best loads per caliber are.

NRA Patron Member
USCG Veteran
Back to Top View Desertrat's Profile Search for other posts by Desertrat

RT58

Posted: March 02 2017 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

Craig, I got into the .41AE before the .40 S&W came out and bought brass when it was available. The last time I looked there was a site selling it for $80.00 for 50 rounds, when they have it available.

I'd thought about trying to make some on my hobby lathe from .41 mag. or 10 mm brass but my machinery skills are very limited and I need to make a jig to hold the brass.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: March 02 2017 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

It may have been before your time on the forum but a man named Setso sent me 850 rounds from California just before he passed away so I have those minus some I shot and reloaded so I got some to use over time but would like more if available at a reasonable price but I will not make them as I did that with 300 blackout with 223 spent shells and never again is all I'll say about that. The 41 ae is interesting sort of a 41 mag short. But not that interesting and I can see why is is a distance memory. Craig

RT58

Posted: March 03 2017 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

I started making a prototype case holding jig for .41 brass, then accidently put a fired .40 S&W case in it instead of a .41 AE. It was close enough that I thought I'd try using 10mm brass and not have to work the rim and groove as much.

Then I decided that if I was going to do that I could just shorten the 10mm case to length and fit the 1911 barrel to a Delta Elite and not have to work the rim and groove at all.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: March 04 2017 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well I just think it would much easier to forget the 41AE and use either a 9mm or 10mm as needed. But that is just me. Ha Ha!!

RT58

Posted: March 04 2017 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

While I am more of a revolver fan, I do shoot a variety of auto's in assorted calibers. The 1911 .41 AE is the most accurate auto I've ever shot.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: March 05 2017 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Interesting as I never shot my 41 enough to form am opinion one way or the other but being a reloader I feel if you work long enough with a round you can usually get it to work very well in any gun. Craig

RT58

Posted: March 05 2017 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote RT58

I had played with the cartridge quite a bit, first with a Browning High Power then I built the 1911. It had a lot of potential but fell victim to the expert authors that said it wasn't needed, and then the same expert authors swooned all over the .40 S&W.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version