Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
General Discussion
 Handloads.Com Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: Gun Show yesterday Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
richhodg66

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 12 2017 at 5:26am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Went to the Chisolm Trail Gun Show in Wichita yesterday. I strongly prefer very small town gun shows and have pretty much quit going to bigger ones, but have to admit, I was pretty impressed with this one. Lots of old and interesting stuff including a lot of reloading stuff. I know this one was sponsored by a big gun club there that seems to be mostly black powder and cowboy action guys, maybe that's the reason.

I only bought a bullet mold, great deal though, ancient Ideal single cavity for the .38-55 I'm working with now. Now, if I'd had a pocket full of hundred dollar bills to play with, things would have been different.

I've always loved gun shows, and the weather was pretty bad yesterday so an indoor activity was good. There's another one own in Wichita next weekend, but I think it's a commercially sponsored one, so probably won't be nearly as good for a guy like me.

Rex

Posted: March 12 2017 at 6:05am | IP Logged Quote Rex

I haven't been to a gun show for a while. Our small ones out here never seem to have molds and only a few powders and to an old codger like me, everything seems really high priced. There is a bigger one down in Grand Island that I'd like to see once though.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

richhodg66

Posted: March 12 2017 at 6:33am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

The trouble with reloading stuff is I have more dies than I have guns for and probably more molds than I need. The .38-55 is kind of a new project, so I can use that mold.

Most of the powder I saw was about what the going rate for it is at retail stores so no big bargains there. Still, it was good to see it available.

Rex

Posted: March 12 2017 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote Rex

I have a nice old Marlin 93 in 38-55 that my Granddad gave me many years ago. I still have a box and a half of Peters Rustless ammo for it but have thought about reloading. The fine sights on that 26" barrel are getting pretty hard for me to see anymore so it sits in the cabinet most of the time.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

joed

Online Status: Online
Posted: March 12 2017 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote joed

I quit going to gunshows.   With the price of admission we have
stores here that sell anything I can get at the show cheaper.    Most
of the guns I've seen sell more then new and they are used.

Ham Gunner

Posted: March 12 2017 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

I had the transmission go south in my old S10 Blazer and did not want to just draw out of my savings so I decided to sell a couple of guns and some extra stuff in my reloading shack that is just taking up space. Decided on a Turkish made Charles Daly over/under 12 gauge and my Thompson (Tommy gun).

Last weekend we had a small gun show right here in my home town at the Elks Lodge. Always draws a decent crowd and all the tables are normally full. I got a table and along with a buddy of mine that wanted to sell a few handguns, we had our table full.

Mostly collectible rifles and handguns, but there were a lot of new or like new handguns, especially semi-autos. My buddy sold two handguns and I sold most of my junk and the over/under shotgun. Nice friendly gun show though, even if it was small. I had a couple of guys that were interested in the Thompson and took my phone #, but I never heard back from any of them.

This weekend was the big gunshow in Springfield and I still needed more money to replace the transmission so I took my (Tommy gun) along and just slung if over my shoulder and walked around looking at the show. Had lots of admirers especially since in was a WWII commemorative but nobody wanted to give up that much cash.

After I had made it mostly throughout the entire show I finally had a guy look me up that heard there was a Thompson for sale. We discussed it a bit and I eventually dropped the price down to what I was wanting and he bought it. He got a decent deal and I got my money back for what I had in it. Both happy.

Lots of powder and primers at the show to include almost all brands and types of power, but looked like CCI primers were the bulk of what was available. Primers $30/k and powders were $23/lb to just over $30/lb depending upon the brand.

I bought three hundred .308 dia. 125gr. Sierra SPT for my Son's 7.62X40 Wilson Tactical AR for $23/hundred that seem to be scarce theses days because they are quickly scarfed up by the (Blackout) shooters. These were bulk Sierra seconds that are only sold at the Sierra factory in Sedalia, Missouri. The flaw is only a little extra string of lead attached to the lead tip of the bullets. With just a flip of the thumb nail, all is well. They are perfect otherwise and weight is very consistent.

I need to take a road trip up to Sedalia to check out their supply of seconds. I have always heard that they go fast, but as soon as I get my transmission fixed I might just go check it out. I know I can beat the $23/hundred price, but then it would be a tank of gas round trip.

I just don't shoot many jacketed rounds these days, so it might not happen.

Edited by Ham Gunner on March 12 2017 at 9:32am

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

richhodg66

Posted: March 12 2017 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I never go to gun shows looking for new stuff, never. That's why I hate big city shows as a general rule, but this one was better. Most everything I have any interest in at all has been discontinued so gun shows and perusing pawn shops and brick and mortar gun shops is about all there is.

farmall

Posted: March 21 2017 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote farmall

Last few shows I've been to locally have been pretty dead. Our
hometown show normally runs out of table space, but was less than
50% capacity this year.
I suppose the panic buying has maybe run its course?

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version