Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: Sizing Cast Bullets Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Old Ranger

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 26 2017 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Rex, when I opened the new bottle of LLA it was a might thick. So I cranked up the mighty hairdryer and heated it up a bit. And as you said, it needs to be warm to work. That quick tumbling worked fast when the warm lube hit room temperature bullets. Instant bonding. Quite impressive. Coated great!

Randy, those decades of casting taught me much but at the same time it also hindered further learning by becoming highly stagnant in accepting new things. I was, for the most part, still casting like my old uncle taught me in the late 50's, and in 60 when I began to cast and load on my own. Those old methods are good, but they sure don't allow for advanced thinking at times. Only recently have I seriously started to accept newer techniques and methods. And I have to say the results are stacking up on the positive side. As an old dog learning new tricks, I'm a happy dog with grey whiskers.

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Old Ranger

Posted: April 30 2017 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

OK, I was in town the other day and stopped in to visit at a shop that has another old reloader there. He and I got to discussing this buisness about sizing and throat size v.s. bullet size and so forth. I was telling him about the tight fitting .358" in my two .38's and how they don't pass through the throats of the chambers, they shoot great. Then Igot onto the subject of my .44Mag single action. A bore of .429" groove to groove. Throats will let a .429" and a .430" bullet just fall right through with zero resistance. Now when I said that he smiled and said, and I quote "Doesn't matter. As long as you're sized to fit the bore and the throats are not squeezing bullets down below bore diameter, it doesn't matter." I began to explain the current shared opinion of many here at this forum about sizing to throat diameter and forgetting about the bore. He chuckled and asked if the rounds I shoot sized at .429" or .430" lead up the bore when I shoot? I said the .429" lead up a might but the .430" do much better and only lead some in the forcing cone and the first inch of the bore or less. Again he smiled and said "Lube. You get lead from a .430" it's lube that ya need to watch. Your sizing is fine. And forget worring about the throats on your .44. If they're big, it doesn't matter."

We got onto the issue I had with my .44 leading up and me changing to copper plated store bought bullets. These shoot with utmost accuracy from a mag case and with 7gr of Unique in a Spl case it becomes like magic. Again when I told him of those bullets falling through the throats like a BB down a drain pipe, he chuckled and said it doesn't matter. But ever since the multiple leading issues with the .44 I just switched to plated and moved on and not cast another .44 bullet other than to try an unsized .429" Lee 200gr RNFP. It leaded the whole bore! Too bad too as it was one of the VERY FEW Lee bullet moulds that worked for me. Oh well. After that I quit casting .44's.

So there's more confusing data, discussion, and thoughts on sizing, throats, and life with pistol reloading!

Monte Walsh

Buffalogun

Posted: May 13 2017 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

This tray contains three different 452" cast bullets. All of LEE design. 452-200swc, 452-200rf and the 452-252swc. Still working with the 452-200swc but the other two shoot well in my guns.

I dipped these in diluted LLA by holding the noses with a pair of needle nosed pliers. It is quicker to do than it may sound. Its quicker than the lubrisizer.

By lubing this way, the noses stay clean and will not pick up debris. They shoot fine. I stand them up after dipped and tip them over after the sides dry in order to let the bases dry.

I lube rifle bullets the same way, but dip them twice. If I need to size them I do it first, usually with a LEE sizer.

Mike

noylj

Posted: May 13 2017 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote noylj

For me, I don't really tumble.
I cast 200-500 bullets and then get ready to lube.
I place them on their sides in a glass casserole dish and squirt a "Z" of LLA
over them. If the LLA is thick, I either warm it up or add a little mineral spirits.
Then I shuffle/rotate them to about 30-60 seconds. I look at them all and
make sure that they all look wet and shiny. If there is any doubt, I squirt a little
more LLA on them and shuffle/rotate for another 30-60 seconds.
After inspecting, I pour them onto wax paper or aluminum foil and let them dry
overnight. There is almost no LLA on the paper or foil.
This works great for all my bullet needs. Bullets are as-cast and the lube is
almost invisible after drying. A little goes a long way.

Edited by noylj on May 13 2017 at 5:00pm

Old Ranger

Posted: May 13 2017 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Ya know I do similar with a heated homemade lube and a 110 volt wax heating device ladies use to make the house smell nice. Me, well it heats beeswax and such. So I dip the bases in the hot wax. Hold for a few seconds and set em off on wax paper. Then when the wax is still quite soft they get run through the a 310 sizing chamber.

So with similar methods here it should be a snap to set up a LLA dipping tub in miniature.

Monte Walsh

Old Ranger

Posted: May 15 2017 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Noylj, I've been just following the directions on the container. Old bowl shaped ice cream container with about a hundred or so unsized .358" castings with some warmed up LLA dribbled on top. Some sloshing around and such then dumped on a waxpaper lined cookie sheet. Its so humid here I have to give em a couple days or more plus they sit inside the oven to avoid "cat interference" and hair!

I fired 18 RCBS 140gr RNFP .38Spl loads of 4.5gr of Red Dot at 15yds today with my favorite .38. The Richards & Mason conversion of an 1860 Colt Army 5 1/2" put em all into a nice tight group with several in the same hole or touching. 3.2gr Red Dot and the old Ideal 360271 SWC opened up a bit but after 36 rounds there was just a small amount of lead in the forcing cone and lead of the barrel. Nothing a couple of passes of a brush couldn't handle. Not going to TL the 271's anymore though since I have to size em anyway. But the 140gr RNFP and the Lyman 358665 are great as both drop right at .358" and TL in a heartbeat. Love it!

I'm enjoying this TL stuff now.

Monte Walsh

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version