Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: Bullet lube Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
dahlin

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 03 2017 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote dahlin

Wade why don't you just get a bottle of Lee liquid Alox it works great for me and its easy.
Back to Top View dahlin's Profile Search for other posts by dahlin

Old Ranger

Posted: April 03 2017 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

I use LLA on my smaller castings that cast close to .358" with reasonable success. However, many of my moulds are quite old and cast much larger in the neighborhood of .360" or so. That big requires sizing or they won't chamber. Thus if I'm having to size them, lube injection from the sizer/lube tool is a logical choice.

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

dahlin

Posted: April 04 2017 at 5:39am | IP Logged Quote dahlin

I also have to size my cast bullets I lube size and do a light lube again with LLA works great don't need a lot of lube. I do about 100 at a time in small plastic jar and a small dollop of lube. And have had zero leading in over a thousand rounds from this winters casting. Randy
Back to Top View dahlin's Profile Search for other posts by dahlin

Old Ranger

Posted: April 04 2017 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

For years I really despised LLA. I got some back in the 90's just never got used to it and at that time it was a failure. Recently I dug out that same bottle from then. Thinned it down with mineral spirits and tried again with a bullet that's just a tiny bit undersized for my old Lyman 450 using a .358" h&I die. Also tested just yesterday a load with the RCBS 140gr RNFP "Cowboy" bullet unsized and coated with LLA. The accuracy was good and leading was very light just past the forcing cone. However, the lead in those 140's were from an older casting session using not so great alloy. I suspect alloy rather than lube here.

So, I'm now not opposed to LLA like I once was. But I'm old and set in my ways a bit. I don't mind using it on the two slightly undersized castings I have but I personally prefer conventional sizing and lube on the others. It's not that I'm so set in my ways that I won't budge. I tried the painted bullet routine a year or so ago. Marginal results but it was a major pain in the ass to do! Easier to simply size and lube and be done with it. Thus I'm not going to cast, size, then lube. Too many operations. Sizing and lube in the same action equates to economy of movement. And I've been loading and casting my own for 57 years now so I am a little set in my ways too.

Monte Walsh

Rex

Posted: April 04 2017 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote Rex

Wade, I also have some White Label 45-45-10. It seems to do OK but I just never got used to the looks 0f it.
Being cheap, I size in a Lee push through then set the bullets up in an old tin skillet filled with Beeswax and Vaseline mix. The holes are there from the last lube job and I just stick the bullets in those holes, add a little lube if it gets too low to fill the grooves and melt on a hot plate, let cool and cut out with a home made cake cutter. I could probably use a better lube but this seems to work.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Old Ranger

Posted: April 04 2017 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Rex that sounds like it works for ya pretty well. The old tried and true pan lube method just plain works.
I got a little creative a couple years ago and bought a 110VAC wax warmer thing used for scented wax in the house, but when melting lube its great for dipping. Hold the bullet nose, dip in the wax, and set base first on waxed paper. Then run em through the old 310 bullet sizing chamber. A swipe from a rag on the bottom and usually ready to go.
Rest of the time it's all done with a Lyman 450 unit all neat and tidy. When I've got lube, and that's been remedied by Hamgunner, bless his heart.

Monte Walsh

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version