Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: hornady gas checks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ronnieboy

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 31 2017 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote Ronnieboy

hi fellas, I was wondering if the gas check has to click on the base of the bullet or can it be just squeezed by the sizer . Im loading some cast with the gas check taper for my 357 mag. very few of the bullets click when the check is installed. the check is in proper alignment and in correct position on the bullets regardless of click or not. Your opinions appreciated. Ron    

Rex

Posted: March 31 2017 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Rex

That is about the way mine act also. I use a Lee push through sizer and after they come out they are tight on the bullet shank. Squeeze one through and see but I bet you are OK.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Ronnieboy

Posted: March 31 2017 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote Ronnieboy

I also use the Lee push thru sizer with 45/45/10 lube. I just worry about the check being square with the bullet base. All appear to be correct, just checking.   pun intended hahah.

Ham Gunner

Posted: March 31 2017 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Ron, the Hornady checks do have a built in crease at the edges that will dig into the base of the bullet upon sizing. I have also used Lyman's checks and although they do not have the little crimp on their edges, I have not really had problems with them wanting to come off after sizing.

For several years now I have been making my own checks out of various thicknesses of aluminum sheeting, normally flashing. I use check making hand tools and it is a slow process, but I can make plenty in just a couple of hours.

I can vary the thickness of the metal slightly as the diameter of the check crimp area at the base of the bullet dictates to help with fit. Not all bullet molds will produce the same diameter at the base of the bullet and alloy type also dictates the cast diameter of the bullets.

But unless there is a drastic contrast between the size of the check and the base of the bullet, I have found that the check is usually fastened on decently well just by the sizing operation.

About the only thing that I would be concerned about if a check still had a slightly loose fit after sizing would be if the base of the bullet extended below the neck of a bottle necked case. In which case, it might be possible for the check to come off the base of the bullet prior to firing. I choose bullets that fit my chamber so that the base of the bullet does not extend below the neck on my bottle neck cases. And in one rifle I utilized a throater to increase the amount of OAL of the bullet that the chamber would allow. But in this case, it worked out well for both the long jacketed bullets that I intended to use if not using the cast bullets.

Once the bullet and check are driven down the bore pushed by thousands of psi of pressure, the check is not coming off until it is outside the bore. There is plenty of discussion of whether a check needs to remain on the bullet throughout it's travel to the target in order to give the proper accuracy, but I have found plenty of checks on the ground between the bench and the target with a few of my bullets and there does not seem to be a problem with accuracy.

I have read where some cast shooters are OCD enough that they clean the base of the bullet with alcohol and put a small drop of glue inside the check prior to crimping. But I doubt it is necessary unless the fit is extremely incompatible and one has the bullet base seated below the neck of a bottle necked case.

Edited by Ham Gunner on March 31 2017 at 11:13am

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

Rex

Posted: March 31 2017 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Rex

If a man has to glue the check on I think I would melt down and repour to get the base to fill out better. I usually find my .357 checks in the target pit.

Ham Gunner

Posted: March 31 2017 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

I have had to hone a few molds to enlarge the diameter that they threw in order to fit my bores. Undersized molds are to blame, but correction is possible but tedious work.

I did have a mishap with a stray check taking out the display on my Chrony. I now have a Chrony with the remote display head sitting on the bench beside me. Proper sized bullets seldom loose their checks from my experience, but I had been experimenting with different types and diameters of aluminum for my checks when my mishap occurred. Totally my fault.

Edited by Ham Gunner on March 31 2017 at 10:55am

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

Rex

Posted: March 31 2017 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

I've looked at aluminum checks but still haven't tried them. A thousand Hornady checks go a long way especially since I only shoot the 358156 once in a great while.

richhodg66

Posted: March 31 2017 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I've had good experience with aluminum checks, but you're right, a box lasts a while in most calibers. I try to get away with plain based bullets as much as possible anyway.

Ronnieboy

Posted: March 31 2017 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote Ronnieboy

Thanks Ham Gunner, all checks seem to be tight, but I pulled one off when 2 of the bullets stuck together with the bullet lube. I think it should be ok, I lightly crimp the cases to be sure they stay tight. Cant hurt, but thanks for the info, I knew you guys would know if it would work or not. I'm starting to shoot more home made bullets, kind of satisfying to shoot your own. ;)

Edited by Ronnieboy on March 31 2017 at 4:52pm

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version