Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: Cast Bullets in the Ruger American .45ACP Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
John Van Gelder

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 06 2017 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

It's me, I am still alive..

I got the bug for a couple of new semi auto pistols, A Ruger 9mm and a Ruger American in .45ACP. I have the 9 shooting cast bullets quite nicely, but the Ruger .45 is causing me to pull my hair out.

My plan was to use my old stand by mold the H&G #68 a 200 grain SWC, that just shoots like a charm in all of my 1911 pattern guns. I just cannot get it to feed in the Ruger, I have tried sizing the bullets at .451 and .452. Changed powder/charges, seating depth and bullet alloy. I get stove pipes, sometimes the round jams at about a 45 deg., angle, on the way into the chamber, with the rim still in the magazine, and I have even had it feed the empty back into the magazine, can't imagine how that happened.

I tried all of the .45 molds I had and the one that worked best, was my Lee 255gr. RNFP .45 Colt bullet.

I did not have a lot of factory ammo, but what I had seemed to work well.

I am starting to think that the H&G bullet is just too long for the magazine.feed ramp configuration on this gun.

I am thinking about the Lee 230 gr. Truncated cone bullet
I would really like to get my H&G bullet to work, it does not look like that will happen.

j
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Rex

Posted: April 06 2017 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

John, I can't help with the .45 but it is sure good to see you back on the forum!
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

John Van Gelder

Posted: April 06 2017 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I will try to be more conspicuous..
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

John Van Gelder

Posted: April 07 2017 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Over time I have pretty well settled on a couple of bullets for my 1911 pattern .45s. The H&G 200 gr, SWC and the H&G 240 gr., SWC. But many years ago, back in the 60s I had the standard 225 gr, round nose lyman mold. Since I could not get either of the H&G bullets to work reliably in the Ruger, I started digging through my supply of .45ACP ammo. Down in the bottom of the ammo can I found a box of the 225 gr., cast bullets I loaded up back in 1970, I loaded up a magazine full and went up to the other side of the ridge to try them out, the gun functioned flawlessly.

I have a new mold on order..I guy can't have too many bullet molds..!

Still no idea why the 200 gr. H&G bullet would not work.

twillis

Posted: April 07 2017 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote twillis

My son had a Para Ordnance 1911 that would feed the 200 H&G particularly well. We didn't spend much time playing with it as he decided he wanted something else more and got rid of it.

Terry
Back to Top View twillis's Profile Search for other posts by twillis

Paul B.

Posted: April 07 2017 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote Paul B.

"I get stove pipes, sometimes the round jams at about a 45 deg.,
angle,
on the way into the chamber, with the rim still in the magazine, and I
have even had it feed the empty back into the magazine, can't imagine
how that happened."

Not sure on the stove pipes without seeing and shooting the gun
myself
but polishing the feed ramp would probably cure the 45 degree jam.
I've
always polished the feed ramps on all my semi auto pistols just as a
matter of principle. Could be part of the problem is a rough ramp and
maladjusted magazine lips. How stiff a load are you using. Could be
your load is not causing the slide to come back not quite fast enough
causing the stove pipes.
Paul B.

Edited by Paul B. on April 07 2017 at 11:44am
Back to Top View Paul B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Paul B.

Old Ranger

Posted: April 07 2017 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

John, my stock mid 80's Springfield Armory 1911A1 is 100% unaltered. It will function only with plated or FMJ 230 RN or...
Yup, you guessed it, Ideal 452374 225gr RN cast. And they better be up close to G.I. velocity too.

When I got up this morning I was going to recommend the 452374 mould but got caught up in other stuff and forgot. I do that a lot lately too. Forget stuff that is!

Have fun with those shooters!

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

John Van Gelder

Posted: April 07 2017 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Paul

After the way those RN 225s fed this morning I do not think the ramp is the problem, it came pretty well polished from the factory.

I was using an upper end load, nearly 1100 fps. with the 200 gr. bullet, and right around 19,000 psi.

That load feeds nicely in both my Colt and my AMT.

I ordered a 230 gr. TC design bullet, hopefully that will do the trick.

At the end of the day revolvers are easier. A primer a little powder and any old bullet and they work.

RT58

Posted: April 08 2017 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote RT58

I had to go look the gun up and read the owners manual while I was at it. They claim it will feed any load made to SAAMI specifications, but it sounds like they may be wrong, unless your load is too long.

It sounds like the SWC nose profile just isn't compatible with the guns feed angle. You might be able to alter the magazine feed lips to get it to work, but that could end up with a magazine that won't feed anything.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

John Van Gelder

Posted: April 08 2017 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

RT58

I would rather not do anything to the magazines. I found a list of the various ammunition the reviewer at Gunblast, tested through the Ruger American 45. About the middle of the list was a 200 gr. SWC, the other end was some of the Ruger non metallic ammo with a 115 gr, bullet, and the heavy loads were some of the Buffalo Bore 255 gr. RNFP bullets.

My thought is that weight is not as much of an issue as the bullet shape. The H&G 68 is quite long, that may be incomparable with the magazine and feed ramp angle.

The gun is a real shooter when I can get it to function, hopefully the new bullet mold I ordered will be the fix.

John Van Gelder

Posted: April 15 2017 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I got my new mold it is the Lee 230 gr. TC bullet with the standard grease groove.

I shot an entire box of those through the American and every one cycled properly. Still not sure it the problem was not enough mass for the required recoil impulse or the bullet shape.

I also loaded up several of my .45 Colt bullets the Lee 255 RNFP, but the ogive on the bullet is such to get reliable functioning, they have to be seated pretty deeply in the case, and I was getting some flattened primers.

The 230s work and seem to shoot very well, and that shape should be a real joy to load into a single action revolver or into my 94 Winchester in .45 Colt. That bullet in hard alloy drops out of the mold at .453.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version