Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: 41 AE Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Desert Eagle41

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 08 2017 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Boy I have lost my mind this time for your enjoyment I hope. A member of the forum and I have been talking about 41 AE lately and I got a wild idea that I want to try out on you all. He was talking about taking 10mm or 41 mag to make brass as it's just barely available. I have done this with making 300 blackout and it's too much trouble. The problem with 41 AE is the head is 9mm if I am saying it right. It's where you put the primer in is 9mm and then the case goes to 41. I thought why not try to expand a 9mm case and be done with it. Well it is a little short but just seat the bullet higher in the case. Well I did one and there is another problem, There is quite a indentation between the bullet and the case head that will expand when shot but not sure it is safe or what ever. I will try to expand the case further but remember I am using a 41 mag die set which makes adjustment of dies a little strange. What do you all think crazy or what. Craig

P.S. I am thinking about calling this setup "41 short shorts" after the girls of the 50's short shorts. Ha Ha

Desert Eagle41

Posted: April 08 2017 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well I did one and it is OK as it chambered but I still don't know about the indentation issue. I realize a picture would be nice but picture a 9mm with a 210g bullet shoved into it. If anyone has anything to say I am all ears Craig

Old Ranger

Posted: April 08 2017 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

You're scarring the hell outta me!
That's not something that I'd attempt but then again, I'm very cautious and conservative after having many destroyed weapons brought to my shop. Your choice I suppose.
If you choose to follow through with this I recommend remote firing of a weapon for the initial testing. Good luck.

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Desert Eagle41

Posted: April 08 2017 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Thanks for the reply Old Ranger. I am loading light as hodgden has the 210 XTP at 4.1 to 4.6 and I loaded at 4.3 Your idea of remote firing is a good one all so. Craig

RT58

Posted: April 08 2017 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

I wouldn't pull the trigger on those! And I hope this isn't too late. I know what you mean by the "indentation" as I have a couple 9mm cases that were fired in .40S&W handguns. The part of the body that is just in front of the web will not be supported when fired, it is thick and it may not blow out the first time you fire them, but I'm sure they won't last for long.

I'd seen officers put the wrong ammo in their weapons several times during training, 9mm in .40S&W and .40S&W in .45ACP. They didn't burst, but they did jam the pistols and one thing different in your case is that the extractor wasn't made for their smaller rims whereas yours is made for that rim.

Let someone you don't like pull the trigger.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

Ham Gunner

Posted: April 08 2017 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Desert Eagle41 wrote:
Boy I have lost my mind this time for your enjoyment I hope. What do you all think crazy or what. Craig

Yep, I vote CRAZY.

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

Desert Eagle41

Posted: April 09 2017 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

What is really crazy about all this is I have 900 or so rounds that were sent to me so I could shoot those and reload. Was just dreaming out load is all. It bothers when I can't buy what I want or need is all. Oh I did run these thru a taper crimp die and they are much better so I may try one with a remote trigger if I can rig one up. Craig

Old Ranger

Posted: April 09 2017 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

As a former gunsmith specializing in handguns I strongly advise against this action. As stated earlier, you're scarring the hell outta me here. Oh course I have no control over what anyone does but if you insist on this action, then by all means use a remote firing platform, and you behind a solid barrier. Though I still believe this is a recipe for disaster.

Personally, if I lacked cartridge cases for a particular weapon and none were available, I'd put the weapon up until cases were located or sell the weapon. Simply trying to be frugal with incorrect cases doesn't pose a strong argument to defend this course of action in the face of potential dangerous effects.

Monte Walsh

Desert Eagle41

Posted: April 09 2017 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

OK,OK enough said I will NOT shoot these. Jeez you guys are no fun!!

Old Ranger

Posted: April 09 2017 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

But it's more fun if you're here in one piece though.

Monte Walsh

Desert Eagle41

Posted: April 09 2017 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well Old Ranger good point. Ah by mistake I ran the one round I loaded through the washer. Dismantled it and all looked dry but who knows it might not have fired anyway. Boy what a comedy of errors. Craig

Rex

Posted: April 09 2017 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

National Lampoon Reloading?
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Old Ranger

Posted: April 09 2017 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Good thing it didn't make it to the dryer!

Monte Walsh

RT58

Posted: April 09 2017 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

I've done some "experimenting" and my friends thought I was crazy at times too. But I did a lot of research before I tried anything out of the norm.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version