Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: I’m turning into a sissy Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rex

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 12 2017 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

I've got arthritis in my lower thumb joints and even 6 grains Unique with a 158 grain bullet in a 357 case hurts. Needless to say the target doesn't get damaged too much either. Finally dropped down to a 38 Special case with 4 grains of HP38 and a 150 grain 358477 bullet.
Lots more hits, no pain but out of my 4" 686 over my Chrony I get in the low 700s FPS.
Not a lot but it's still shooting I guess.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Ham Gunner

Posted: April 12 2017 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Rex, I certainly am not a doctor and actually not all that knowledgeable about arthritis itself, but I have had plenty of problems with inflammation in joints along with swelling around nerves that cause them to pinch and produce me lots of pain. I have osteoarthritis as well as stenosis in most of my lower back to go along with a couple of bulged discs.

I have tried over the years taking several prescription drugs such as Meloxicam, Celebrex, and others to include over the counter Ibuprofen to relieve the swelling and pain. Worked for a while but just never seemed to work for long and I hate taking things that can eventually mess up one's liver. Plus Celebrex and some of them were expensive.

I have read up on Turmeric as a joint and arthritis remedy and was very doubtful that it would help because I have tried so many different home remedy things that are being pushed out there as natural pain and joint remedies that just did not work. The more that I read up on Turmeric though, the more I started checking around and I know at least a half dozen people that stopped taking any other pain or arthritis meds and just take Turmeric and they are satisfied that it helps them just as much or more than prescription drugs.

What I take is Turmeric extract and Black Pepper extract or (Curcuma Longa root extract) which is an extract of Turmeric and (Bioperine extract) which is extracted from Black Pepper. The black pepper helps the body absorb more of the Turmeric. Home remedies have used the plain old Turmeric and Black pepper in concoctions for years, but their potency is not nearly as strong as those that use the extract.

I buy it on line in capsule form and there are probably 50 or more companies that are making some sort of this combination. One can probably find plenty at health food stores as well.

It made a believer out of me as my joint swelling and even my bulged disc pain has reduced a whole lot more than ever before even when I was taking my prescription meds.

I try to take an equivalent of 1000mg of the Turmeric extract and 10-20mg equivalent of the black pepper extract each day. I picked out capsules that have about half that amount of both in them and take one twice daily after eating and it is working wonders. They are not all that expensive online, but there are lots of cheap imitations offered that do not have but small portions of the extracts in their formula. That would only be about like taking the actual Turmeric powder and plain black pepper, which does help, but one needs the good stuff that is certified to have the proper mg of the extracts.

My dentist just told me during my last visit (yep, I still have my teeth or at least most of them) that he takes 1000mg of Turmeric extract a day and it has helped him a whole bunch more than his other meds. He said that one should drink plenty of water every day as well. Of course we all should try to drink more water anyway. He was born on the same day and year as I was. We are 65.

I hope this could help you and think it is worth a try. There does not seem to be any side effects and I have not found where it creates any problems with any prescription drugs, but I guess one should ask a Pharmacist.

It certainly helps me get up and get going and actually enjoy myself a bunch more when out hunting, fishing, or just plain ole walking around doing everyday activities.

We got to find a way to keep you out shooting and enjoying it more.    

Edited by Ham Gunner on April 12 2017 at 5:18pm

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

Ham Gunner

Posted: April 12 2017 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

- Chronic Inflammation and Pain
The journal Oncogene published the results of a study that evaluated several anti-inflammatory compounds. It found that aspirin (Bayer, etc.) and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc.) are least potent, while curcumin is among the most potent anti-inflammatory and anti-proliferative agents in the world. This means turmeric not only has great promise with chronic pain, but since it has less side effects, it may provide safe, lasting results!

- Rheumatoid Arthritis
Due to its high anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric is highly effective at helping people manage rheumatoid arthritis (RA). A recent study out of Japan evaluated its relationship with interleukin (IL)-6, the inflammatory cytokine known to be involved in the RA process, and discovered that curcumin “significantly reduced” these inflammatory markers. This suggests that regular turmeric use could be a potent strategy to prevent the onset of RA from developing to begin with!

- Diabetes
Turmeric is shown to lower blood glucose levels and reverse insulin resistance. For instance, an article published in Biochemistry and Biophysical Research Communications shared a study out of Auburn University that discovered curcumin suppresses glucose production in the liver. Fascinatingly, researchers proved that it’s actually 400 times more potent than Metformin (a common diabetes drug) in activating AMPK and its downstream target acetyl-CoA carboxylase (ACC). Turmeric acted as an anti-diabetic and antioxidant in diabetes, especially type 1 diabetes, improved metabolic function and reduced the risk of plaque buildup in the arteries of type 2 diabetes patients.

- Depression
Researchers from the Government Medical College (Bhavnagar, Gujarat, India) published the results of the first study this past April to evaluate curcumin’s ability to manage depression in a controlled setting. Taking 60 volunteers diagnosed with major depressive disorder (MDD) and diving the group to determine how patients treated by curcumin compared against fluoxetine (Prozac) and a combination of the two, it discovered that that the principal curcuminoid in turmeric is not only as effective as Prozac in managing depression, it doesn’t carry with it all the dangerous side effects as anti-depressive drugs do. According to the paper, “This study provides first clinical evidence that curcumin may be used as an effective and safe modality for treatment in patients with MDD.”

STCM(SW)

Posted: April 12 2017 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

OK Ham, you talked me into ordering some.
Will see if helps my fingers that have Arthritis....

BTW, I have 10 years on you but not as many problems it seems...

Edited by STCM(SW) on April 12 2017 at 5:18pm

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

Ham Gunner

Posted: April 12 2017 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

STCM(SW) wrote:

BTW, I have 10 years on you but not as many problems it seems...

Probably because of all that good Navy chow and black coffee.

Seriously Chief, I hope you find it helpful. I certainly believe it has helped me. I can not find anything else to explain why my joints are so much less painful. I still have pain if I don't behave myself, but if I am careful, I sometimes go for hours without even noticing the pain.

Rex

Posted: April 12 2017 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.

Old Ranger

Posted: April 13 2017 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Found loads of the compound Rick spoke of on eBay for reasonable prices.

I'm very interested in the reduction of blood sugar being a Type 2 diabetic myself. The easing of joint pain in my knees would be nice too. Personally, I'm all for supplements that make us better. Thanks Rick for the info!

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Ham Gunner

Posted: April 13 2017 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Hopefully this is not just another gimmick, but it does seem to help me and I do not take anything else other than one pill for cholesterol and one for my blood pressure and I have been taking them for years, so something is suddenly making my joints and inflammation better. And I have had a half dozen people that I trust tell me that they too have been using it for inflammation, etc.

I shopped around a lot on line and ended up just getting my Turmeric capsules on E-Bay. I think they ended up being less than 10 cents per pill and I got free shipping.

REM1875

Online Status: Online
Posted: April 14 2017 at 3:27am | IP Logged Quote REM1875

Hmm it's tempting -I am not making it to the range as
often as I would like to because of back and hip pain-
that's a problem cause the range is right out my back
door.

"If it killed em a 150 years ago, it kill em today" (answer to a comment about black powder weapons)
Back to Top View REM1875's Profile Search for other posts by REM1875

M700

Posted: April 14 2017 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote M700

Rex & all, do you think exercise would help?

The gym I go to is loaded with us gray-haired guys, and though we're not setting records anymore, a bunch of us have re-gained mobility, flexibility and strength. I've seen guys in their 70's make a good turn-around, and we've got guys in their 80's still working out.

Similar story with my bicycle riding buddies. I ride with a group that is made up of folks in their 50's, 60's, and 70's. We're doing pretty well overall.

Everyone has our aches and pains and various old injuries & diseases as we age, but I'm pretty well convinced that staying active, real active, helps.

Might not help with arthritis - I just don't know - but it sure helps me stay reasonably fit. I hit the gym about 3-4 days a week, and cycle or hike about 4 days a week as well. Almost never go a full day without some kind of workout - even if it's 20 minutes in the family room, cranking out pushups, crunches/situps, lifting my 30 pound dumbbells, and doing some stretching. The stretching seems even more important now, in my 60's, than it's ever been.

Best of luck!

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

KinleyWater

Posted: April 14 2017 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Ham Gunner wrote:

What I take is Turmeric extract and Black Pepper extract or (Curcuma Longa root extract) which is an extract of Turmeric and (Bioperine extract) which is extracted from Black Pepper. The black pepper helps the body absorb more of the Turmeric. Home remedies have used the plain old Turmeric and Black pepper in concoctions for years, but their potency is not nearly as strong as those that use the extract.

My lovely wife is a master herbalist by training She wholeheartedly concurs withe Turmeric/ Back Pepper extract combination.

She notes, however, that because the Turmeric is taken internally, it will take some time for the full benefit to be realized. Consider also using a Capsacin based topical cream on the affected areas. This will aid you more in the short term and can be used in addition to the Turmeric without contraindication.

-Kinely

Old Ranger

Posted: April 14 2017 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Guy, I agree. Mobility is a key factor in staying healthy longer. Though I no longer have 18" upper arms or a back like a carrier deck anymore, I still do simply maintenance lifting with dumbbells and old school Army PT in modified lighter form. Walking is my number one priority though. Two miles a day minimum. I had "let myself go" for a few years and really paid for it health wise. No more.

Kinely, good call on the pepper based heating cream. Does wonders on my knees. I refuse to allow the VA to cut my legs open and "rebuild" my knees. So I use the cream and walk like a madman. Still got that Ranger attitude that "pain don't hurt" and increased miles in my walking has reduced some of the issues. And as your wife pointed out about the Turmeric supplement by giving it time to work, you bet. We'll pay attention to her advice and thank her for the information and input for us older fellas.

Monte Walsh

Rex

Posted: April 14 2017 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

Boys, I go back to work the first of May for Game and Parks. There is a lot more physical activity maintaining camp sites up around the lake and the mowers
than it looks like there should be. I guess at 74 everything turns into a little more of a chore than it should.
I should stop whining, 700-720 fps out of a 4" 357 is darn close to standard .38 special anyway. I've stretched it out to 40 yards over the pickup hood and accuracy was still good. When I need to I can still shoot 14 grains of 2400 under a G.C. 158 grain bullet, it just ain't as much fun over a long session as it used to be.

Paul B.

Posted: April 14 2017 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote Paul B.

"When I need to I can still shoot 14 grains of 2400 under a G.C. 158
grain bullet, it just ain't as much fun over a long session as it used to
be."

My favorite load for the .357. What you need is a heavier gun. I had a
696 when they first came out. Very sorry I ever sold it. I've used that
2400 load for years only now use it in an S&W M28. FWIW, I'll see 79
come next August and I do have some arthritis in my hands, neck and
shoulder. Still shoot some big rifle boomers as well, just not as often.
Paul B.
Back to Top View Paul B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Paul B.

Old Ranger

Posted: April 14 2017 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Rex, I'm just a few years behind ya and understand how things can now be a chore...

Ya know, I shoot most of my .38 wheelguns with mid to heavy bullets at around 750fps to 775fps and get groups that struggle for the same holes. Nothin flashy or fancy, just smooth shooting rounds that hit where I aim at. I know that 3.3gr Unique and a 164gr SWC (357446) is no barnburner but when a bunch are fighting for the X I can't complain. I sometimes bump it up to 4.2gr Herco for a better punch. That load picks armadillios up and slams em in the dirt. Maybe an 825fps loa but a tight shooter! And that 357446 bullet cast soft splats like a pancake when it hits and hammers critters pretty good here.
I do 90% of my shooting these days with my Richards & Mason 1860 Colt conversation in .38Spl. Being an open top I HAVE to load conservative to preserve the weapon. And with those big Colt Army's grips and 2 3/4 pounds it's a dream to shoot.
But I'd give my eyeteeth for a 4" S&W M28 like I later carried on patrol with the PD. Oh well..

But anyway, easy loads are just fine. We got nothing to prove to anybody at our age! But still, you be careful out there mowing and such!

Monte Walsh

steven

Posted: April 14 2017 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote steven

Thanks for the scoop on Turneric Ham. How long did you take it before
your noticed some results.

REM1875

Posted: April 14 2017 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote REM1875

Old Ranger
I'd gladly trade my S&W mdl 19 for a 27 or 28 with boot.
Hell I would toss in the worlds ugliest revolver a
security -six too.

"If it killed em a 150 years ago, it kill em today" (answer to a comment about black powder weapons)

STCM(SW)

Posted: April 14 2017 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

So you would like my M28-2 then?

image upload freecertificity.com

Edited by STCM(SW) on April 14 2017 at 5:55pm

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

REM1875

Posted: April 14 2017 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote REM1875

Yes Master Chief I sure would- Remember me in your will

joed

Posted: April 14 2017 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote joed

I have 2 model 28s, a 4" and 6". The
first s&w i ever owned was a 28 with 6"
barrel. After a few years I thought it was
to heavy and sold it to buy a model 19.

After 20 years i sold the 19 and went back
to the model 28. As much as i like the K0
frame when it comes to stout loads you
need an N frame.