Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: Hunting Rifle Practice this morning Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 14 2017 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote M700

An old friend met me at the range this morning, and once again the rivalry was ON! We were practicing with our hunting rifles. He had his battered Rem 700 in .300 Win mag. That rifle has been on many hunting trips, on several continents, and has killed a lot of game. He was using his standard handload, built around the 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Last year he took bear and moose with that combo.

I had my .30-06 Rem 700 CDL, and the .375 H&H Model 70. We practiced at 100, 200 and 300 yards. Paper at 100 & 200, and I'd placed a steel gong at 300 yards. What a hoot!

.30-06, 200 gr Nosler Partition, stout load of H4350 at a tad over 2600 fps. Cold bore, 100 yd shot. I'll take that any day!

And I shot the .375 nearly as well, using 260 gr Nosler Accubonds over RL-15 for 2800+ fps:

We had a great time shooting together, as we have so many times in the past. At the end of the session, he claimed he shot better, while of course I actually shot better...

I hope we get another 20 years of giving each other grief, and advice, at the range, and a few more hunts together as well.

Regards, Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Rex

Posted: April 14 2017 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

You are starting to get close now Guy.
I actually got my .22 rifle out yesterday, hadn't shot it in years. It was fun.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Ham Gunner

Posted: April 14 2017 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Great shooting session it sounds like.

I certainly love it when I can take a rifle out of the case and place the first shoot dead center with a cold barrel. My M-28 Mosin Nagant was always pretty good for doing that trick. Unfortunately not all my rifles will do as well. Gremlins in some of them I think.

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

hoghunter

Posted: April 22 2017 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

A friend of mine, a retire State Trooper who was a sniper
told me that he kept a record of all cold barrel shots
because in his case, that was the only one he would most
likely get.

Not a bad philosphy for a hunting rifle also. I keep a
record of mine for all my hunting rifles.
Back to Top View hoghunter's Profile Search for other posts by hoghunter

Ham Gunner

Posted: April 22 2017 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

I almost always foul the bore before going hunting so that I will not be shooting a freshly cleaned or oiled bore. But of course the first shot while hunting will be from a cold fouled bore.

I have had a few rifles that did not seem to make a difference in the point of impact whether it was a warm bore or cold as long as the bore was previously fouled, but normally I can see a shift in point of impact of the final groupings from the first shot or two from an unfouled bore.

My Son's AR chambered in 7.62x40 Wilson Tactical does not seem to care one way or the other about clean, cold, or fouled bore. It also has shot the two jacketed loads (Sierra 125gr. and Hornady 130gr.) and the one cast load Lyman 311359 that we have worked up for it into the same point of impact at 100 yds. Likely the least finicky rifle I have every fired.

Edited by Ham Gunner on April 22 2017 at 7:58pm

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version