Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Hunting
 Handloads.Com Forum : Hunting
Subject Topic: Favorite game to hunt, and dream hunt(s)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ham Gunner

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 10 2017 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Other than perhaps a bit of extra weight, if it has not been sporterized a good bit, the Mosin-Nagant is actually an excellent choice for most North American game where a .308 Win. would be used. It actually has slightly more powder capacity than the .308 and the action is quite strong.

I have a couple, but I am quite fond of my M-28 Sako reworked (1928) Mosin-Nagant with a Sig barrel and it will drive tacks with .308 dia. bullets. I of course ruined any collector value by sporterizing it. I cut the medium heavy barrel down from 28" to 25" and took off much of the extra wood and glass bedded the stock. Cut off the bolt handle and had a turned down bolt welded on further back behind the locking point of the old bolt and of course mounted a scope. I put in an after market trigger as well.

But actually, this rifle would certainly shoot much better than I could see the open sights before I even altered it. This is one of the fine Finn Russian reworks and plenty of just plain Jane Mosin-Nagants are quite capable if their bores are still in good condition. Groove diameters vary, so that must be determined before accuracy will be the best.

But, I have several other rifles that I would prefer to take on an Elk hunt because they are lighter weight. Even my sporter is likely still around 8 1/2-9 lbs. A well placed shot is what matters and lots and lots of European and Asian big game have been taken with the lowly 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser. But I bet a person would be best to go large in caliber if possible. Elmer Keith and many of the old meat hunting guides would certainly recommend the bigger bores.

Edited by Ham Gunner on May 10 2017 at 4:28pm

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

KinleyWater

Posted: May 10 2017 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Please don't misunderstand. I am certain the cartridge is capable, I am not certain his particular rifle is. He has a war era Russian manufacture with a fantastic (/sarc) .313-ish bore, but not exactly. I am trying to see if I can get .311 Sierra 180 grain spitzers to stabilize. On a side note, Prvi 182 grain seems to do well and I have heard that that weight bullet does very well for surplus rifles.

Frankly, I think the Hornady 174 gr RN would be a better fit at .312, but I'm not the one doing the buying. Anyway, If I can get 2300 fps, and get it to group, it should be adequate to 200 yards - my opinion.

Edit: At 5,000 feet elevation, this projectile will meet 1800 fps at 320 yards, not 200. I am using 1800 because I believe the bullet will still function as designed at this velocity. I will need to contact Sierra to confirm this since, to quote their website:

The 180 grain #2310 bullets both has Sierra's unique double taper heavy jacket and Spitzer profile. They have excellent accuracy, together with deep penetration and excellent expansion on medium and large game.

The part which bothers me is the bit about the double taper heavy jacket. This may mean it may not function at that velocity. Again, I will need to get Sierra's information.

Edited by KinleyWater on May 10 2017 at 5:23pm

Yeti

Posted: May 10 2017 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Yeti

I agree that mule deer hinting is a ton of fun. Last years hunt was fantastic
even though I chose not to pull the trigger.

My dream hunt is a moose. I still remember the stories my grandpa used to tell
about moose hunting. The bonus is how good they eat!

Ham Gunner

Posted: May 11 2017 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Yeti wrote:
The bonus is how good they eat!

And that is a lot of eating in a critter the size of a moose.

Kinleywater, while I have not shot many of the 180 gr. bullets in a Mosin-Nagant, my Son's carbine has a very badly abused .313 bore and it does really well with the .311 dia. Sierra 150 gr. flat base bullet. I would think that likely a flat based bullet would be easier to find an accurate loading in the less than perfect bores.

My Son has killed lots of Missouri white tailed deer with this old carbine and never needed more than one shot. Shots were fairly close range at mostly less than 100 yards but accuracy was there for longer if needed. Surprising what accuracy can be gotten out of those old rough bores.

I think that I ended up settling on IMR 4320 for his 150gr. bullet powder charge as well as for my M-28 using 165gr. SBT Game Kings.

Edited by Ham Gunner on May 11 2017 at 7:00am

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

Old Ranger

Posted: May 11 2017 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

As a youngster on the rez hunting fed my family and many others. I had an '03A3, a great horse, 2 days rations and canteen and me sittin a bloodstained saddle. I'd ease out west over the prairie and make my way into the low hills and woods. Might take me a day or so but I'd drop a muley or a pronghorn. Once fielddressed and hung over the saddle, I'd lead my pony back home. I'd give meat to many who lived around us and bring the rest home. Made that trip once a week. Sometimes more. Might not have been as eventful as a big catered hunt in the Rockies with a guide and such but I'll bet I've had more game across a horse's back than many of those high paid guides.

My dream hunt would have been hunting buffalo from horseback with a bow like my ancestors. Never gonna happen but that would be the big one for me.

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

richhodg66

Posted: May 11 2017 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

KinleyWater wrote:
Please don't misunderstand. I am certain the cartridge is capable, I am not certain his particular rifle is. He has a war era Russian manufacture with a fantastic (/sarc) .313-ish bore, but not exactly. I am trying to see if I can get .311 Sierra 180 grain spitzers to stabilize. On a side note, Prvi 182 grain seems to do well and I have heard that that weight bullet does very well for surplus rifles.

Frankly, I think the Hornady 174 gr RN would be a better fit at .312, but I'm not the one doing the buying. Anyway, If I can get 2300 fps, and get it to group, it should be adequate to 200 yards - my opinion.

Edit: At 5,000 feet elevation, this projectile will meet 1800 fps at 320 yards, not 200. I am using 1800 because I believe the bullet will still function as designed at this velocity. I will need to contact Sierra to confirm this since, to quote their website:

The 180 grain #2310 bullets both has Sierra's unique double taper heavy jacket and Spitzer profile. They have excellent accuracy, together with deep penetration and excellent expansion on medium and large game.

The part which bothers me is the bit about the double taper heavy jacket. This may mean it may not function at that velocity. Again, I will need to get Sierra's information.

.313 bore isn't a problem if it's smooth and uniform.

Cast makes up for a lot of faults on Milsurps. and cast is all I use on deer anymore. A 220 grain bullet around 2,000 FPS is easily done, fitted to bore sized and more power than white tails require at realistic distances.

KinleyWater

Posted: May 12 2017 at 3:46am | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

richhodg66 wrote:

.313 bore isn't a problem if it's smooth and uniform.

Cast makes up for a lot of faults on Milsurps. and cast is all I use on deer anymore. A 220 grain bullet around 2,000 FPS is easily done, fitted to bore sized and more power than white tails require at realistic distances.

Amen. My confidence level in this bore is mediocre. He, my brother, slugged the barrel, and gave me the slug so i could measure it as he has no calipers. The slug was not uniform, leading me to believe an error int he slugging process, but I have also handled the rifle and know that it has not been well cared for. Or, as my brother says: Manufactured in desperation. First maintained by people who didn't know how, then by people who didn't care.

Still, I think this discussion is outside the scope of this thread - sorry Guy - I will post about my conversation with Sierra bullets elsewhere.

Ranger - Buffalo from horseback. Now THAT's a dream hunt. Amazing story, too. Thanks for sharing it.

richhodg66

Posted: May 12 2017 at 4:54am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

The gar in my lake are spawning early, went out the other night and shot about a dozen in an hour or so. Not quite as fun as I remember it and after a few, I passed on any real easy ones. Wasn't any real hunting involved like the carp are. I may switch to a gig next time just to level the playing field a bit.

I believe fox squirrels are now my favorite game.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version