Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Ok. Made a swap Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Old Ranger

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 31 2017 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Went to my favorite gun shop. Told em I wanted to do some down and dirty horse tradin' 'n I was in a swappin' mood.
Laid out the Ruger Old Army with the conversion cylinder and pointed out a SAA that almost made my heart stop. A stunning 4 3/4" .45Colt SSA full engraved and had the Old Silver frame finish and real nicely checkered walnut grips. One word; BREATHTAKING! And it even had it's very own fancy ballistic nylon hard cover case with a handle with "Cimarron" and the trademark rider whipping the horse raised on the top of the case.

Guess they felt sorry for me as they allowed a very generous amount for the ROA and took very little cash from me. Shucks, even threw in a box of Cowboy ammo to boot.The owner said that he'll make a profit somewhere else today.

This is the most purty pis-toll-ee I ever had. Shoots pretty good too. And ya know what? Since it was mostly a swap for a bigtime upgrade, and my number of guns didn't increase, why I'm not even the least bit mad at myself!

I tried my best to get a picture here but I'm not smart enough with this contraption to do it. If ya ever see the 2017 Cimarron catalog its on page 31 right in the middle.

So boys, I got me a near to lookin like The Duke's Shootist pistol and the best lookin' Sunday-go-to-meetin' pistol you ever saw! How I wish Uncle Leo was here to see it. I think he'd be proud of me.

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

STCM(SW)

Posted: May 31 2017 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

Is this what it looks like?

free picture hosting

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

richhodg66

Posted: June 01 2017 at 5:45am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Sounds like a good deal. Be sure to post shooting results.

Old Ranger

Posted: June 01 2017 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Master Chief, that's the Rooster model. A copy more or less of the Duke's movie sixgun. Mine's silver framed and deep blued barrel, cylinder, and gripframe with full 19th century engraving.

Rich, my initial shooting with 10 rounds of Fiocchi 250gr RNFP cowboy factory loads weren't bad. 15 yards and a two hand grip on my paper plate regular target gave me an initial group of 8 in 2 1/2". Slightly low and a might left by an inch or so. I dropped 2 rounds due to poor grip and snatching at the trigger. Unless I relax my grip some and get enough trigger under my finger I have a tendency to shoot low left. A personal quirk I've been fighting for a while now. After that last little stroke my right hand has some numbness to it and I tend to grip a little too hard with my other fingers pulling some shots.

But the action is extremely smooth and the trigger is crisp and clean with no creep or interference. The checkered walnut grips are very comfortable and lend to a good grip on the weapon in spite of the slight numbness in my hands. Balance is perfect as with a 4 3/4" SAA.
I'm sure in a while after I get used to it I'll do better on the range with this new pistol.

Rained some this morning but it looks like a slight break is here. I'll shoot some more of the 80 cent per round factory stuff and see how I do. One thing for sure, it feels so much better in the hand than that Ruger! And looks? Well only Lynda Carter or Barbara Eden in their prime can match it!

Monte Walsh

REM1875

Posted: June 01 2017 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote REM1875

So now ya got 100- 45 Colt (LC) one ya empty the fancy
factory stuff out - so what ya gonna stuff it with Wade?

Sure would like to see a picture of it i will go search
the Cimmaron sight for it.

"If it killed em a 150 years ago, it kill em today" (answer to a comment about black powder weapons)
Back to Top View REM1875's Profile Search for other posts by REM1875

REM1875

Posted: June 01 2017 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote REM1875

This be it Wade?

Sure is pretty
http://www.cimarron-
firearms.com/review/product/list/id/3951/category/994/

Edited by REM1875 on June 01 2017 at 9:07pm

"If it killed em a 150 years ago, it kill em today" (answer to a comment about black powder weapons)

Old Ranger

Posted: June 01 2017 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

By the description that sounds like it.

Was out earlier today with the other 80 cents a shot loads. Put five all clustered in one spot from 7 1/2 yards. Only thing is my old bad habit showed up. The rounds were 2" low and 2" left! I'm doing it again!

Going to get a new mould soon. Tried a few with an Ideal 452374 with a mild load of Red Dot and it was so-so. I guess a round for an autoloader may not be the best in an old style revolver.

Oh well. At least I did trade up and that's fine by me.

Monte Walsh

Ham Gunner

Posted: June 01 2017 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Might it be this one? Wow,that is nice.

Cimarron

Edited by Ham Gunner on June 01 2017 at 7:41pm

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

Old Ranger

Posted: June 10 2017 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Every attempt at an image upload has failed me this far. So we'll just have to look at that picture in the post before this one and call it good. Now on to something more interesting about the loads I've been building thus far.

Remember, when I last loaded this cartridge it was decades ago with my Uncle Leo, on 310 tools, and with the 454190 Ideal bullet with Black Powder. Lighter bullets and Smokeless powders are something new to my thinking with this one.
Thus far, here's what I've done. Knowing that Unique is the most common powder used in this cartridge and further a personal favorite of the smokeless stuff I went there.
The 200gr RNFP from ACME Bullet Co. is a well made round with consistency of alloy and construction. Starting with 7.5gr and going up half a grain thru 8.8gr tops were mild to shoot and consistent in performance. All were low from POA yet well grouped at 15yds. I shoot closer these days as my hands are no longer steady for 25yds testing.
I stopped short of 9gr as I have no need for near maximum loads in anything I shoot. A personal choice.

Yesterday, the Lee 200gr RNFP mould arrived. I had it cleaned, smoked, and casting half an hour after it was unboxed. With the alloy I have the mould produced well formed rounds of consistency I have grown accustomed to. Measuring at .454" and weighing in at 212gr, these have the size for using the .452" H&I sizer in the old Lyman 450 rig. The bullet nose is extremely wide and flat. More so than any I've seen. Should prove interesting. Cast over a hundred, but waiting for them to cure a bit before loading.

With the POI being lower with the 200gr as opposed to the POI matching the POA with a 250gr RNFP, I'm beginning to question my thinking with the 200gr as my choice here. I suppose time will tell. But again, I haven't shot the 200gr castings yet either. For those who have adjustable sights it's not a big deal but for a fixed sight single action it could mean a foot off at 50 or less. Course I have to be able to hold steady enough too.... Ok, I have used a sitting position with a rest at that range and beyond now and then.

Monte Walsh

M700

Posted: June 10 2017 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote M700

You got rid of a handgun that aggravated you, and bought one that should make you happy.

Sounds like a win to me!
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

REM1875

Posted: June 10 2017 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote REM1875

Extra band on the base of those Lees makes em 255grs I
think and I have used a lot of those in 45 Colt (LC) and
45 S&W with unique and pretty good results.
(yes I do have other powders than Unique but damn it- no
matter what I reach for on the shelf Unique seems to end
up in the cases?)
The nose IS wide and flat but looks less so on the 255
grs. I'd recommend unsized with the Lee tumble lube on
them if it wasn't such a damned mess.
Once ya find your sweet spot ya should be pretty happy
with em Wade.

Old Ranger

Posted: June 10 2017 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Yes sir Guy, that's just what happened. Though the repair I did was correct and very solid, in the back of my mind I kept thinking what's next? Glad that "other" thing's gone and I have a reliable piece. One that's more ornate than anything I've had but I figured I deserved a fancy gun before I croak!

Now that Lee 200gr RNFP sure looks good. And that nose is so wide and flat I think it could double as a helo-pad! Wow! Its sumpin'! Later I'll get the 250gr RNFP mould. With the 200gr dropping at .454" or so I'm not going to be using the TL style lube. If I have to run bullets through the sizer I might as well lube when I size doing it all at once. If they dropped at .452" they'd get the LLA treatment. Thought the throats are quite large, the bore's .451" and I'm not about to size em with the forcing cone and lead of the barrel. ACME 200gr RNFP at .452" load, fit, and shoot with nuthin' but powder fouling in the bore. In my world, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

So if I get the 250gr RNFP mould later and it too is a .454" casting, in the 450 it goes for size & lube. Ham Gunner fixed me up with some dynamite bullet lube and I'm in great shape! Sure the LLA tumble lube method is fast and easy, but only if they are the proper size when cast. If I have to TL them. Wait for a day or two to dry. Size em AND TL them AGAIN that's bad time management in my world.

I'm of the opinion that if the throats of the chambers are larger than a proper size bore, don't worry about it. Too small yes, open em up. But if larger than the bore I have no worries. I load with .001" over bore diameter and get solid reliable results from this. I used to get all flustered and technical about the throats and such but if a .001" over bore diameter or even actual bore diameter bullet will pass through the throats I don't think about it further.

It's been about 60 years since I loaded 45Colt with Uncle Leo under a tree in the woods or my mother's table with her blessings. We'd drop that black powder into those big cases and seat & crimp the biggest pistol bullets I ever saw into em. To a youngster that was like seeing and handling rounds for a howitzer. Though I'm using a 60's Spar-T press and smokeless powder inside my little house, I still catch myself looking over my shoulder now and then to see if Uncle Leo's watching to make sure I get it right.

Monte Walsh

RECURVE

Posted: June 10 2017 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote RECURVE

I like those rnfp I always aloxed now I'm powder coating
cast coat and shoot the same day Im an old guy hard for me
to change but I'm likening this stuff
Back to Top View RECURVE's Profile Search for other posts by RECURVE

Old Ranger

Posted: June 11 2017 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Recurve, I'm glad you're having a successful time with the painted bullets. I tried it a year or so ago and found it to be tedious, time consuming, and failed to display accuracy in the calibers I have. Thus I abandoned it and quickly returned to conventionally lubricated bullets and accuracy returned as well. And just as a personal choice, I have better use for an oven than to "cook bullets".

My engineer neighbor saw this weapon yesterday and was trying to figure a way to sneak it out of my house! Said he's never seen a prettier pistol than this. I thanked him for the compliment and if he's real nice to me I might let him shoot it. Maybe

Monte Walsh

Old Ranger

Posted: August 01 2017 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

I've come full circle now. Got .45Colt 310 dies that should be here Fri. Also, today I found and ordered an old Lyman 310 bullet sizing chamber in .452". That's a find. I've got the perfect top punch/rod already. So I can be back where it all started for me. Course if my hands are tired, or like now, recovering from a wasp sting and still swolen, there's adaptors that allow the 310's to fit in regular presses. Even the bullet sizing chamber, but they go in upside down so the round is sized base first and the punch presses it out the top. But it's been 4 days now and the swelling has begun to go down but not enough to shoot yet. Stinkin bugs! Maybe by the time all the 310 gear shows up for the .45Colt I'll be in good enough shape to get busy.

Yup, right back where I started as a boy loading the old standard with Uncle Leo under a tree. But this time it's MY 310 and .45Colt pistol..... And with smokeless and not black powder! I'm sure Uncle Leo will forgive me for the newfangled powder!

Monte Walsh

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version