Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Hunting
 Handloads.Com Forum : Hunting
Subject Topic: Arctic Grizzly Hunt Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Online
Posted: May 22 2018 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Checked the journal I kept on the hunt.

A year ago today the other hunter in camp made a great shot on another grizzly, dropping it quickly.

And one of our guides found out via sat-com that he was a daddy!

They summoned a plane to get 'em out of camp. The other guide and I stayed a few more days and finally found another bear.

It was an exceptional hunt!

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

KinleyWater

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 23 2018 at 4:43am | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Proof positive it's the experience and not the shot fired. Great, once in a lifetime, memories.

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 23 2018 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Guy

Nice pictures..I hoping for a bit more narrative. When you say north of Fairbanks, how far north, Was your camp a drive in camp or a fly in. North or South of the Yukon?

What guide service did you use.

Your pictures are exceptional, in one year I drove the Alaska Highway five times, from Palner to Kennewick, From Yelm to Palmer, then Palmer to New York. I did not see as much game on all of those trips combined.

Folks think that Alaska is just teaming with wild life, there is a lot there but it is spread over 250,000 square miles.

Out on search and rescue missions I have flown for hours in light aircraft in the winter and never seen a track in the snow.

Anyone planning on an Alaska hunt needs a good guide service.

On one occasion I flew from King Salmon to Chignik Lagoon on the Alaska Penninsula, to investigate a homicide, along the way we flew over a lot of Caribou, but they were scattered over many miles in small bands congregated around frozen tundra ponds.

Another time on an early spring morning one of the Fish and Wild life officers and I took off in the "company" Super Cub, from Glennallen and flew to Mc Carthy on an investigation. I told the F&W officer if he was any sort of a tour guide he would show me some buffalo. He made a hard bank to the left, flew up a river bed up in the Wrangell mtns.,made a few circles and found a herd of buffalo gathered up along a beaver pond, We landed on a gravel bar and hiked a couple of miles to try to get some close up pictures of the buffalo, too much fast moving snow melt to get closer than about 500 yards.

Lots of other flights and other than black spruce and willow not much to report.

I am glad you had a successful hunt, your guide did a lot of leg work to get you into a place where there were bears to be seen.

The .30-06 a good choice for barren ground grizzly, might have been a little light for coastal bears. I carried an 06 when I hunted on Kodiak Island, up the spout a 130 grn for deer and the rest in the 10 round magazine of my semi-auto were 220s.

Well done, obviously good shot placement, because you got the bear.. An old Russian saying is "sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you"!
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

M700

Posted: May 23 2018 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote M700

I'll try to answer the questions John:

As a non-resident I had to use a guide to hunt grizzly, and I'm glad I had a good guide! The outfitter was Lyle Becker, who owns Alaska Skookum Guides. He hired a friend, Joey Klutsch who is also an outfitter and owns Aniakchak Guide Service. We had two hunters and two guides in camp, Lyle and Joey.

Joey is son of long-time, near legend, bear guide Joe Klutsch.

We flew from Fairbanks and landed on a gravel bar well north of Ft. Yukon. Used a Helio Courier for the air service. Cool little plane! The outfitter has asked me to not get specific about the area, but is fine with me mentioning that it's in the Brooks Range, ANWR.

We only saw three bears during the nine days. Got two of them. The first one was too small, likely a young female. And she was moving fast. We tried to stalk her, but dang. That bear was putting the miles behind her!

Re the rifles - yes - I had a 375 H&H all set up and ready to go, and also my 30-06 was good to go with a heavy bullet load, the 200 gr Nosler Partition.

I asked my outfitter which one he thought I should bring on this hunt and he asked two key questions of me:

1. This is rough country, hiking is difficult. Which rifle is lighter?

2. This is pretty open country, which rifle do you shoot better at 300 yards?

Well, the answer to both of those was the 30-06 rifle! I shoot the 375 pretty well, but admittedly I do better with the 30 cal rifle. And the 30-06 Rem 700 is a fair bit lighter than the 375 Model 70 Winchester.

After the hunt, I am satisfied with my choice of the 30-06, and it did well, but honestly I kind of wish I'd taken the 375 H&H. We didn't do all that much hiking, and I'm not exactly weak, so carrying the bigger rifle wouldn't have been a problem.

And all the grizzly shooting was done at 40 yards and in anyway. That Model 70 375 would have been a fine choice.

Both guides had just come off a month of guiding on Kodiak Island. Joey had his Sako in 338 Win mag and Lyle had a Rem 700 in 375 H&H. He's a machinist as well, and has done some nice custom work on that 375 of his, but the rifle looks like... Well, like an Alaskan guide has used it for years...   

Great trip. Can send some more info via PM.

I was up there a year ago today. Miss the place.

Regards, Guy

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 23 2018 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

When I lived in Palmer I started a bow hunters club. A close friend of mine had a 1000 acre farm, he donated a 100 acre section, not farm-able, to our club for a field archery range.

That range attracted a lot of new members, one of them was our local pharmacist. He was an avid bow hunter, and liked doing raft float hunts.

One year he and his hunting partner got flown in North of the Brooks range, and as I recall we floating the Sagwon river. They were hunting caribou, they would float for a while, pull their inflatable up on a gravel bar work their way through the willows and scout for caribou.

On one of these little scouting forays, they separated and worked their way through the brush which can be pretty dense along the rivers. My druggist friend had just cleared the willows when he was charged by a grizzly, he had just enough time to get an arrow on his compound bow, come to full draw and shoot.

The fickle "gods" of the hunt have a real sense of humor, and were smiling on him that day. In his rush to shoot he miss knocked the arrow, when he shot the arrow went completely over the bear, missing him only by inches, the sound of the arrow whizzing over his head and the slap of the compound bow did the trick, the bear turned and ran off.

Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

M700

Posted: May 23 2018 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote M700

The "gods" of the hunt were indeed watching over your friend!

Wow!

STCM(SW)

Posted: May 23 2018 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

I have seen the film of Pope & Young take a grizzly up close...
What a film, I woudn't even try that if I was 30-40 years younger....

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

M700

Posted: May 24 2018 at 2:00am | IP Logged Quote M700

Yes. A long time ago I watched a Fred Bear hunting video, in which he went after grizzly with his bow...

Wow!

Also read an article stating that ol' Fred went after polar bear several times with his bow, being saved by a fellow with a 375 H&H a couple of times before he managed a clean bow & arrow kill.

I am enjoying getting back into bow hunting, but I don't think I'm going to seek out bears of any kind while hunting with the bow...

Guy

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 24 2018 at 6:18am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I shot a nice black bear with my trusty old Martin 70# long bow, one morning while I was sitting on a stump waiting for the sun to come up and the elk to move through.

I had an arrow on, and was just taking in the ambiance of the morning, I heard this "muttering" sound thought it was my hunting partner, who is probably legally deaf, and does tend to "mutter". I turned slowly and saw a bear coming down the elk trail, headed right for me.

My idea of bow hunter camouflage is a pair of black jeans and a green chamois shirt.

The bear was on a course that would take him to withing 20 yards of my stump, as he came down the trail and was just about even with my position I noticed that there was some tall brush screening the bear, about 10 yards further along the trail a small opening in the brush , as the bear passed me, I rolled off the stump and came to full draw just as he walked into the opening, I released when I hit my anchor point, all in one continuous motion.

I saw the bright orange fletch right behind his shoulder and the bear was off like a shot, and totally disappeared from view. About 30 seconds later I heard a moan, at that point I was pretty sure it was a good hit.

I waited the obligatory 1/2 hour, more like 20 minutes. Then went looking for the bear. Not a drop of blood any where, I started making circles expanding out form the point of the shot, I got about 50 yards from the "stump" and there was the bear piled up against the side of a big Fir tree, stone cold dead, the heavy wooden shaft had penetrated right up to the fletch, there was about 6" of shaft on the broadhead end protruding from the off side of the bear.

I make my own arrows the average weight of a completed arrow is just over 700 grains, from a 70# bow they will work on anything you may run into.

I put one of those arrows nearly all of the way through a big cow moose with a 60# long bow.

Arrows kill by hemorrhage, it can take a while. I shot a   big bull Water Buffalo in Australia with a 75# recurve bow, the buffalo went 70 feet, and went down.

Traditional archery has some real advantages over "pully" bow hunting, I can shoot from almost any position including lying on stomach on the ground, I do not have to get to full draw to shoot. I shot a white tail buck out of a tree one evening, I was standing on the limb or an oak tree on the edge of a corn field, a band of deer came through and was milling around under my tree, I was so close to the deer that the end of the limb I was on was touching the back of one of the deer. The buck I wanted steeped into a spot I could get an arrow through, when I attempted to draw the bow, my right elbow hit the branch above the one I was on, I got only about 20" of draw, good enough, I made a clean lung shot the deer ran 40 yards and died. The range on the shot was about 5 feet.

Just bear in mind that more game has been killed with arrows than bullets... and more humans..!   

M700

Posted: May 24 2018 at 6:44am | IP Logged Quote M700

Buddy of mine, we hunt black bears together time to time, told me that in his experience an arrow often kills a black bear more quickly than a rifle bullet.

I dunno - we've had some fast, almost instant, rifle kills, but he told me of several very fast black bear kills with the bow.

Guy

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 24 2018 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

The only way to get a "quick" kill with an arrow, is to disrupt the central nervous system, shots like that are the exception to the rule.

The Alaska Bowhunters association used to have a yearly banquet and award ceremony in Anchorage. It was a day long presentation with lectures, equipment reviews and sales. They also ran a film, (The film was T-Arrow or something like that) can't remember the archers name, but he was an incredible shot, he killed a little bit of everything in Alaska from black tail deer to polar bear, and even one beluga, he shot from a moving inflatable boat.

During the narration of the film he brought up the point about no quick kills with a bow. And then demonstrated how to do it. The sequence started off showing a big grassy meadow, typically a river bottom, on the coastal plain of the islands in SE Alaska, there were a couple of nice black bears out grazing. Our guy is crawling along in the deep grass until he gets to what he thinks is a reasonable range then he stands up, one of the bears sees him and also stands up, at which point the archer puts an arrow into the bears eye, The bear was for all intents dead when he hit the ground. He used a couple of different recurve bows an 80# for most stuff and a 100# for the beluga.

There were also a number of sequences of this guy out on the tundra shooting ptarmigan in the head at long range.

He was probably as good a shot as Howard Hill.

When I was in Alaska, I never had the urge to shoot a grizzly with the bow. I started shooting the bow when I was four, one of my brothers got me started. My brother was a very good shot, we had some domesticated ducks, my mother wanted one of the ducks killed for dinner my brother Fred, took his bow and went to harvest one of the ducks. He told me he would shoot the duck through the eye, which he proceeded to do at about 25 yards.

The bow he used back then was a Bear Kodiak 80#.

Even after all of those years shooting the bow, hunting and doing a lot of shooting, I had a lot of confidence in my gear and my ability to place an arrow, I still wasn't interested in going after a grizzly.

STCM(SW)

Posted: May 24 2018 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

Me? I would like to get a bear before I can't hunt anymore.
The two young guys I hunt with have gotten bears....
I only see them on the trail cams we set up.
But you never know when it comes to hunting.
Hitting 77 in a month. Gastric ulcer found a week ago.
No pain, but can get you that your on the way out maybe..

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 25 2018 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I deal with a number of bears here every year. I was out making my rounds yesterday morning and spotted two bears, they were playing in the early morning sunshine.

M700

Posted: May 25 2018 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote M700

John - cool. I dearly love watching bears, not just hunting them. They're problem solvers! Interesting animals.

Grizzly:

No, I didn't try to get as close to the grizzly, and for good reason I think! :)

Guy

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 26 2018 at 5:38am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Guy

I have a black bear of about that size that shows up every year.

My neighbor the federal game agent, had one in his culvert trap that was so big that when the bear was thrashing around in the trap managed to bend the hitch, and destroy the trigger mechanism. He hauled the bear out to a remote place to release it, and when he opened the trap the bear went after him.

Never under estimate a black bear, a 150# bear can turn you inside out. They are incredibly powerful.

Late spring this year so "my" bears are just starting to work their was back in here.

Still quite a bit of elk activity in my horse pastures, I had one my cameras out for two weeks, there were just over 1000 pictures, half were of elk, and mostly bulls.   

M700

Posted: May 26 2018 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote M700

Did you see that Wyoming is going to open a grizzly season, for the first time since 1974?

I think they're the first of the Rocky Mountain states to do so.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version