Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: Consolidation of casting Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Old Ranger

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 19 2017 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Like many of us I have dozens of moulds and I just cast in 4 cartridge diameters and 4 black powder diameters. There are so many .358" moulds I can't keep up with them. Same in .309" moulds. I've often wondered if I could simply cast one per caliber. Just one each. Too easy? Too overly simplified? Maybe. I enjoy old bullets from 1903 and others from that era and the late 30's. But there's the issue. I like too many! Its become too complicated! So I have been studying all the bullets I cast seeking out the most common in accuracy, weight, bullet shape, ease of casting, and loading.

I'm still working out the details of the final selection for .38Spl, 357Mag,.44Spl, .44mag, .45Colt,.45ACP, and .30'06.
Details on final "winners" pending.

Anyone else ever try to narrow down the number of bullet styles they cast and use?

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Rex

Posted: June 20 2017 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

I don't have the number of moulds you do but yes I keep trying to get to one load. Just about impossible isn't it. Should I use a 358477 or a 357466 or a 359429 or a 358156 with which powder and which case. Darn it Wade that is the fun of it all.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Old Ranger

Posted: June 21 2017 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Rex, I don't remember it being as complicated when I had one mould in one caliber. And time was I had maybe 2 different powders. Now there's over a dozen or more.38 moulds alone. And about the same number of powder type here. No, today it's become a mess. That's why I'm casting one bullet per caliber and one powder for them all. Unique for cast in pistol and the.30'06. IMR4320 for jacketed in the '06. And Bullseye for the 45ACP and light .38Spl. That's about as simple as I can figure right now. I'm just not enjoying my shooting time as much as I shoot fixed sight single actions and all these different types of powder and bullets hit at different spots.

Monte Walsh

Rex

Posted: June 21 2017 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

You are right Wade. If we made one load and shot we'd all be better shots I'm sure.

Old Ranger

Posted: June 22 2017 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Well I know that shooting inconsistent loading gives inconsistent results. My affinity for long out of print bullet design has been interesting and fun but each one is different and acts accordingly. But there's the issue. They each have qualities I like but I've whittled down to the Lyman 358665 RNFP for my.38Spl.. Though it casts slightly undersized compared to the others,it is just right for LLA tumble lube whereas all the others require sizing. Combined with the speed of casting, ease of lubrication, and positive accurate point of aim/impact with repeatable results, it's hard to argue. 4.7gr of Unique is still below the standard pressure yet has plenty of "oomph" to drive the round most distances and remain both accurate and lethal.

For decades I've been batting around with all sorts of loads and different types of powder and bullets with the idea of finding the ideal load. But much like throwing rocks at a tin can. You throw enough you're gonna hit it. But you're not going to remember which rock was the right one since you had thrown so many of them. So I'm gathering up the rocks that hit the can the easiest and the most. But more importantly, I'm not going to be throwing the rocks that missed or were too difficult to throw.

Monte Walsh

dahlin

Posted: June 22 2017 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote dahlin

Had a rainy afternoon so thought it was a good time to cast a few 158gr 38 SWC this is with a Lee 358-158 mold just lubed them LLA will size and lube them again and there ready to load . this bullet shoots real good with 4GR of bullseye out of my short barrels
Back to Top View dahlin's Profile Search for other posts by dahlin

Old Ranger

Posted: June 24 2017 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Prime example there. Singular focus on one bullet/load.

Been busy with the 200gr RNFP Lee bullet in the 45Colt. Appears that the 45Colt really eats this bullet up, and a modest load of 8gr Unique puts the bullets at the point of aim with tight and consistent groups.

Tests with the 200gr RNFP Lee bullet in 45ACP is at least showing that it chambers well with a dummy load in my 1911A1. Having no empty cases at this point in time, I'll continue with the combination later after a session with my old slabside 45 produces a few empties.
Odd that the old standard 452374 bullet shot poorly and leaded up the bore in my 1911A1. Perhaps the newer Lee bullet will fair better. Guess I'll find out soon enough. But if they shoot half as good in the auto case compared to the big 45Colt case, I don't think I'll be unhappy. And it would further my consolidation of bullet and powder even more.

Monte Walsh

RECURVE

Posted: June 24 2017 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote RECURVE

I've been casting same bullet 6cav 230 gr been thinking
about getting the 200 gr to save alitle lead. I got a 7.5
inch new vaq ruger shoots 230 gr. Good hope it will 200
Back to Top View RECURVE's Profile Search for other posts by RECURVE

Rex

Posted: June 26 2017 at 4:32am | IP Logged Quote Rex

Wade, if you want a little larger diameter out of a given mould cut just a small piece of metal duct tape and stick on one side of the block. Maybe one piece on each side and one in the center for a double cavity.
Diameter seems to make quite a difference in shooting but out of round just a hair doesn't, at least for me.

Here we go with something else to try.

Old Ranger

Posted: June 26 2017 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Rex, I remember you telling about that once. You sent some of that to me in the mould box! My memory slips at times. I'll get it out and try it on the 44 mould. Doesn't it make "fins" appear on the bullets with a gap in the mould? Having always striving for 100% alignment for ages makes me skiddish is all Old dog and new trick stuff surfacing here, but I will give it a shot. I'd really like to use the mould and bullets it produces as thet are accurate but a tiny bit undersized by .001". Maybe I'll get lucky with a softer alloy and using this foil tape trick huh?

Monte Walsh

Rex

Posted: June 26 2017 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

I never got fins on my .38 mouolds. Try one side first and if it is still too small put some on the other half to. Be careful not to get it over the cavity. Think I read about it on Cast Boolits, Think it was called beagling.

It doesn't take a very big piece.

Edited by Rex on June 26 2017 at 12:31pm

Old Ranger

Posted: June 26 2017 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Ok. Heard of "Beagling" before. I'll give it a go.
Push comes to shove I'll cast a small bolt inside both bullets in the mould and put a touch of grinding compound on em and spin em a tad. Did that on an old undersized .45-70 mould I recovered from a pile of rusty parts and tools. Reamed it out well. I'll do that tape thing first. If that doesn't work I'll ream em a touch.
And..... If that fails I'll scrap the mould and just load plated bullets.

Monte Walsh

LAH

Posted: June 28 2017 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote LAH

I'd like to have no more than one mould per firearm & in
some cases make one mould work for a couple.

Ronnieboy

Posted: June 28 2017 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Ronnieboy

Old Ranger, be glad your not a enock.    lol.

Old Ranger

Posted: June 28 2017 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Lynn, just tested the mould from Lee (200gr RNFP.452") with the 1911A1. Moderate load of Bullseye and sized .452" seated to the front edge of the crimping groove. Fired 10 rounds with a magazine change of course. Zero malfunctions. Tight, centered group 1.5" low at 15yds.
Same bullet in the 45Colt and a touch more Bullseye. Same range. 2" low and a tad left (maybe 1/2" or so).

Same bullet, powder, primer in two very different types of weapons and cases. There's a "Same mould for two guns". And I might add, very accurate at my "gotta shoot close due to shakes from stroke bugging me" range.

358665 in .38Spl and .357Mag does well with Unique in two single actions, old M&P 38Spl, and Rossi.357Mag mod 92 lever action. Two calibers-4 guns, one bullet. So far, so good.

Ronnie, what's an enoch?

Monte Walsh

Ronnieboy

Posted: June 28 2017 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote Ronnieboy

A race of space people anilated by a alien and chastised by Jon luck pickard. ahahha.    live long and prosper.    

Old Ranger

Posted: June 29 2017 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Ok. I just remember some of the old show. Don't know anything about the other stuff.

As to the one mould serving multiple weapons, I believe thus far it is far more practical than it may appear.
As with the 38Spl and the 358665's weight of 162gr, it is slightly better suited to the fixed sights on my single actions and old M&P 38Spl. However, the RCBS 140gr RNFP.38Spl "Cowboy" bullet is remarkably accurate and well suited to the many weapons I have in that caliber. As to the fixed sights, it prints about 1" low at close range when fired at it's upper velocity levels. But it will print centered with a moderate amount of powder for a slightly reduced load. Technically speaking it would be a better choice by using less lead and such but the issue of POA v.s. POI causes the scales to tip towards the heavier bullet.

I am currently facing a similar situation like above with the 200gr RNFP in the 45Colt. Fixed sights on a 4 3/4" SAA shoots to POA with a 250gr bullet whereas the 200gr is roughly 2" low. Lighter loads raise the POI to match the POA but then the cases fail to expand fully leading to scorching from blow by. Logically, it would be better to increase the bullet weight to 250gr to match the sights and POI. Further, it would also eliminate the powder and burning gas blow by insuring better shot to shot velocity and less chance of gas erosion in the chambers. However, the 45ACP is not suited for a 250gr RNFP cowboy bullet. This may be a setback for the one mould for several weapons in the 45 caliber pistols. Oh well, nothing's perfect.

Monte Walsh

Old Ranger

Posted: July 11 2017 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

With my own efforts with the 200gr RNFP Lee in 452" with both 45 Colt and 45ACP, combined with near identical efforts by John, it's caused me to rethink the use of a moderate weight bullet in the 38Spl.

The RCBS 140gr RNFP drops at .3595" to .360", and weights 141gr. Thus, it requires sizing to load and function. Since sizing is with the 450 it makes sense to lube conventionally as well. Not only making for a cleaner cartridge, but eliminating the occasional oversized cartridge resulting from the unsized TL method. With recent shooting sessions with my mod P Uberti, there has been more than one occasion where TL unsized Lyman 358665 loaded .38Spl would not chamber. In my world this is an unacceptable failure. Combined with far greater speed and accuracy in the Rossi 357Mag M92 levergun, I'm going to invest my efforts towards the RCBS 140gr RNFP. Cleaner, and better accuracy without the chambering issues, I believe this a logical decision.

Monte Walsh

LAH

Posted: July 11 2017 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote LAH

I would call that logical.

Old Ranger

Posted: July 12 2017 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Think I'm done. Re-reading, I appear to be somewhat OCD about searching for a single bullet, powder, and load. If the author of this finds that the posts become repetitive, I can only imagine how it appears to others. Think I'll just shut up now. We all get it; Wade's going for the "Easy Button".

Monte Walsh

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version