Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Hunting
 Handloads.Com Forum : Hunting
Subject Topic: Fall Deer Hunt Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rex

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 30 2017 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Rex

Deer permit came in the e-mail today.
Now to decide between the 6.5x55 carbine or the old pump 30-06. I'll wait until the grandkids shoot the deer they want then try to pick up something for summer sausage.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

M700

Posted: June 30 2017 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote M700

Excellent! Best of luck.
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

KinleyWater

Posted: June 30 2017 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Best of luck, Rex! Let us know how everyone does!

Ham Gunner

Posted: July 01 2017 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Our Missouri Department of Conservation just released some new regulations for deer in Missouri. There are a few counties up in N. Central Missouri that have some cases of Wasting Disease thought to have been introduced by some illegally imported deer for deer farms that were not properly tested that had escaped into the wild. They have been trying for a few years to isolate it and have been testing deer killed in those areas as well as restricting the use of salt and minerals (salt licks) which they think can aid in the spreading of the disease since it draws a lot of animals to the same spot and the salt/dirt might become contaminated with the disease.

N.W. Arkansas had about 25 cases of the disease recently and the county that I hunt borders the Arkansas line near by. The salt/mineral restriction is now in place in our area as well as mandatory checking of any deer killed on the first two days of gun season. Actually, they only need the head and at least 6" of the neck for the test.

I surely hope they can manage to whip this disease somehow.

Edited by Ham Gunner on July 01 2017 at 1:06pm

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

M700

Posted: July 09 2017 at 4:19am | IP Logged Quote M700

My "second deer" tag showed up yesterday!

It's a doe tag, for a mule-deer area not far from home. I have some access to private property there, so there is a good chance of success.

And of course, I won't turn down a nice mule deer buck to fill my regular tag should I happen across one.

But mostly, I'm just looking to fill the freezer this year. Hopefully see my son tag a mule deer too. Have a couple of new hunters I've been mentoring, maybe they'll get deer. Maybe not. But they'll hunt deer, which is a good thing.

Guy

STCM(SW)

Posted: July 09 2017 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

Don't know how well were going to do with WT deer this year.
Heavy snow did a number on them.
Now the trail cam's have pic's of lots of bear including a grizzly with cubs.   

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

richhodg66

Posted: July 09 2017 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Wow, tags won't be available here for at least another month, but they are over the counter though.

I think I'm gonna buy two tags and kill the first two legal ones I can this year for meat and concentrate on bird and small game the rest of the Fall. I spent a good bit of time waiting to get a decent buck last year and felt like I missed out. Besides that squirrel hunting is a lot easier on the old body than deer hunting anymore.

Old Ranger

Posted: August 10 2017 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Was talking with my granddaughter about a test the VA did that showed positive. Making arrangements for the unknown with the hospital for further test and such. But was invited to go hunt with her and my new grandson on the family farm. 800 acres and loaded with whitetail. So if further tests show nuthin I will walk into their woods. If I have to get carved on or get treatments and such, I'll likely be driven to the spot. Either way, looks like a hunt with my new 1970's Western Field model M776. My first hunt with a .243Win! Gonna be good to go.

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

M700

Posted: August 11 2017 at 4:05am | IP Logged Quote M700

Well, best of luck with the medical issue.

And, I think you're going to like that .243 on deer!

Guy

Rex

Posted: August 11 2017 at 4:47am | IP Logged Quote Rex

Wade, if you don't mind I'll talk to the Creator about your medical condition and see if he will help.
I've got to get out with my rifles and figure which one to use this year. The pump 30-06 has always been good to me but I haven't used it for a couple of years. The short 6.5x55 Swede is a fun gun. About like a supped up 30-30. The long skinny 140 grain bullet only goes a little over 2400 fps out of the 17.5" tube but is quite accurate.
We are in what Nebraska calls a mule deer deficient area due to disease a few years ago so no mule deer does are allowed. If game and parks hit as many mule deer with their pickups as the boys do out around the farm that would change. White tail, anything goes.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Old Ranger

Posted: August 11 2017 at 6:44am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Thanks guys. I tend to bull my way through stuff like that business with the medical thing. Hopefully if its something that needs to be fixed then maybe we caught it early. And again, it was just one test. Could've been a false reading. But I have some practice time for the little gun, and of course we all just hate to shoot, right? Ha! . And Rex, a good word to the One Above couldn't hurt. Thanks amigo.

Monte Walsh

Old Ranger

Posted: August 26 2017 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Went to the grandkids place today. Gave my new grandson a 357Mag single action and he was a little shocked when I told him it was a college graduation present. Good..

After lunch we got in some 4x4 contraption and I was given a tour of the 800 acres he and his family own. Saw three does in the first two minutes. Lots of pastures flanked by woods, and some thickets with lots of area for bedding. A target enriched environment. Those 160yd shots I was doing with my levergun might not be enough. There's places there that could exceed 400yds easily. May need to work/train fast and smart on the 243Win if I'm going to bring any meat home this season.

Monte Walsh

Buffalogun

Posted: September 04 2017 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

Old Ranger wrote:

Those 160yd shots I was doing with my levergun might not be enough. There's places there that could exceed 400yds easily. May need to work/train fast and smart on the 243Win if I'm going to bring any meat home this season.

Nope, you need to scope that .243 Winny. And in addition, you need to work up a good load with a good bullet that shoots flat and hits hard.

Mike

Edited by Buffalogun on September 04 2017 at 1:44pm

Old Ranger

Posted: September 05 2017 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Aw shucks. I have a Redfield 4x-12x, but I got it from a neighbor who got it from the many filthy and abused guns from his father. Though it looks new, the history of the weapons from his father has shown damaged scopes, actions tied up with corrosion and filth, and worse. In short, I don't trust it. I don't have the money for a scope other than the bargin brands. And little time to train with the 243Win. Lots of time going to the VA hospitals and such. That eats up time and money. Guess I'll just take closer shots with the levergun. They shoot culls out there. So I'll waite for an old buck or one with a screwed up rack to wander up to me.

Monte Walsh

KinleyWater

Posted: September 05 2017 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Old Ranger wrote:
Aw shucks. I have a Redfield 4x-12x, but I got it from a neighbor who got it from the many filthy and abused guns from his father. Though it looks new, the history of the weapons from his father has shown damaged scopes, actions tied up with corrosion and filth, and worse. In short, I don't trust it. I don't have the money for a scope other than the bargin brands. And little time to train with the 243Win. Lots of time going to the VA hospitals and such. That eats up time and money. Guess I'll just take closer shots with the levergun. They shoot culls out there. So I'll waite for an old buck or one with a screwed up rack to wander up to me.

Wade, I tried to PM you, but I got an error message saying you weren't able to receive any more PMs.

Anyway: I have a new in box Nikon Buckmaster 2 4-12x40 that I am willing to part with, if you like. I got it for a real good deal, I'm not using it.

If you have interest, PM me and we can discus details.

KW

Old Ranger

Posted: September 06 2017 at 3:25am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

I thank you for wanting to help out. I've a good glass on my 30'06Spr. I bought the 243Win because it has iron sights on it. Truthfully, I really don't want to mount a scope on it. I was thinking out loud here I guess. But again, thanks for thinking about me.

And I figure my inbox in the PM is full. I'll take care of that...

Monte Walsh

KinleyWater

Posted: September 06 2017 at 4:42am | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Any time.

Old Ranger

Posted: September 09 2017 at 5:21am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

I suppose y'all think I'm deranged for wanting to use a mod 92 levergun in 357Mag. . Truth of the matter is I've got more time and rounds with this weapon than the two boltguns combined. Was out a couple days ago and I was tearing up and down the shooting lanes in my woods popping targets at all sorts of range and angles. 24 rounds expended. 24 accurate hits, all good. Just something inside says "levergun". Just a feeling....

Monte Walsh

richhodg66

Posted: September 09 2017 at 5:25am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I think a .357 lever gun is a good choice in east Texas. Just know your limitations and work within them.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version