Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: Western Field M776 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Old Ranger

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 30 2017 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Ok, I know that I normally try to be somewhat analytical in my approach to many things but there are times I "wig-out" and do something nuts. Today was one of those days where I "wigged-out" at my big gun shop. With the intention of only buying a pound of Unique and a brick of lg pistol primers, I made the mistake of looking at guns. After looking at many I opened my mouth and sais " Ya got any .243Win boltguns with iron sights?". My young lad that was patiently working with me smiled and walked down the isle and stopped at the area marked 243. Reaching up he extracted from the shelf a Western Field model M776. A pretty fancy stocked rifle with wonderful checkering, white spacers between the babinga nose cap and the flaired pistol grip cap of the same exotic wood. Some minor scratches on the stock and slight wear on the action. 99% of the blue was intact. Bore clean. Scope, a Redfield 4x Tracker [yawn] but a tall front sight and a short slot mounted folding rear sight in a dovetail.
I was hooked. He had me. I offered 10 bucks under their price cash out the door. Young lad askes older boss, get a nod, and we're doing paperwork.

The WF M776 is a 1970's Mossburg model 800BD (D meaning Deluxe finishing and stock). Nice raised cheekpiece too. Nicely done .

Once home, the scope, base, and rings are off in a jiffy!. The simple folding rear sight was busted with the scope installation breaking the spring. It flopped about like a dying flounder on the boardwalk near the beach. Drove it out of the dovetail and it fell to pieces. Oh well. Dug out a short Marbles Flat-top rear sight from my sight bin and was in place by the end of the hour. More solid sight anyway.

Rifle cleaned up fast with Ballistol and my Otis gear. But it got dark before I could slip out to my rangecand pop a couple to see where it prints. Do that in the morning then. Only have a box of Rem. 100gr factory to mess with and the nice old Lyman AA dies are at the granddaughter's house with all the loading gear I gave them. But no worries. I ordered an old set of 310 dies in .243Win so I can play with my old school gear. Y'all know me and my 310's!

I'll attempt to do a photo of it if I can.

Oh boy. Now since I "wigged-out" I spent most of my grocery allotment on this rifle. What is wrong with me?
Let ya know how it shoots tomorrow huh?

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

M700

Posted: June 30 2017 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Cool. That's a sweet little cartridge, and it sounds like the rifle is really nice.

Glad you found it!

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Old Ranger

Posted: June 30 2017 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Thanks Guy. Since my granddaughter shoots this round, and her new husband too, it was my intention to simply join in on the action. But I don't like scopes and my eyes are more than good for iron sights. So even though the original rear sight was busted, I believe I made the rifle better with the Marbles Flat-top and this should be a fast and handy rifle in my woods too. And just in case my new grandson wants to take his new grandpa hunting, well the old man will have the opportunity to excell with a flat shooting whitetail whacker! That is if the lad feels sorry for the old coot! Otherwise, it'll make a great coyote shooter for sure and for certain.

Monte Walsh

Rex

Posted: July 01 2017 at 4:24am | IP Logged Quote Rex

I've always felt the .243 was about the perfect round for up here in Nebraska. Hope that rifle shoots like a laser and it surly should.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Old Ranger

Posted: July 01 2017 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Boy am I glad I pulled the scope. Both covers for the adjustments were screwed down gorilla tight. When attempting to remove them, both of the turrets came off in my hands! The scope was installed by our favorite hillbilly buddy, "Bubba" and his plyers. The rings were screwed down so tight it was close to impossible to keep from ruining the screws. So the useless scope is in the trash but that's ok as I don't need one to shoot and fortunately, Bubba didn't do anything to the rifle itself.

Been raining here off and on since 3AM, and my bench is soaked as is my whole range. But maybe there's a break in the rain later?

Remember a while back when I was thinking about a .243Win and got talked out of it? The general consensus was that since I have a .30'06 that I don't need a .243. Only thing is my .30'06 has no iron sights so it's pretty much turned into a sniper rifle that shoots paper and an iron plate. Even when I snap on the Bushnell aimpoint device I'm still dependant upon a scope-like device, and further, one that depends upon a battery to function. So yesterday, when I "wigged-out" and bought the .243Win I believe I made a fairly good decision after all. Basically a necked down .308Win, the 243Win is a noted flat shooting distance round. With the iron sights on at say 200yds it should be good to go on anything I can see and locate the lethal point of aim. Naw, I believe that it was a good idea. Now for the rain to stop and prove my point on the range.

Monte Walsh

Rex

Posted: July 01 2017 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Rex

Gave my .243 to a grandson who took a few nice large deer with it, then as he got older thought he had to have a 3006 to kill a deer and hasn't shot a big one since.
I loaded it with 40 grains of IMR 4350 and used Hornady 87 grain bullets until I couldn't find them anymore so will go to 100 grain if he ever shoots up all the 87s I gave him.

richhodg66

Posted: July 01 2017 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I own a Mossberg 800 series, mine is the short .308 with the full length stock.

I always thought those were good rifles that deserved better popularity than they got. They seem to be priced real cheap when I see them on used racks, much cheaper than other used bolt actions. I think you got a good one.

Old Ranger

Posted: July 01 2017 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

The rain let up and I did a 12.5yd zero shot. One tap left on the sight base and 3 more off a sandbag under my hand at 100. Slight elevation correction and one more with elevation and a tap left and shot #4 landed in an inch and a half bull on my high dollar paper plate target. Guess I'm still good on zero work.

Shot smooth, and don't these things have any recoil?
Yeah, this old girl is just fine. That 100gr factory Corelock Remington ammo did fine.

Rex, I'm either going with IMR4320 or H380 with a 100gr bullet. Might try some 80gr maybe later. Just have to piddle around with it and see. And yeah, it shoots very lazer-like.

Rich, I agree on the Mossburg's being underrated. But then again in a way I'm glad too, making this rifle aforable to me. And its from the early 70's and I like that too. Don't always want a new boltgun as they've got no sights!

Well that's it for now. Y'all got my SITREP on this rifle. Old Ranger approved. Ha! Oh, and when I was walking bach from the target area, I popped a standing shot at the 10x10 iron plate from 50yds in a quick mount & shoot. Rang it like a church bell with the round hitting an inch high and 3/4" left of dead center. That's definitely a "minute of chest cavity" to me!

Edited by Old Ranger on July 01 2017 at 11:34pm

Monte Walsh

Rex

Posted: July 01 2017 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

Wade, I'm happy as a clam for you. That will make you one fine rifle.

richhodg66

Posted: July 01 2017 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I like IMR 4320 a lot for several things, it's a surprisingly good and versatile powder for cast hunting loads in .30-30, .32 Special and .358 Winchester.

I have never loaded for a .243, however, in 6mm Remington, Winchester 760/H-414 is the very best thing going with 100 grain bullets.

richhodg66

Posted: July 02 2017 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

It might also interest you that Williams still makes standard receiver sights that fit these rifles. Mine is drilled and tapped to accept one, I assume all of them were. I have one f the sights and plan to install it. I'll have to remove some wood, but the stock on mine has been cracked and repaired, fairly well, but definitely not mint condition anymore.

I know you're an iron sight aficionado, and I personally can shoot much, much better with an aperture sight than I can with open sights.

Old Ranger

Posted: July 02 2017 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Rich, it most certainly is drilled and tapped for receiver sights. As with your rifle, the holes are partly covered by the stock. Odd huh? Makes me wonder if they were set up for a specific brand of sights like Lyman or Redfield back in the 70's perhaps that fit over the stock?

And I too like the peep sights a lot. Holdover from my time spent with all those G.I. rifles huh?
But yeah, I shoot better with them as well.

I'll be out in a bit on my range today for a few more rounds in better light. Its a bright overcast now. My kinda light with little shadows. And it's much dryer too!

Monte Walsh

KinleyWater

Posted: July 03 2017 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Sounds like a great rifle - Sometimes I feel like scopes and such are a bit of a fuss.

Old Ranger

Posted: July 03 2017 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Yup, as long as my sight holds up, I'm good to go. 70 and my up close vision stinks but I can spot a rabbit at 75yds in the brush. As to the rifle, all in all it's in great shape. Made late 60's or early 70's and just right for this old man.

Oh, since I fixed my granddaughter and her husband with the old Lyman AA dies in .243Win, I ordered a vintage set of Lyman 310 dies in.243Win. They arrived today. Near dead mint. Drove to Tyler today to Academy and bought a box of Hornady Varmint 87gr HPBT.243 bullets and a box of their store brand Monarch .243Win 100gr SP ammo. Now I I've got 40 cases/rounds to piddle around with to find the right load this old gal likes.

After cleaning and oiling the 310 dies, you know that I just had to load just a few. And I can hear Rex and Lynn chuckling out there. And Guy's probably grinning wondering what load I'll come up with.

Well, all I've got is a little RX15. A full pound of IMR4320. A pound of H380. And a pound of IMR3031. So I'll build some starting loads with each beginning with the RX15 at 34gr. I don't have data on an 87gr bullet so I'm using data for a 90gr. Can't go wrong with a load for a slightly heavier bullet for one that's 3gr lighter right?
But the 310 felt delightful loading even just these few up!

And I gotta tell ya, the encouragement from y'all is amazing and is giving me lots of incentive to get this old girl running at optimum charge!

Monte Walsh

KinleyWater

Posted: July 03 2017 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Very cool. Let us know what load she ends up liking.

dahlin

Posted: July 03 2017 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote dahlin

Checked my Hornady manual for RL15 it has 29.10 gr @2600fps to 37.5gr @3100fps hope this will help if you need numbers for the other powder let me know and I'll post. That is for the Honady 87gr bthp. Randy
Back to Top View dahlin's Profile Search for other posts by dahlin

Old Ranger

Posted: July 03 2017 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Thanks! That let's me know I'm on the right track.
Aside from a 2014 Alliant loading book given to me at a gun shop, and a few downloads, I've not bought a loading manual since 1981. Guess I'm in the land that time forgot. I really should be more up to date huh?

Monte Walsh

KinleyWater

Posted: July 03 2017 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Ranger,

I looked into my Hornady 9th as well. For the 87 grain, I found:

IMR4320: 29.5 start 36.9 MAX
No other powders you have are listed.

For 100 grainers, I looked into my Lyman 50th Ed. in addition to my Hornady manual and found none of the powders you stated for any of the loads.

richhodg66

Posted: July 03 2017 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I have a 310 tool and set of .22 Hornet dies I need to break out and learn to use. I only ever neck size those little cases so the tong tool ought to be the ticket.

No experience loading .243, but I'm told it's like the .223 in that it's hard to load inaccurate ammo for it. I know the 6mm I have is crazy accurate. Seems the .243 should work too.

Old Ranger

Posted: July 03 2017 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Thanks K-W for the 4320 data. Between this, the data Randy had, and such I'll build a zinger load for this rascal. Oh yeah, it'll happen.

Rich, I believe that the old 310's one of the greatest tools I've loaded with. The necksizing is super precise. The expansion die varies though for jacketed and cast. Can't afford to get the two mixed up though.
Case in point:
Jacketed 30'06. Expansion of neck with bullet entrance flair is .308" exact.
Cast 30'06. Expansion is .311" with entrance flair for a bullet sized to .3095" to .310".
Obviously, they are far from interchangeable.

Much depends upon how well one sets up his dies with the tool. But after a few times of setting up the 310 it becomes easier. Today, I cleaned, oiled, and set up the 243Win dies in 20 min. Someone new to it would take far longer with some mistakes possible if in a hurry. But when set up correctly, you can do a box of 20 as fast or even a bit quicker than with a single stage press. And they're going to be very precise too. Of course, once set up, with the exception of a change in bullets, they never move.

One thing most people overlook is the case adaptor [shell guide] that fits into the handles. So many people sell the handles with an adaptor in it and then the dies are sold, but then are usless. You cannot work the 310 and dies without the correct adaptor in place. It is 100% vital for operation of the 310.

For my sizing wax I use neutral Kiwi Shoe Wax. A dab on my fingers. A twist around the neck and ready to size. For the expander, a small bit of wax lightly swiped across the neck opening so the plug has a little lube. And a paper towel to quickly remove the wax when done. Setting seating depth and crimp if needed is like conventional dies.

I seriously load benchrest quality loads with the 310 and the beauty of it is I could load between matches with all my gear in a small toolbox.

Edited by Old Ranger on July 03 2017 at 9:49pm

Monte Walsh

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version