Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: Independence Day at the Range Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 04 2017 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote M700

Took two of my favorite hunting rifles to the range this morning. What a fine start to Independence Day! Refined the zeros, and got some practice in at 100, 200 and 300 yards.

Ruger Number One .375 H&H with a 3x Leupold, zeroed at 100 yards, with handloaded 270 grain Hornady round-nose soft point bullets. It is a pretty good thumper and I've shot three black bears with it in the past. I had no problem with it at 200 or 300 yards either.

Also hauled out the deer, antelope and coyote slaying .25-06 Remington 700 CDL. Have a new scope on it, a fixed 6x36 Leupold with LR dots. I like it! Zeroed it today at 200 yards, with the 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip "Blue Cyclone" ammo at 3120 fps. Tried the dots for the first time today and found them to be helpful at 300+ yards.

A mighty fine start to the day, and am back inside before the temps climb too much.

Enjoy the day!

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

richhodg66

Posted: July 04 2017 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

There's a Remington 798 in a local gun shop in .375 H&H that has been calling my name. I've been messing with a .38-55 for a while now so I now have a few good molds in the 250 grain range with flat noses that would make awesome deer bullets at 1700-1800 FPS. It would seem strange deer hunting with an elephant rifle, but I bet it would work great.

M700

Posted: July 04 2017 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote M700

richhodg66 wrote:
There's a Remington 798 in a local gun shop in .375 H&H that has been calling my name. I've been messing with a .38-55 for a while now so I now have a few good molds in the 250 grain range with flat noses that would make awesome deer bullets at 1700-1800 FPS. It would seem strange deer hunting with an elephant rifle, but I bet it would work great.

I'll bet it would. I've got a few of the old 220 grain jacketed flat-nose Hornady bullets that I sometimes shoot at about 1900 fps. Very mild, and I think it would be a fine whitetail load.

I like those 798's - Very cool rifles. Remington sure didn't market them very long. What, two or three years? They were generating more interest than the good old Remington 700's!

Guy

richhodg66

Posted: July 04 2017 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Near as I can tell, the 798 is just the old Interarms Mark X with Remington stamped on it. Not that that is a bad thing, they are and always have been good rifles.

M700

Posted: July 04 2017 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote M700

I think you're right. They are good rifles!

Guy

Buffalogun

Posted: July 04 2017 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

Today, while Guy was playing around with a new scope up in Washington, I was playing around with a new sight down here in the swamp. About 95 degrees outside.

I thought it might be interesting to check out one of the red dot sights being offered and I picked up one of Bushnell's TRS-25 models.

This is a 3 moa sight and is one of the lower cost sights but it comes with many good reviews. Battery life is supposed to be around 3,000 hrs. Magnification is 1x.

It seems to be made stoutly and I thought it should be able to handle the recoil from the good old 30-30.

The gun is a Savage m24 30-30/12ga. with 24" barrels. The shotgun chamber is 3" and it came with interchangeable choke tubes. Having two barrels, the gun is too heavy and cumbersome when a riflescope is mounted.

So, the little TRS-25 weighs less than 4 oz. and is hardly noticeable when carrying.

Since this is the first time I've used a red dot, I wanted to try it against different backgrounds to see if the dot still stands out enough for good sighting.

I had no problem picking up the dot when shooting the orange target or when aiming against any other background. Adjustments were positive and move freely. The sight has 11 different brightness settings and I shot during "sun with some shadows" using the #3 setting.

I think this sight could be used very well in the deer woods.

Mike

richhodg66

Posted: July 04 2017 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I have one of the old Savage 24s, mine is the camper model which is short, .22 LR over 20 gauge and has space in the stock for extra ammo.

I like the idea, but the trigger pull is too heavy to shoot the .22 barrel very well. Still a neat little gun.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version