Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: New molds Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
John Van Gelder

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 07 2017 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I have this bullet

It is the Lee 358 125 gr. it woks very well in .38/.357 and makes a very nice 9mm bullet. A little lighter makes my lead supply go further.

I wanted a lighter bullet for the .45 Colt so I got this one as well

It is the 452 200. A nice light bullet for the .45 Colt, and this bullet feeds nicely in any of my .45ACP guns.

It makes a very efficient load for my Blackhawk with the .45ACP cylinder.

Last winter I got a little crazy, perhaps an artifact of cabin fever, lots of snow and cold last winter, but I jumped into the polymer frame, striker fired gun thing. I could not bring myself to buy a Glock, I did get a 9mm Ruger and a Ruger American .45ACP.

I really like the American and as we all know Ruger stuff is very durable, they went beyond durable when they designed the American.

A load that I really like for the American, believe it or not, is a .454 round ball, tumble lubed and taper crimped right at the middle of the ball, I have two loads for the ball 4 gr. of Hodgdons Clays will not function the action making the brass easier to find when hunting small game. And five grains of clays will function the action and they feed just as well as 230 gr, hardball.

Those loads are very accurate and I have shot ground squirrels out to 25 yards. The RB weighs 140 gr. and are just fun to shoot.

Not a new idea for me I was loading RBs in a old Colt 1911, not an A1, this was an original WW1 gun that was never issued. I got it through NRA DCM for $45.00, back in 1967.

The round balls make great small game loads, are less destructive on small game than .22LR hollow points, and these days are cheaper to shoot.       
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

richhodg66

Posted: July 07 2017 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Oldranger has been raving about how good that light .45 bullet is in another couple of threads. Might have to pick that one up soon.

Old Ranger

Posted: July 07 2017 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

John, I had an older Lee's 125 RNFP mould that made great accurate bullets until it fell apart after about 500 castings. Loved the bullet. Hated the mould. Bet you got the new one that's way better. I like the new ones a lot.

And yeah, the Lee 200gr RNFP is great in both 45s. An amazing bullet design. The boys in the R&D section of Lee deserve a real pat on the back for that one!
It's so accurate in the 45Colt it's downright stupid! I don't think I've ever loaded one that shoots poorly.

Edited by Old Ranger on July 07 2017 at 1:45pm

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 07 2017 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I like the the way the 200 gr.RNFP works in my Ruger American .45ACP. I can pretty much keep all of my shots on a volley ball size basalt rock out in the meadow at 75 yards.

The 125 358 bullet works very well in my 9mms, but really shines in .38spl brass at around 1000 fps, they shoot pretty flat and the recoil is negligible in my GP100.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Old Ranger

Posted: July 08 2017 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

John, are you using the double cavity or the six? Many folks have said wonderful things about the 6 cavity. Perhaps it's just me, but I don't think I need them as I'm comfortable with a double to cast enough for my requirements. My casting these days are 30 minutes to maybe 45 minutes and I'll cast from one mould or sometimes two. Might drop a hundred or so a piece and I quit. I use an old Ideal dipper as I have zero tolerance for the bottom pour.

Monte Walsh

richhodg66

Posted: July 08 2017 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I really like the Lee six cavity molds. One of those with a good bottom pour pot (I use a Lyman 61) and you can churn out a lot of bullets in a hurry. Doesn't wear out my left forearm like the iron gang molds do either.

I used to hate Lee molds too, but I've gotten the hang of them now and they work OK, but the six cavities have always been good for me.

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 09 2017 at 5:19am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I have double cavity molds, fast enough for my needs. Once you get your mold and metal to the right temperature,the bullets just fall out of the mold, the only limiting factor is waiting for the sprue to cool.

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 09 2017 at 5:29am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I have had the Lee 255 RNFP for several years and that is a good shooter in all of my .45, a little heavy in the ACP. I haven't tried any of the 200 RNFP bullets in my .45 Colt/.45ACP Blackhawk yet, that should make some pretty efficient loads.

I also have the Lee 429-200 RNFP, that is my favorite bullet in the .44SPL. Those come out of the mold right at .430, I tumble lube those.

Old Ranger

Posted: July 09 2017 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

That 200gr RNFP mould for the 44 casts a great looking bullet but sadly it has always leaded up the bore. Slightly undersized, I tried some tricks with it but just gave up on it. So that mould sits in the "Don't use anymore" box. Sure wanted it to work but if I messed with it anymore I'd end up throwing it out the backdoor into the woods. I don't smash em anymore after my anvil was stolen by crackheads.

Went back to the Gordon Boser design 429360 SWC. Lubricated with a dip in melted paste wax, paraffin, and a touch of LLA, and sized in a 310 sizing chamber, its good to go.

As to the 200gr RNFP in the 45Colt, my oh my! I don't think I've loaded up a bad one yet. Bullseye, Herco, Unique, even W231, all simply put em in the spot and well! Love that bullet. I'm glad ya got this mould. It's going to do great things for ya!

Monte Walsh

richhodg66

Posted: July 09 2017 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Wade, is that undersized .44 a Lee? I've never done it, but it seems to be common practice to lap out Lee molds by cutting a slot in the base of a few bullets cast in it, then coating said bullets with valve lapping compound, closing it inside the cavities and then turning it with a screw driver. Shouldn't take much to open up an aluminum mold.

richhodg66

Posted: July 09 2017 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Pretty good source of knowledge here.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/MoldMods/default.html

Old Ranger

Posted: July 09 2017 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Rich, I no longer have the hand strength I once possessed and further, I lack the ambition to mess with it. It's better I simply move on to another level.

Monte Walsh

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 09 2017 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

In straight lead mine are .430, and a little bigger with alloy.

If your mold is under sized then a paper patch would work very nicely. The paper I use is parchment paper, I get it in the baking section of my local walmart. It is pretty tough high temp paper.

Old Ranger

Posted: July 09 2017 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Yes sir, it drops em at .429" which by the way, is the exact diameter I size my Gordon SWC! Go figure? The Lee 200gr RNFP were accurate, but a disaster leaving lead and such. I don't paper patch pistols. Did with the 45-70's but I'm not about to start with a.44 pistol bullet. Nope, my Gordon bullets are just fine with the softer mix I have now.

Back to your use of the Lee cowboy bullets. I absolutely love the 125gr 38's crimping groove. Deep tapered and at the best spot on the bullet. The 200gr RNFP 45 is almost as well cut and again, perfectly placed. That's one thing I missed with the 38Spl RCBS 140gr RNFP, a deep tapered crimping groove. Its got a shallow straight groove that makes it a pain to work with. Not impossible, but not much room for a solid crimp. Granted, the 140gr did print closer to the POI with my fixed sighed Colts & Smith. The Lyman 358665 turned out to be my top choice of the 38s I cast as far as ease of casting, loading, and shooting.

And like yourself, the Lee 200gr RNFP is a dandy in my 45ACP and beats the pants off the old Ideal 452374 by a WIDE margin!

Edited by Old Ranger on July 09 2017 at 2:20pm

Monte Walsh

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 10 2017 at 5:36am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I like the big meplat on the 200 gr. RNFP bullet, I can drive those a bit faster in my .45ACP than the 255 of the same design. I have quite a few interactions with bears an mountain lions here and a magazine full of the 200s at around 950 should do the trick.

Old Ranger

Posted: July 10 2017 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Yes sir, that bullet has a nose like a round piano stool! Though I haven't had the pleasure of introducing it to one of our large feral hogs that roam my woods, I have the utmost confidence that it will knock em on their ass with one round. And from either the old standard 45Colt or the 45ACP I firmly believe that bullet in either cartridge is nothing short of pure lethal at the velocity it's capable of.

Monte Walsh

John Van Gelder

Posted: July 11 2017 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I may have the opportunity of introducing one of the 200s to a bear,I have one that is getting a bit too familiar.

Old Ranger

Posted: July 11 2017 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

That bear won't know what hit him!

Monte Walsh

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version