Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: 30-06 ? Dad was right! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 13 2017 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote M700

More than 50 years ago, when I was a kid Dad told me I only needed a .22 rimfire and a .30-06 for hunting. Last year I selected my 30-06 Rem 700 CDL for all my hunting. Umm... It worked... So, do I really need any of the others? Why not sell 'em all except the 30-06, and fund another hunt or two? :)

Well? I dunno. I do LIKE the heck out of several other rifles, but dang... Only tag I didn't fill was cougar, because I didn't see one. Pretty sure the 30-06 could have handled that as well.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

richhodg66

Posted: July 13 2017 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

When you look at what it will do well across a broad spectrum of tasks and consider how long it's been doing it, the .30-06 is the best thing going, hands down. A lot of that has to do with ammo selection and bullet availability for the handloader, nothing necessarily magic about that.

Yeah the '06 is king and you could get by fine with only that, but where would the fun in that be?

Ham Gunner

Posted: July 13 2017 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Heck, just keep the .22 and sell all the rest. Bella Twin done just fine on that big grizzly with just a .22 long.

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

M700

Posted: July 13 2017 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Ham, you go right ahead and shoot a big ol' grizz with the .22 with me to watch. And somebody with a video camera...

I'll be holding a bigger rifle, just in case!

Guy

richhodg66

Posted: July 14 2017 at 5:10am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I read somewhere that more grizzlies had fallen to the .303 British than any other cartridge. Makes sense when you think about it, Canada has the most grizzlies and the .303 was their .30-06, so probably the most common rifle cartridge out there at least for a while.

I doubt I'll ever hunt anything bigger than Kansas white tails for the rest of my life and the '06 is (in my opinion) almost grossly over powerful for that. My old Model 70 is sitting in a rack a few feet away with some hunting loads I made for it and never got it out this past season )tagged out early). Might just shoot some of those this afternoon.

Old Ranger

Posted: July 14 2017 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Guy, my dad was much the same. He had a 1952 Win M70 in .30'06, an old Rem. 870 in 20ga, and his old Colt Officer's Model revolver in .41LC. That was it. When he sold his .41LC I gave him a 4" M19 S&W with some hot 38Spl loads. But back to your point, or rather that of your father's. I too agree that the .30'06 is simply the best there is. When I lost all my weapons, the first thing I replaced was the '06. After that, everything else was just toys to piddle around with.
Remember, as a young lad on the rez I kept many families in meat with nothing more than an '03A3, a box of handloads, and my horse to carry it all. Few years later an '06 took care of my distance work with NVA officers and the like on the other side of the world.
Yeah, a .30'06 is all ya ever really need. Your father, mine, and a slew of others can't be wrong.

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

KinleyWater

Posted: July 15 2017 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Sell guns? You can sell them??? All this time I thought the only thing you could do was buy them...

Boy i sure hope my wife never finds this out

Old Ranger

Posted: July 16 2017 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

My last one did. One of the many reasons she's an EX-wife!

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

JD45

Posted: July 17 2017 at 5:25am | IP Logged Quote JD45

If you've got the money to hunt all that stuff, I'm kinda sure you won't have to sell anything.
Back to Top View JD45's Profile Search for other posts by JD45

M700

Posted: July 17 2017 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote M700

JD45 wrote:
If you've got the money to hunt all that stuff, I'm kinda sure you won't have to sell anything.

This past year has been an exceptional hunting year for me. Six big game animals in a year is something I've never done before. If the wolf counts as big game. If not, it's five.

The black bear and the cow elk were taken here in my home state of Washington. Just a tank of gas, and a box of handloaded .30-06 ammo, in addition to the regular hunting license, a bear tag and a cow tag. No great expense there.

Every other year I try to go to Wyoming to hunt. For the past 15+ years. Sometimes I don't make it, because of time or money, but I do love the trip. I've taken elk, mule deer and pronghorn in Wyoming. Am trying to go there again in October, 2018, and just sold an old shotgun which I wasn't using anymore. The cash from that old gun will go a long way towards helping me pay for the 2018 trip.

Last fall was one of my every-other-year Wyoming hunts. I was fortunate enough to take a pretty good mule deer buck and an average antelope. It does cost a bit for me to hunt Wyoming, but I raise money for my hunting & fishing hobbies through a small one-man business I operate. Makes enough cash that I don't have to impact the family budget to hunt.

Alaska.. I've wanted to hunt Alaska for about 50 years. Finally made it happen! Years ago I got hungry for a "big" hunt. Africa? Alaska? Set up an investment account and contributed to it regularly. Grinned as the stock market soared. Pulled some cash and bought myself that long-awaited Alaska trip. Took years to save for it!

That piggy bank took a big hit from Alaska, and I don't have a lot of time to grow more investments to do another big hunt... So, I started looking at what else I can do to raise cash for another big hunt...

My business might take off and do real well... Maybe.

I own a fair number of guns I've picked up over the decades, and most of them don't get used. Hmmm... I started looking at the small collection, and realized I am sitting on enough there to fund another big hunt! Cool. I just might do that, rather than just store these old guns that aren't doing anything for me.

Am just a retired small town cop on a modest pension, but I was smart enough to invest pretty well over the past 25 years and we're doing fine. My little business funds my hunting, fishing, and shooting hobbies, with no impact on our family budget.

Anyway, that's how I work it.

Regards, Guy

Edited by M700 on July 17 2017 at 11:40am

KinleyWater

Posted: July 17 2017 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Well, Guy, despite my jocular response, I understand completely. I have know a few people who bought firearms solely as a means of investing. I have had to sell guns before to finance a trip across country as directed by Uncle Sam, and that left a bad taste in my mouth, but your situation is certainly different. So:

I will come out publicly and throw my support behind your logic. It's sound and, most importantly, it works for you and yours. In the end, these are tools, possessions; and it is far better to own them than to be owned by them.

KW

richhodg66

Posted: July 17 2017 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Guy's a better financial manager than I am. I spent most of mine on whiskey and hookers, the rest I just kinda wasted...

M700

Posted: July 17 2017 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote M700

KW - ya, I was pretty upset some years ago when I had to sell a couple of nice rifles and a really nice revolver...

To repair the family car!

Good Grief. We were short on cash. The family car needed major repairs. Sigh... Didn't want to borrow money or put it on the credit card to just fix a car. So I sold three real nice guns.

If I do some more selling now, it's more of a choice, not a necessity.

I have some guns my sons want when I pass on, and I won't sell those. But some others... They're just cash sitting here with barrels, triggers & stocks!

That old shotgun I sold recently? It brought a bit over $2500 and that is about half what I expect to spend on my Wyoming hunting trip next year! Halfway there! Hadn't used that shotgun in 20 years...

Guy

Edited by M700 on July 17 2017 at 2:52pm

hoghunter

Posted: July 17 2017 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

The 30 06 will handle 99% of all North American hunting
chores. It's an excellent choice.

Not sure I would feel confomtable hunting Griz with one
but I'm no authority on hunting Griz either.

I would add a varmint / predator caliber to your Dad's
minimum list, i.e. 223, or 22 250 or 243.

I've reduced my calibers to three: 223 Rem, 243 Win and
308 Win. These handle all my eastern US hunting needs
from varmint to deer to black bear. Really don't need the
243, I just like shooting it because of the light recoil.
Back to Top View hoghunter's Profile Search for other posts by hoghunter

M700

Posted: July 17 2017 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote M700

hoghunter, you'll be pleased to note that Dad (now 90, still handloading, shooting and hunting) also has a .22-250, which he uses for varmint shooting.

And he still has his .30-06, though he hasn't been on a "big game" hunt in many years.

Oh - I chose my 30-06 over my 375 based on the advice of the guide. It worked out just fine. He did say that if we'd been hunting the big coastal brown bears, or on Kodiak, he'd have been happiest with me bringing the 375 rifle. These interior grizzlies are not huge. They can get big, and are full of "attitude" but they're not normally huge.

Guy

Edited by M700 on July 17 2017 at 7:43pm

KinleyWater

Posted: July 18 2017 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

M700 wrote:

That old shotgun I sold recently? It brought a bit over $2500 and that is about half what I expect to spend on my Wyoming hunting trip next year! Halfway there! Hadn't used that shotgun in 20 years...

Guy

That's a trade well worth making. The memories of that hunt will last 20 years also, and you get to use them whenever you want.

REM1875

Posted: July 18 2017 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote REM1875

KinleyWater wrote:
Sell guns? You can sell them???
All this time I thought the only thing you could
do was buy them...

Boy i sure hope my wife never finds this out

WoW that makes 2 of us about the wife thing and I will
admit this is totally news to me about being able to
sell them.

Been looking around the house for one I would part
with and sell--for about 40 years now - still can't
find one......
I did trade one once for a set of micrometers --back
then we didn't have $5 ones from china....Still using
the mics -was a good trade at the time....and I have
never been sorry about it - a sporterized......no make
that bubba'd 303 Brit- I still think the sling was
worth more than the rifle.....

"If it killed em a 150 years ago, it still kill em today" (answer to a comment about black powder weapons)
Back to Top View REM1875's Profile Search for other posts by REM1875

Yeti

Posted: July 18 2017 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote Yeti

Guy,I am with you on using the equity in your collection to fund your
experiences. There are a couple of guns in my safe that will never leave. But
for the most part they are all just tools for me. Some are nicer tools than others
but they are still just that, tools.

One of my neighbors is going to hunt ID where we hunted last year. I offered
him the very nice Kimber I took on the hunt. He couldn't believe I would sell or
loan it to him. I told him it did exactly what I wanted it to do for me so I was
happy with it. Now I want to turn it into something else.

I will take the experience over the gear any day of the week.

Enjoy.

M700

Posted: July 19 2017 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote M700

Yeti wrote:

I will take the experience over the gear any day of the week.

Enjoy.

That is exactly my thought. I like doing things, more than owning things, and sometimes the choice must be made.

There are a few guns that will never leave. Grandpa's .45 Colt New Service. My old 20 ga double that my son now hunts pheasant with. But most are available, for the right price.

Guy

M700

Posted: July 19 2017 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote M700

This beautiful, custom-made 375 H&H Model 70 is the finest rifle I've ever owned. I bought it with thoughts of both Alaska and Africa in mind. The big Alaskan hunt is in the bag now, without using this rifle, and I don't know if I'll ever get to Africa for cape buff, or not...

I'm going to percolate a while on that one, figure out if I'm going to go for Cape Buff.

If not, there's a line of people who have offered to buy it from me, and one, a pretty doggone fine young man recently retired from the Marines, will likely end up with it. I'd be very happy to see him take it to Africa and slay all sorts of big critters with it!

But for now, it's not really for sale. I might need it for that cape buff hunt...

Unless somebody offered me a lot of money for it! Then it might be for sale today!

Guy

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version