Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: Accuracy testing but is it fair? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rex

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 20 2017 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Rex

Last week I set my swing plate up and shot 358429 bullets in 357 brass over 6.5 grains Unique. I shot up the target all around the edges whish isn't too bad for me. Had no leading in the barrel.
Today I shot the same load & gun with 358447 150 grain bullets and clustered them nicely (for me) with just a bit of lead at clean up.
Now do I call the 358477 bullets more accurate or did I just jerk the trigger and flinch at the proper time today?
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Old Ranger

Posted: July 20 2017 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Rex, is that 6.5gr load The Definitive load for the 429s derived from prior tests or ya just tossing in a safe, but otherwise arbitrary load in it?

Reason I ask is that in my findings with the 429, it must have some punch behind it to shoot well. It has never preformed well slowerb except in a Colt [ 1:16 twist].

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Rex

Posted: July 21 2017 at 4:06am | IP Logged Quote Rex

Trying to hold the leading down Wade. The old Lyman #45
lists 7 grains Unique as the accuracy load. I never gave it the extra .5 grain to see.

Rex

Posted: July 21 2017 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote Rex

Wade, I am starting to put some 358429 with 13.5 grains 2400 together, If I get to shoot before the temp and humidity both reach 106, I'll see how those do.

Old Ranger

Posted: July 21 2017 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Rex ole buddy, I hear ya on the lead business.
Funny that in #44 & #45 7gr Unique was the accuracy load yet in #46 0 they don't even list Unique with heavier bullets. Weird huh?

I eventually loaded up mags with 357446 & 6gr Unique for fun loads and 7.5gr Unique for rip-snorters. Now that was a hammerin' load there.

Well have fun and stay outta the heat.
Me? I got the next week off. VA has me on some heavy-duty medication and I have to avoid direct sunlight. So I still have several hundred .38Spl cases to prep and load with "The Consolidated Load".

Monte Walsh

Rex

Posted: July 21 2017 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Rex

Wade, take care of yourself!
Tried the 13.5 2400 load and don't like it. Didn't group bad but enough higher than the other bullet that I would have to change my sights and I ain't going to.
Best use I've found for this big bullet is right where Elmer designed it for, a 38 special case with a dose of 2400.
Now I need to get back to work with the 357446, so much for consolidating my loads.
I do have arthritis in the lower thumb joint on my right hand so the light loads may be where I stick.

Edited by Rex on July 21 2017 at 9:00am

Old Ranger

Posted: July 22 2017 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Rex, I'll be fine. Changed VA clinics and the one I'm going to now is 180 out from the last. Gone from nearly total ignor at the last one to full personal care and treatment. Real refreshing.

As to the test being fair, well really that's hard to say. Methods of how one finds their accuracy load can differ. As being human beings, we tend to think and speak in the first person. It's usually " I do this..... I do that...." as we naturally communicate with each other that way. So if I had a method to find accurate loads using a set principle, it would likely not be the same for another as we are individuals with different views. And here's mine, of course.

Unless the margin from starting load to max is narrow, I seldom use the starting load. Often it is a load that's slightly above the level where stuck bullets or detonation may occur. The lowest safe level. Maximum is peak industry pressure and not always the best for accuracy in most cases. The magic load is between near, but seldom, is the top. Historically, and mathematically the best pressure level, greatest combustion of powder, and accuracy lies between 90% to 95% of the listed max load. That is often the zone I will end up in with developing an accurate and reliable load.

My shortcut to loading is to start 10% below maximum. Starting there, I am in the lower threshold of the "sweet spot" and more importantly, well within safe chamber pressure and sensibility. Increasing by 2%, oftentimes that's a matter of .2gr or .3gr, I gradually reach the best functionality of a cartridge/bullet/powder in very little time and effort. Often I am hampered by leading far more than the discovery of "The Load" which is very easy to find with my "90% from top and go up easy" method. In pistols, I'm sometimes greeted by leading first, but not always of course. More often than not I arrive at the optimum load for power and accuracy in one or two loads in test functions. Seldom have I ever really been confronted with a poor load from my method.

Well, I hope that adds some perspective, even if it's obviously from one individual voicing "his" opinion. My shortcut to loading works well for me. The "Top 10%" has,by statistical analysis, proven to be a progressive means of finding the best. In the matter of the media, be it print or electronic, you will often see "The Top Ten" listed in subject reviews. But since we're only human, I can only speak for myself.

Monte Walsh

Rex

Posted: July 23 2017 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

Thanks Wade. You have enough gray matter (inside the head) that when you speak I listen. Towards the end of next week I'll have time to play with that.

Old Ranger

Posted: July 24 2017 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Thanks for the flowers Rex. But as I was pointing out the method used in my work will often differ from others. Like I said, we humans tend to focus upon ourselves in conversations in a forum. An example would be a guy had only Red Dot and wants to load .45ACP. He'll get responses that won't be for Red Dot. Instead, it will be "I use xx grains of AA#2" or "I'll load xx grains of Bullseye" and so on. Ignoring the fact that the guy only has Red Dot, people are going to state what THEY use and completely ignore the requirements of the other guy. And we do this all the time and we're all guilty of it. Thus the top 10% loading discipline used by me. It works well for me thus subconsciously I naturally presume that it's what you need. In a little while another person will come in and say "Now I use...." and be different. That's ok, we're human yes? After all, didn't I give you a method that I use, stemming from personal use? You're lucky really as many now include links to YouTube and such whereupon one is bombarded with all sorts of stuff!

Edited by Old Ranger on July 24 2017 at 8:58am

Monte Walsh

Bis

Posted: August 20 2017 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote Bis

Old ranger, this is a little off topic, actually a lot
off topic. I don't know how close you are to palestine
texas, but their clinic is great. You might give them a
try.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login