Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
General Discussion
 Handloads.Com Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: Herters powder scale Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Old Ranger

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 August 2017 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

I have on the bench, an old RCBS 505 scale that has performed top notch for decades. No complaints. But in my 310 toolbox is a newfangled digital scale, and I don't trust it. Has to adjust to temperature, needs to "warm up", requires calibrations and other crap I can't remember. Plus batteries? Come on, it ain't worth it. And again, I don't trust it!

So being old, from the Old School, I prefer old things. Now to the point of all this. Couple days ago I landed an old Herters powder scale from the late 50's or perhaps early 60's. The ugly brown one made for Herters by Redding with the oil reservoir under the pivot point with a paddle attachment to the beam. Yeah, you guys from way back when know what I'm talking about. Superb accuracy and fast to settle with the oil in place. Redding suggested 30W motor oil in it years ago, but I knew some guys that used 3-in-1 oil, Remoil, and Singer sewing machine oil. Others used no oil and waited for the beam to settle without any dampening effect of the oil.

From the pictures of the old scale, I couldn't see if the paddle attachment was still in place. Some people broke them off, often on purpose. Meatheads. I just hope Bubba never owned this one. I intend to use it with the 310 gear along with the old Ideal No.5 powder measure. After use, I'll use a siphoning tube to return the oil to a container for portability. My intent is to keep it in the box with the 310 gear to double check the No.5's metering slides. I can get close, but not always due to changes in powder from when the chart I use came out in the 50's. I usually am within a half grain most of the time. Need an accurate scale for final settings.

When the scale gets here I'll take a few pics and post em if I can shrink em enough to work here. Just found out that's what ya gotta do for pics, I think
For just a penny shy of a $20 bill, it was a deal I think.

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Rex

Posted: 09 August 2017 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

Great find, Wade. I liked all of the old Herters Model Perfect stuff.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Old Ranger

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 5:00am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Thanks Rex. It should be here Sat according to the tracking thing. We'll see. The oil dampening system was really quick to settle. I hope its intact. The seller didn't know what I was talking about with the beam paddle. He's a guy that goes to estate sales, buys stuff, and tries to turn a profit. Bet he paid diddly for it as it went cheap enough to me!

Monte Walsh

Ham Gunner

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Sounds like a dandy scale and a great deal. Quick to settle would be a great feature for sure.

I have both the RCBS 505 and the old sand colored Ohaus model of the newer RCBS 10-10. I set the pans on both to a slight swinging motion before I start dropping powder to make certain that they give correct readings. Works accurately that way, but otherwise I just don't trust them to give the very finest readings.

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

Old Ranger

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Well guys, it's like this. I can keep the old 505 on my little bench or use it in the 310's toolbox and put the Herters scale on the bench. That way I wouldn't have to drain the oil to put it away. But again, my cats climb on EVERYTHING in my place and the old 505 has been knocked down tons of times. Now dumping oil all over the place would sure strain the relationship with my little ones if the Herters is on the bench.

But the primary reason is to replace the digital scale. I flat out don't trust it any further than I can toss an ivory piano. In good weather I'll sometimes set up and load outside and enjoy the fresh air and test loads at the same time. That digital gizmo won't behave outside anymore than indoors. Be simple to use the Herters scale, and when done siphon off the oil into a container and stuff a corner of a shop towel into the reservoir for storage. At least that's the plan.... I think..

Monte Walsh

The_Shadow

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote The_Shadow

Wade I'm with you on the digital scale...however the
best thing about them is finding unknown weights
faster even if it is + / - a little.

The little Frankfort Arsenal digital I have has a few
percs. The biggest is that it only reads even numbered
tenth's of a grain. 0.0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8
It needs to be re zeroed often and it will shut off to
save the battery.

One thing is that I can set the tare zero with the
scale pan from my RCBS 5-10 scale, on the digital
scale and transfer the pan between the two scales for
comparing the objects for same weights...

One of the best uses for that digital scale was to
sort out a mix of 2K 0.224 pulled bullets I purchased.
This allowed me to quickly sort them by weights as
some were 62 grain and some were 64 grain and looked
exactly the same. There was 9 different styles and
weights in that lot of bullets. The digital scale did
its job for that task.

LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Menber
BASS Life Menber
Back to Top View The_Shadow's Profile Search for other posts by The_Shadow

Ham Gunner

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

I also have one of the little inexpensive Frankfort Arsenal digital scales and it is apparently like Wade's except that it will measure to the tenth grain and reads out all numbers. It is finicky when first turned on and requires a bit of warming up and multiple recalibrating steps with turning it on and off several times before it settles down and starts working accurately.

I mostly use the little digital to segregate my freshly cast bullets into light, middle, and heavy from a casting session and I can toss out anything that weighs any less from those average weights as they are likely not properly filled out and anything heavier is segregated into a fourth group or tossed back into the furnace.

The little digital does not get used very much, but it is handy for quickly weighing things such as bullets. It only takes about two seconds or so for it to give a reading and I watch that for about one second to make certain that it does not scratch it's head and decide that it needs to add or subtract a tenth or so.

At around $25, one gets what they pay for but it is handy for what I have chosen to use it for.

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version