Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: I need intervention! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Old Ranger

Online Status: Offline
Posted: August 12 2017 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

I was finally consolidated. A single bullet for .38Spl and .357Mag. One for .44Spl and .44mag. And one for the 45Colt and 45ACP. Two cast, one store bought, and six handguns and one lever action carbine fed with complete confidence resulting from analytical and deductive reasoning. I was trimmed down. Leaned out and simplified.

Then I was doing my routine oil and clean duties on my moulds. I do this every 3 months. I have no rusty gear in spite of the average humidity of 72%. And then I saw an old wadcutter mould introduced in the mid 50's. Ok, I cast a few. Loaded 50. What could that hurt? Then there's that cool old Ideal double cavity mould with one being a 358429 with the round lube groove, and the other cavity is the 358250, the first bullet Ideal maxe for the 38Spl in 1904. Like the 358311, but with two lube grooves and a thick base. Before I knew it I had 75 each...

Then two days ago a Lee double cavity mould in 452-255gr RF arrives. I had to cast immediately after I got it. It's the law, ya gotta cast within an hour of getting a new mould! Now I have 150 of the 255gr big boys cast and 30 loaded. And I loaded them with my trusty 310 from start to finish. Weighing the set up of the old Ideal No.5 powder measure with an old Herters scale that arrived yesterday. It was bought for the 310's toolbox.

Guys, I think I need help. I need intervention! I get all squared away, consolidation central. Then I slip. Regression from the self discipline I function under. I confess. I'm a cast bullet junkie. Fallen off the cast bullets wagon into a pool of moulds and sizing dies. I'll likely drown in bullet lube. And I was doing so good too.

Now I gotta go try out those 255gr 45Colt thumpers! Loaded with 6gr of Red Dot and all assembled with the 310 it was a nostalgic moment. Can't wait to go blast sumpin'!!

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Rex

Posted: August 13 2017 at 4:50am | IP Logged Quote Rex

"My name is Wade and I'm a mouldaholic."
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Old Ranger

Posted: August 13 2017 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Yeah, and we got a monsoon going on right now. Can't go try out the new 255gr 45Colt, so I guess I'll cast a bit. What can I say? I'm a sick puppy.

Monte Walsh

Rex

Posted: August 13 2017 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote Rex

We had an inch .75 last night but needed it real bad.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Old Ranger

Posted: August 13 2017 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Oh boy! Rain passed going NE at a pretty good clip...
Let's see. Sandy soil. Most of property at 15 southern sloped grade.... Dry enough for forced march to pistol range without slipping in mud, 30 minutes!
Hoo-ah! Ranger is happy. Must shoot new castings.

SITREP: Fired 15 at 15yds. McQueen Method. 4 rds 1" low & centered. All touching, then dropped the 5th low left! Then the next 10 all went low left. Fooie!

Moderate lead first 2" of bore. Light leading the rest of the way to the muzzle. Lube? Sized .452", bore.451". Must be "The Curse" continues. Going back to the
200gr of consolidation selection.
Maybe I don't need intervention after all....

Edited by Old Ranger on August 13 2017 at 12:50pm

Monte Walsh

REM1875

Posted: August 13 2017 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote REM1875

I Like those Lee 255- the meplat on those is really
something else......Course mine are powered by Unique.
I had high hopes those would be a great bullet for
ya......
I want to try some in the Judge "Night Court"

Edited by REM1875 on August 13 2017 at 9:00pm

"If it killed em a 150 years ago, it kill em today" (answer to a comment about black powder weapons)
Back to Top View REM1875's Profile Search for other posts by REM1875

Old Ranger

Posted: August 13 2017 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Yeah, the 255gr and 200gr differ only with the 255gr having an additional lube groove and a tad longer. The noses are identical. But the 200gr didn't lead my bore where the 255gr indicated poor lube distribution. Leading full length and no lube star on the muzzle.

When I try again later, I'll likely use paste wax and size a little bigger or something. Not giving up. Just gonna shift gears. I like big 'ole chunks 'a lead.

Monte Walsh

Old Ranger

Posted: August 15 2017 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Y'all know we Rangers grumble about stuff but something in us wont give up. Loaded 15 with my favorite smokeless load, 8gr Unique!
Off to the range. This time Mrs. Cottentail was out shopping or visiting. I had the range to myself.
Fired 5 McQueen Method and had three in the same hole 1" below POA and centered. Guess I was getting tired or dropped my head as the last two were 2 1/2" low.... But it was good and the bark of the report echoed across the opening of the range like a crack of thunder. Clint Eastwood should be so lucky to sound so cool.
Tried shooting the last 10 with a conventional two handed grip. Everything went low left by 3 inches! Something tells me that I should stick to what Steve McQueen taught me. I'm way better using his technique.

Cleaned up, and there was almost zero lead. Just a tiny amount that left with the second pass of the brush. Sure, Unique is a might sooty but with the tight group and outstanding performance, who cares?

Monte Walsh

Old Ranger

Posted: August 18 2017 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Well after doing the math, I'm losing money casting for myself. Further, my metal stinks. And today I threw 20 rounds out of 60 into the brush as they would stick in the chamber of my mod P. Never again. LLA on unsized 38Spl that used to work? Forget it. My bullets stink...
I'll be buying most from now on. Ain't worth the effort anymore. The casting bug has beed squished!

Monte Walsh

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version