Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Ruger Red Hawk Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
richhodg66

Online Status: Offline
Posted: September 02 2017 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

A local shop I stopped in today had a blued one with stock grips and what looked like a 7 1/2 inch barrel, may have been shorter, but not much.

I've recently kind of renewed my interest in big bore revolvers. Always thought the Red Hawks seemed real good and I like Ruger revolvers as a whole. Wondering if it would od anything my Super Blackhawk won't?

The Red Hawk seems beefier and of a shape to help with recoil a bit.

Old Ranger

Posted: September 03 2017 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Arrrrgggggg!! Its a Ruger!

I'm throwing up gang signs, peace signs, road signs, and pictures of the Madonna, Gandhi, and Gomer Pile!

Have fun, I'm only playin'.

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Paul B.

Posted: September 03 2017 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote Paul B.

I have several Super Blackhawks plus two Redhawks, one 5.5" barrel
and the other a 7.5" barrel. I find they are noticably heavier than the
Super Blackhawk. Groups from the three guns run about the same for
me, about 2.5" at 50 yards off a good sandbag rest. I do somewhat joke
that the .7.5" Redhawks need wheels and the 5.5" ain't much better.
Recoil, I believe is more comfortable with the Super Blackhawks and the
Bisley Blackhawks. Probably the worst recoil come from a Super
Blackhawk with 4 5/8" barrel and regular (not super) Blackhawk grip. It is
the easiest to pack though on long hikes and as back up on hunts.
My two Redhawks are stainless. Probably the best way to go in wet
weather. All my other .44's are blued except the S&W 629 6".
Paul B.
Back to Top View Paul B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Paul B.

KinleyWater

Posted: September 03 2017 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Old Ranger wrote:

I'm throwing up gang signs, peace signs, road signs, and pictures of the Madonna, Gandhi, and Gomer Pile!

Without a doubt, the funniest thing I've read today.

My hat off to you, sir.

richhodg66

Posted: September 04 2017 at 5:53am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I've had real good luck with Rugers. Their QC may have slipped in recent years, haven't bought a new one in a long time, but then whose QC hasn't slipped? Been hearing some serious horror stories about Marlins and Remingtons lately.

I may just go trade some stuff off on that Red Hawk. That particular pawn shop has done me real well on gun deals and a few other things before. It has a few cosmetic issues, but everything is tight and in time he isn't asking an out of line price, cheaper than a quick gun broker search says they are going for. If it had been a .45 Colt, I'd have walked out with it right then, but I like the big .44 too.

Dunno if I'll get to it or now, but I'd kind of like to take a deer with a revolver this year, never done it before.

Ham Gunner

Posted: September 04 2017 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

I have a buddy (former Bureau of Prisons that decided to go back into the Marine Corps) who bought one of the early 7 1/2" Redhawks in .44 mag. when they first came out. He bought it in the early 80's. I had my 6 1/2" Flattop Blackhawk with Elmer Keith loads of 2400. The Redhawk loved them and produced five shot groups at 25 yards that could be covered up with a quarter. Of course my Flattop loved the loads as well and was also printing out those tight groups, but with a good bit more recoil even with my Herrits Shooting Star grips.

The groups without all that recoil certainly impressed me and my buddy as he had never had such an accurate revolver. And of course I sent him home with a half dozen boxes loaded with that good Lyman 429421 cast bullet. He had relocated to Camp LeJeune and eventually retired as an LDO Captain. We still get together on occasion, but sadly we have not gone revolver shooting in a long time. We have pheasant hunted together in S. Dakota a bunch though.

I have killed likely 6-8 deer with my Blackhawk but after some near failures with jacketed bullets, I have found that flat nosed cast SWC are the way to go even on deer, which are not that hard to kill. The jacketed just did not put them down like the cast SWC and the cast usually leaves two holes for easier tracking if needed.

I have fired several models of the Super Blackhawks, but the grips and grip frame size was not right for me and I found the Redhawk more acceptable and pleasant to shoot.

Edited by Ham Gunner on September 04 2017 at 8:24am

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

Buffalogun

Posted: September 04 2017 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

Rich,

Brian Pearce wrote the following about the Ruger Redhawk chambered in .45 Colt, in Handloader magazine.

It's a pretty strong revolver and is supposed to have three points of lock-up.

Mike

RT58

Posted: September 04 2017 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

Old Ranger wrote:

With all the Ruger threads it makes me wonder if we're missing something Wade. Like a lobotomy.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

richhodg66

Posted: September 04 2017 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Ham Gunner wrote:
I have a buddy (former Bureau of Prisons that decided to go back into the Marine Corps) who bought one of the early 7 1/2" Redhawks in .44 mag. when they first came out. He bought it in the early 80's. I had my 6 1/2" Flattop Blackhawk with Elmer Keith loads of 2400. The Redhawk loved them and produced five shot groups at 25 yards that could be covered up with a quarter. Of course my Flattop loved the loads as well and was also printing out those tight groups, but with a good bit more recoil even with my Herrits Shooting Star grips.

The groups without all that recoil certainly impressed me and my buddy as he had never had such an accurate revolver. And of course I sent him home with a half dozen boxes loaded with that good Lyman 429421 cast bullet. He had relocated to Camp LeJeune and eventually retired as an LDO Captain. We still get together on occasion, but sadly we have not gone revolver shooting in a long time. We have pheasant hunted together in S. Dakota a bunch though.

I have killed likely 6-8 deer with my Blackhawk but after some near failures with jacketed bullets, I have found that flat nosed cast SWC are the way to go even on deer, which are not that hard to kill. The jacketed just did not put them down like the cast SWC and the cast usually leaves two holes for easier tracking if needed.

I have fired several models of the Super Blackhawks, but the grips and grip frame size was not right for me and I found the Redhawk more acceptable and pleasant to shoot.

I don't have the 429421, but do have the RCBS 250 grain Keith which should be very similar. I may just pull that Super Blackhawk out and mess with it a bit, but that Red Hawk sure does feel good in the hand.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version