Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Hunting
 Handloads.Com Forum : Hunting
Subject Topic: Preparation for the hunt Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Old Ranger

Online Status: Offline
Posted: September 10 2017 at 6:20am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Last night I was talking via text with my stepson in Montanna. His style of doing things is simple. He trains little if any. He will read, see a YouTube video, or similar and then decide that is something he wants to do.
He complained that his Savage 99 in .308Win was shooting poorly last year. Something about an 8 foot pattern at 100yds. Though he has all the equipment for bench mounted reloading, he still prefers to beat his rounds together with a Lee Loader! His brass is old and has never been trimmed, annealed, or anything other than beaten by a mallet.

Last night he says he wants to pronghorn hunt this season. Said he's going to use an AR15 style weapon in 223 with a small scope atop it. He was serious about it too. Said the 308 was too much gun for pronghorn. Said the season opens in a couple weeks and he's ready. Not sighted in. No fresh ammo. Nothing but ignorance to fall back on. Afrer several attempts to explain to him his folly, I gave up. If there's one thing I have learned about people is that there are some you simply cannot get to see their wrong thinking and they will INSIST they are good to go. Sad..

Talked with my granddaughter last night. She and her husband were out Friday night checking the stock and scouting. Noted many deer in the area and pinpointed their movement on a map of the place. They do this often months in advance of the hunting season. Tracking and spotting. I call that smart. I'll be out there within the week to scout as well.

And Friday night they came upon a coyote they got in the light. She shot at him with her single shot 243 but missed. Two more rounds but at night from a little vehicle and a rifle she's not 100% trained on, she missed. Range was estimated close to 300Yds plus. But a little later they had one coming at them close. My grandson drew his 357 Single Action and fired a couple times and saw blood spray in the light and the 'yote do a 180 and run like the blazes. They found him Sat morning some 75' from where he was shot. Grandson said he was again very gratful for the gift of this pistol and honored to carry it. I smiled knowing a job well done.

So, there are those that march blindly into the wilderness thinking they have it all figured out. And then we have those that investigate, study, and prepare. Now I just wonder who's gonna be cutting meat this season?

Oh, and the 30th we're going to Academy for some clothing shopping for the granddaughter. New Cammo of course!! Grandpa's treat! To her nothing makes a fashion statement like Mossy Oak or Realtree!! That's my girl! And fresh ammo too.

Edited by Old Ranger on September 10 2017 at 6:30am

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

richhodg66

Posted: September 10 2017 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I used to tend to over think things way too much. I still like to think I plan pretty well, but I kind of figure if you never get out of the starting chute because you're trying to plan for every contingency, you've failed from the get-go.

That said, going afield hunting when you don't know what you're doing is possibly unethical. A lot of guys seem to do it here in the regular firearms season, but most don't get shots at deer because they don't know how to hunt. I personally wouldn't choose to hunt big game with a .223 if I had something like a .308.

I hope you have a good time. If I ever move from Kansas (unlikely) Montana is probably the place I'd choose. Spent a month up there with the Army fighting forest fires many years ago, around Libby and Troy. Beautiful country, absolutely breath taking. Drove the route over to Kalispell at night, the highway follows the path of the Kootenai river as I recall, and I can't think of anywhere I ever saw so many deer.

Eastern Montana is cool too, a lot more like Kansas than the Libby area. I kind of envy you getting a chance yto go up there.

Old Ranger

Posted: September 10 2017 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Oh no Rich. I'm not going way up there. I'm staying right here in Texas! My hunting grounds are now 25 minutes away.I believe you misread my post.

The stepson is in Montana, yes, but I'm never going there. Been on the rez in S. Dakota long enough to know that I'm a Texan at heart.

I was mainly showing how some folks just pack up a few things. Load their rifle with whatever they find and go out hunting without any clue of what they're doing. He managed to shoot a mule deer a couple years ago. It took him 3 hours to field dress it!THREE HOURS! He had his wife Google how to do it. Imagin being in the field with one down and then have to get your wife to look it up on a stinking cell phone on how to gut a critter! NOTE: I had no hand in raising him. He was 30 when I married his mother. I tried to teach him but he was more interested in the gal at the truck stop.

I used to tune bows, build arrows, strings and harness, and instruct at a bow shop north of Decatur TX. During archery season I'd have guys come in decked out in cammo with bows in their hands fresh from the field. They would complain their bow wasn't shooting right. Each and everyone of them had NOT practiced nor sighted in their bows prior to going into the field. They honestly expected to simply pick up a bow and go to the field and kill a deer with it. Forget the practice and work it takes to become a proficient archer. No, just get a bow and start fling arrows everywhere.

You're quite right Rich. Unethical describes them perfectly.

Monte Walsh

richhodg66

Posted: September 10 2017 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

My folks lived in rural Alvord just outside Decatur for about 20 years after they moved out of S.C. (both were from Texas originally). I always figured I'd end up in northeast Texas when I was done with the Army, but Kansas grew on me so quickly and thoroughly, that sort of fell through. Before long, that whole quadrant of Texas will be people on top of people anyway.

Are you still using the factory open sights on that Mossberg .243? I'm gonna take the scope off mine in .308 and put a peep sight on it, but the factory rear folds down nicely, so I'll leave it on for back up. A manliccher stocked carbine ought to have sights on it.

Old Ranger

Posted: September 11 2017 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Changed to Marbles Bullseye sight and it's an improvement. But I'm more comfortable with the M92.

The 243 is going into the "Hotrod Lincoln" as a trunk gun.

Monte Walsh

M700

Posted: September 12 2017 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote M700

Old Ranger - yup - I take my hunt prep pretty seriously. Have to for success! I don't have a "back 40" I can just saunter out into, or a back porch from which to shoot deer...

Only "easy" hunt I typically do is when the dog and I go walk up some pheasant in more or less flat land. That's fun! Here's my youngest son, with our dog, on a pheasant hunt last winter:

Grouse hunting is pretty easy too. Usually walking along some abandoned logging road, or a hiking trail. Chukar? Chukar (partridge) are evil. They live on cliffs above the Columbia River. Getting to them is Work!

Our mule deer, elk and bear all tend to live where there are some serious hills. Being in decent shape for both chukar hunting and big game hunting helps tremendously. It's nice that I enjoy hiking, cycling and lifting so much. I tend to stay in decent condition in my early 60's.

Look at that doggone country behind me last December on a late-season cow elk hunt. Ugh!

I'll shoot rifles & handguns year 'round. Haven't taken that up seriously with the shotgun or bow in quite a while, but most of my hunting is with a rifle.

During the off-season, I'll practice a lot with .22 rimfire, and with my target-style .308 Win. As the hunting season approaches, I shift to the hunting rifles, which for me are usually:

1. Rem 700 CDL, 25-06, 6x Leupold, 115 gr Nosler Ballisic Tip (my favorite deer & antelope rifle)

2. Rem 700 CDL, 30-06, 2-7x Redfield, 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip (or the 200 gr Nosler Partition!)

3. Ruger Number One, .375 H&H, 3x Leupold, 260 gr Nosler Accubond normally. "Dad's Bear Rifle."

I've got other rifles, but those are the three I normally use for hunting. As hunting season approaches I'll dry fire almost daily, and shoot weekly. My standard weekly practice is 50 rounds as follows:

20 rounds standing, at 100, 200 and 300 yards
10 rounds kneeling, at 100 & 200 yards
10 rounds sitting, at 100, 200 and 300 yards
10 rounds prone at 300 yards

*With the 375, I rarely shoot more than 20 or 25 rounds per session... Much as I like that rifle, 20 rounds seems quite enough at one session!

Now and again I'll also use a longer range target, out to about 600 yards, though I've no intention of shooting game at 600 yards. Now and again I'll practice some short range shots, which I have taken in the field:

Used to coyote hunt quite a bit, and I miss it. Need to get out there after those dogs again! That was also excellent practice for deer season.

This year I've got tags for deer, elk and bear. I think I've got a fair chance of bringing home a deer at least. And hopefully quite a few upland game birds!

I admire the fact that you take your hunting seriously, and prepare for it. I find the preparation, the hiking, the shooting, to be an awful lot of fun.

Regards, Guy

Edited by M700 on September 12 2017 at 9:38am
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

KinleyWater

Posted: September 14 2017 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Wow, Guy, that's a lot of shooting. I'd love to have a place where I could go and do likewise - the varied positions and such. Um, and the money to afford to...

On the other hand, the farthest distance I might shoot here is a laser measured 97 or so meters. Still, I've put about 20 rounds through the Whelen and 50 or so through my 1895. That leaves the 6.5 Swede and the wife's .308 to be geared up.

Rex

Posted: September 14 2017 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote Rex

KinleyWater, would you be willing to share your reloading data for the 6.5 Swede?
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

KinleyWater

Posted: September 14 2017 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

If I had any, it would be yours. Unfortunately, All i have is some factory stuff.

Sorry.

M700

Posted: September 14 2017 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote M700

KinleyWater wrote:
Wow, Guy, that's a lot of shooting. I'd love to have a place where I could go and do likewise - the varied positions and such. Um, and the money to afford to...

On the other hand, the farthest distance I might shoot here is a laser measured 97 or so meters. Still, I've put about 20 rounds through the Whelen and 50 or so through my 1895. That leaves the 6.5 Swede and the wife's .308 to be geared up.

Ya, I'll go through a few hundred hunting rounds in the month or two before hunting season. I buy a lot of factory blemished bullets for much of that practice. Also found I can sometimes buy 168 grain, .30 caliber match bullets on sale in bulk. Out to 300 - 400 yards, their trajectory is about the same as the 165 grain soft point or Ballistic Tip hunting bullets, so I practice with the cheaper bullets.

Used to shoot a 60 - 80 round rifle match a couple of weekends a month, so I got used to shooting a lot of rifle stuff.

Guy

Edited by M700 on September 14 2017 at 2:19pm

KinleyWater

Posted: September 14 2017 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Few hundred, huh? Hmm. That sure is a lot of lead. Oh, what the hell - bullets sitting in my reloading chest aren't doing me much good. Got the powder, too. Not sure my shoulder is up for that much abuse with the Whelen .

M700

Posted: September 14 2017 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote M700

What can I say? I like shooting!

And loading!

Old Ranger

Posted: September 17 2017 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Pre-hunt practice, training, and testing. Name of the game at home and on the range.

Physical training:
Upped the distance of my daily walks by a mile. Next couple weeks will be an abort as the VA hospitals will be doing things to me. Upon return, resume training and then with a full ruck.

Range training:
Double check on ammo selection and "shakedown" of equipment. 140gr RNFP.357Mag in M92 is good. However, 162gr SWC in the rifle never touched paper at 50yds! Good to know...
Rear sight elevator slips under recoil allowing sight to drop one notch. Very good to know!
Equipment:
Checked and inventoried camo. Tried all on as well. Sometimes one has a weight change over time and we don't spot it!
Knives, bug juice, socks, boots, gloves. Med kit [current dates confirmed on meds] and other minor carried essentials for extended periods in one location. Water, light snack. Utility wire stake markers [used to mark bloodtrail at evening. Allows quick return to locations if others come to help search.]
Cell phone [old folks may need help getting up ]

And that's about it for now. These days, I only do day hunts as I'm 25 minutes from the field. Thus I train for that. When younger, I trained and equipped for a week or more afield. Each hunt is different. So I'll use the "Easy Button" these days. It's been 14 years since the last real hunt. Hogs and coyote don't count.

Monte Walsh

richhodg66

Posted: September 17 2017 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I generally only do day hunts too, but I started carrying some first aid gear and matches. Good thing because last November, I had a buck down that was in an area where he was gonna be tough to get out and having day light was gonna make it easier. I knew it was gonna freeze that night, but not too hard and I had on fairly warm clothes, so I called the wife and let her know what was up, built a fire and hunkered down next to my deer until the sun came up the next day. I don't routinely sleep much anyway, so that was no big deal, it was just a long wait. Thing I missed the worst was I wanted some coffee something fierce, so I'll pack some in my hunting kit this year. All turned out well, the next day was Sunday morning and #2 son didn't have to work so came out and lent a hand, but if I'd left, the coyotes would have eaten my deer for sure.

As I get older, I've become better at planning for contingencies.

KinleyWater

Posted: September 17 2017 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Yes,

I have taken to keeping a pack saw, tinder kit, and tarp with me, even on day hunts. First aid kit with t-kit, Quick-clot, and chest seal are a MUST, since I hunt public land. I also bring a cellphone and will be bringing 2 way radios when hunting with my brother, for the times we are not in visual contact.

I think physical training is also a must. When you are a mile plus, up and down steep terrain and drop even a modest sized deer, it takes a lot of effort to bring it out. This year I want to take a bear. They can be small, like deer, or weigh in excess of 400 pounds in my area. I don't even want to know what it will be like to haul out an elk with just my own two legs - that's excitement for a later time.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version