Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Off Topic
 Handloads.Com Forum : Off Topic
Subject Topic: New Ears Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Old Ranger

Online Status: Offline
Posted: September 13 2017 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Suffered a severe hearing loss followed with teniuts (sp?p back in '91. Basically the right ear sounds like a Jack-n-the-box speaker hit by a bus and held underwater. The left, though hi freq was gone when young, has been my only "ear" since 91. The Tyler and Dallas VA said tough! We don't do audio (even though Dallas has a facility for that). In short they gave the meaasge "Get lost!"...

When at my exam with the PA at the VA clinic in Palestine, he noticed I was asking him to repeat things and I was turning my head constantly. He smiled and said that he's setting me up with the Audiologist at the Waco VA hospital for a hearing evaluation and fitting for hearing aids. I about fell outta the chair!

Today I drove 107.7mi to the Waco VA and was treated like a prince. After the tests were done, evaluation made, and the doc studied it all here's the outcome.
Extreme loss in all ranges in right ear. Upper frequencies severe to extremely severe in left. Decision: hearing aides for both ears. Was told that I will receive the top of the line models valued at $5,800 each. And they come in woodland camo too! I was speechless! I began to say I don't deserve such when he interrupted "Staff Sergeant, they don't give two bronze and a silver star to some schmuck sitting in supply drinking beer and scratching himself. You already paid for these. Stand at ease Ranger. I got this. " Well how the hell are ya gonna argue with a Commander USN Ret. type in his own office? I did what any good Ranger would do, I saluted and said "Yes sir." He set up a time in a few weeks for fitting and advised I'll be going to the deer pasture with the best hearing he could prescribe. All I could say after that was "Hoo-ah!" the good doctor smiled and thanked me for the compliment.

Guess I ain't forgotten after all.

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Ham Gunner

Posted: September 13 2017 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Glad to hear that there are a few VA staffers that give a hoot about our Vets. I think as a whole, there is probably fair to midlin care available nation wide at our VA clinics with a few really good ones. Just not at every clinic and some are down right pitiful. I found that by taking my Father in Law to a few around here. But that is the way of many civilian clinics as well. Some care and some just want to give you some antibiotics and march you on out the door. "NEXT".

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

joed

Posted: September 14 2017 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote joed

Heck, I got mine 6 months ago.   I flew in aircraft and fired guns
while in VN.   My hearing had been going for the last 10 years.   

Hard to get used to but I can hear better.

richhodg66

Posted: September 14 2017 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I'm a retired artilleryman and my hearing shows it. The annoying thing is I work with high schoolers and most of them nowadays have been conditioned to think that it's wrong to speak up. I always tell my kids "there are no secrets here, say it like you mean it".

Oddly, I don't think it was howitzers that did it. It was all that time spent in an M981 or M577 with a big Detroit diesel idling for days and having several digital radio nets going off while a four-deuce generator was running the whole time. That sustained stuff is harder to protect yourself from.

KinleyWater

Posted: September 15 2017 at 2:06am | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Good for you. Keep us updated.

M700

Posted: September 16 2017 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote M700

OUTSTANDING Ol' Ranger!

Seems you got hooked up with one great doc, who cared about you.

I surely do hope that the new hearing aids work out well.

All the best, Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Old Ranger

Posted: September 17 2017 at 5:12am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Thanks. This doctor sure was good. He walked me through each test and exam that day, and was extremely helpful and attentive. I was clearly impressed by his professional service and equally as well with his personal manners in making sure that I understand what was happening throughout the evaluation. A real credit to his profession.

Tomorrow, I go to the Temple VA hospital for a CAT scan of my old mellon and an exam with a neurologist. Trying to see why I have crippling attacks of vertigo that have me in the latrine violently ill over the toilet, and so dizzy that the effects last into the next day. Temple is a 3 1/2 hour drive one way. And the two appointments with the lengthy drive, yeah, gonna be a long day.

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version