Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: Here’s a unique mould Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Old Ranger

Online Status: Offline
Posted: September 21 2017 at 4:15am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

If I were asked what mould I have that fascinates me the most it would be this duplex mould. Custom ordered in the late 40's when Ideal/Lyman did that sort of thing.

The 358429 is the one with the rounded lube groove that Elmer hated, but it is just fine. The other side is the 358250, the original round nose 158gr bullet for the.38Spl designed in 1903. It predates the 311 by many years. Two lube grooves and a wonderful beveled crimping groove. A most accurate bullet.

In my recent quest for consolidation of my 38 caliber bullet and mould, although I did settle upon the RCBS 140gr RNFP, this old Ideal duplex mould does get some time at the pot. If only 50 a piece cast now and then, but I can not resist the bullets it produces. True classics for a .38Spl if there ever was such.

Edited by Old Ranger on September 21 2017 at 4:17am

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Rex

Posted: September 21 2017 at 5:21am | IP Logged Quote Rex

That is an interesting mould.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

USA Joe

Posted: September 21 2017 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote USA Joe

+ 1     Joe

Old Ranger

Posted: September 21 2017 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

This is the first duplex mould in a pistol form that I have ever seen. Fortunately I bought it! However, I have seen one other duplex mould that belong to an elderly gentleman in Waco Texas. His was for a 30 caliber rifle bullet with a round nose and a flat nose in the same mould. Though these moulds were custom ordered, not many people would combined two different style bullets into a bullet mould. I can only presume that they preferred a single stylr bullet in a 2 cavity mould.

Maybe later, when I can get my phone to photograph the thing, I'll post a few pics and a tale about the very first commercially available SWC to make the shooting scene. From 1904, it's still my most effective and accurate bullet out to a hundred.

Monte Walsh

LAH

Posted: September 21 2017 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote LAH

Never seen a Lyman mould like that.

Old Ranger

Posted: September 21 2017 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

The right side is the 357446 that Rex is having such success with. The one on the left is my "go to" bullet, the RCBS 140gr RNFP. The cute little guy in the middle is a rare one these days. A 360271, designed in 1904 for the 38S&W, it was quickly adapted to the new .38Spl made publicly available a year or so before. A 360271-S was made to be slightly smaller to better fit the 38Spl.

Note the massive base. The original was a 150gr SWC, the first of it's kind. A lighter version of 130gr was made, but was not in a large number. It had a much thinner base. No crimping groove is present, and it is either crimped at the first driving band or, if good neck grip is available, crimped over the front band, leaving the small nose to protrude from the case. With two lube grooves, a well designed squared nose, and large bearing surface this bullet is capable of enduring great speed, while maintaining exceptional accuracy. The thick base is able to withstand some rather substantial pressure. Velocity of more than 1,000fps are not any issue at all from a 38Spl case. It does, however, seat deep and powder selection is a bit limited to moderate burning rates. Unique is an excellent example. I have shot remarkable groups with it, and with good alloy, no leading issues arose. Not bad for a bullet that was the first semi-wadcutter from 1904 huh?

Monte Walsh

Old Ranger

Posted: September 23 2017 at 5:32am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

I neglected to mention that the large, deep lube grooves were for wax & tallow based lube. In 1904, many pistol loads were black powder, thus the two very large lube grooves and two on the 358250 round nose listed in the earlier part of the post. Smokeless powder took some getting used to. Some, like my uncle Leo, flat refused to use it.

Good news is those big grooves hold alot of lube for hot loads in .357Mag's. I've loaded the 250 with 7gr Unique and even 8gr. With proper, note: proper alloy it was a formidable load and no lead in the bore. The 271, crimped in the middle of the front band, and loaded with the same, really screamed! But it's a super stout bullet that just happens to be astonishingly accurate!

Monte Walsh

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version