Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: Ballistic Tip Video Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: October 12 2017 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote M700

Back when I was younger, and could sprint faster, I was able to run alongside the bullet and take this video:

Ballistic Tip

For Old Ranger....

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Old Ranger

Posted: October 12 2017 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Well Guy, I appreciate the effort. Apparently my smartass phone won't run the video. Typical for me and my gear. But I have heard of ballistic tip rounds, just never seen the need for any as all the old school stuff worked for me. But I'll tell ya what, when my dies get here today, I'll load some of the red pointy things in my 'yote zapper/hog slayer baby bullet carbine and see what happens. If they shoot straight, I'll use em on hogs Saturday night.

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

M700

Posted: October 12 2017 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote M700

Yee Haw!

Best of luck on the hog critters. If you get a chance, might want to try a box of the 64 grain bonded core soft point bullets from Nosler. They're made specifically for the AR-15 (though they work in other .224" rifles just fine).

Cool thing about 'em is that they don't come apart when they impact game at high velocity. They're not real "streamlined" so to speak, and I don't think of them as an ideal long-range bullet for the AR-15, but they're a good one. A little expensive, so I don't load & shoot very many of them. Far more bullet than I need for coyotes anyway, which is the critter I'm most likely to shoot with my little black rifle.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Old Ranger

Posted: October 12 2017 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Copy that! The hogs are destroying the pastures out at the ranch. A 400 pounder was killed there couple weeks back. Was killed with 5 rounds of 55gr FMJ from a AR15. Told them boys to use heavier softpoint ammo, but they go and buy cheap 55gr Russian stuff. The boy that was shootin is a buddy of my grandson. The buddy's one of those spray & pray boys. Grandson says the lad has no fire discipline whatsoever. Oh well.

But yeah, now that I'm loading this round again, I will definitely be investing in heavier bullets. My granddaughter said last week they saw loads of does and a few good bucks at her feeder. Then, as they were grazing, got run off by a massive herd of hogs. Grandson emptied the 357 SAA I gave him killing two. Granddaughter couldn't get her aimpoint lit up fast enough to get in on the action. I told her to leave it on in the field. Batteries are 2 for a dollar at the Dollartree store.

Edited by Old Ranger on October 12 2017 at 10:43am

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version