Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Hunting
 Handloads.Com Forum : Hunting
Subject Topic: Opening Day Success Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: October 14 2017 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Long day. Was in place, glassing, before dawn. Lots of hiking and glassing today. Took a mid-day break for lunch and a nap. Back at it later. Finally got a chance late in the afternoon, a young mule deer buck, a 3x3, at 212 yards. No problem for the 25-06, sighted-in at 200 yards with the wonderful 115 gr Blue Cyclone Ballistic Tips!

I was hunting alone, so I quartered him up on the spot, finishing in the dark with my headlamp. Stuffed him into my pack, tightened the straps and hiked a bit over an hour back to the Jeep. Whew! Long day. Home now. Happy & tired. Hopefully I'll get my son on a buck in a few days.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

STCM(SW)

Posted: October 14 2017 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

Good going Guy!
We hunted most of the day, a little cold and saw only WT does.....
And this year I can't take a doe.

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

M700

Posted: October 14 2017 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote M700

You should always be able to take a doe doggone it!

Honestly, I think kids learning to hunt, and ummm... folks with gray hair like you, ought to be able to shoot a doe!

Of course, this might not do the deer biologists any good at all... They must disagree with me!

Guy

Rex

Posted: October 15 2017 at 3:16am | IP Logged Quote Rex

Nice job Guy. Beautiful country. Our season opens the 11th of next month.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Old Ranger

Posted: October 15 2017 at 3:50am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Well done Guy!
Glad you're still young enough and in good shape for packing game out like that. But a good day afield with meat to bring home. Proud of ya!

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

M700

Posted: October 15 2017 at 5:29am | IP Logged Quote M700

Thanks Ol' Ranger!

It was a long, slow walk back to the jeep with that heavy pack. But a good walk.

M700

Posted: October 15 2017 at 5:32am | IP Logged Quote M700

I knew when I shot the buck, that I was going to run out of daylight before I even started the hike back. Glad I had a little LED headlamp!

Got as much done as I could in daylight, then needed the headlamp to complete the chore.

Not much in the way of predators where I was hunting. Mostly coyotes, but some cougars and occasionally a bear will wander into the area. I wasn't worried, but kept my rifle loaded all the way during that long, dark walk to the Jeep.

Guy

richhodg66

Posted: October 15 2017 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Nice deer! Mule deer always look like big deer to me. I need to learn how and start quartering deer up on the spot and carry them out in a pack like you do.

You are such a good photographer. Is that rock formation typical for that area or does it stand out even there? Kinda makes me wonder if it has a name, locals seem to call such thing by a name.

M700

Posted: October 15 2017 at 6:15am | IP Logged Quote M700

Thanks. I just tote my cell phone along most of the time anymore. So easy to carry, and it takes decent photos.

That rock formation is just an example of the basalt columns which are common to this area. Often mule deer will bed down just below cliffs like that, watching the approach routes. I walked the area below that one, and above several others yesterday, looking for deer. Decided to take a photo of it! I like the basalt columns, always have.

Ya, quartering a deer, or even better, boning it out on the spot is a great way to reduce a good size deer to a load that can be managed. I'll drag a deer a ways, but this was going to be a long walk, in the dark, and I decided it was a better idea to just take the meat in my pack. I've done it a few times. Actually pretty easy to do with a sharp knife. There are some good videos online covering how to quarter a deer or elk. I learned from an elk hunter, quite a few years ago.

Guy

richhodg66

Posted: October 15 2017 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I would probably only do it with a buck. The tags we get for antlerless deer require the head stay attached.

I used to hunt almost exclusively in the evening, but the past few years have killed more in the morning when I would have day light to get the work done. Where I do my best work is way down in very thick woods with steep sides to get up before about 3/4 of a mile from that point to where I can park the truck. I use a cart which helps, but it is beginning to become a chore that I fear is more than I'm going to be able to handle in a few years. I can sty pick up a carry a heavy pack, and can't help but feel it would be easier to walk out with it.

Youngest son killed one last year on opening day in about the same spot. Field dresses it but I knew it was gonna be a bear to get it out, even with two guys. We walked back to the truck to leave guns and extra clothes we didn't need and get the cart where we ran into a game warden who asked if we'd gotten one, when I said yes, she said to hop in her truck and let's go get it. Never been happier to see anybody.

I knew it wasn't legal for me to take a truck in, which would be difficult with the gate they put up a few years ago, but while talking to her, apparently a four wheeler would also be illegal and even if I had a horse to do it, that would also be breaking the law.    I need to figure out a way to do this smarter or relegate myself to staying close to the truck soon. Maybe learning to bone one out and packing it out is a good way. I'm gonna be butchering them out anyway, might as well do as much of the work on the spot as possible.

USA Joe

Posted: October 15 2017 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote USA Joe

Way to go Guy

Ham Gunner

Posted: October 15 2017 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Nice job Guy. Sounds like a great hunt with an even greater ending, except for all the work of course.

I done my last deer drag probably 10-12 years ago. Just a little seven pointer and the drag was mostly a gradual rise up a 1/4 mile ridge to the 4-wheeler. I had to take my time and rest often, but even then I had felt that I was risking my health a bit by exerting so much effort even when pulling through the fallen leaves. No reason to risk a stroke or heart attack.

I bought one of those little two wheeled game carts and that was a whole bunch better. One can push from the back or stand inside the front of the frame and push. Easily pulled over rocks and even logs up to maybe 24" in diameter or so. Not too bad by oneself, but with two people it is a snap.

For the last five or so years I have been staying a lot closer to the 4-wheeler trails mostly because of my back, but at 65 now I have decided that even carting one out of any deep "hollers" as the locals call them, is more than I need to be doing. I field dress them and then skin and debone back at camp. But I suppose that if one managed to travel a ways after being shot and make it to the bottom of a deep "Holler", I could always debone it right there.

We can check deer and turkey via telephone now, but until probably 15 years or so ago, Missouri deer and turkey had to be checked at a check station on the same day taken. That was a real challenge for late kills taken out in the more remote Forest Service areas or even on private land where the terrain was really rugged. I suspect that many were just not checked in because they were not able to make it to the check stations before the check stations closed.

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

KinleyWater

Posted: October 17 2017 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Well done, Guy.

M700

Posted: October 21 2017 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote M700

I seldom process my own game meat. Have an excellent butcher who does a good job. Wife prefers that I have that done somewhere other than our home.

Today I picked up the meat from last weekend's buck. I don't know what it weighed, but was a hefty package. Filled the entire freezer side of an upright refrigerator/freezer combo!

Cooking backstrap steaks in a bit.

Guy

Ranch 13

Posted: October 22 2017 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Ranch 13

Nice deer. You and thet ol 25 have sure had some good times over the years.

GUSA #6
http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php
Back to Top View Ranch 13's Profile Search for other posts by Ranch 13 Visit Ranch 13's Homepage

M700

Posted: October 22 2017 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote M700

Ranch 13 wrote:
Nice deer. You and thet ol 25 have sure had some good times over the years.

Thanks! It's a good rifle. First shot a deer with it in 2005. I was just figuring out how many animals I've taken with it in the 12 years:

9 mule deer
2 pronghorn antelope
? coyotes - Not a bunch of 'em, but some

I've taken more deer during that time, and another antelope but used other rifles for those hunts. Though I think of the 25-06 as a nice open-country deer rifle, others tell me they've had great success on animals as large as black bear, elk, and even moose!

With something like the 115 gr Nosler Partition, I'm sure that elk wouldn't be a problem.

For me though, it will remain an open-country deer rifle.

Last night - the backstraps:

Guy

Ranch 13

Posted: October 24 2017 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote Ranch 13

I have packed a lot of dead elk, because those elk ran headlong into 117 and
120 gr bullets fired from a 25-06.
I have an outfitter friend that his main rifle is a TC Encore with a 25-06 barrel,
and wishes more of his clients would show up with a 25 than the belted
magnums they seem to think necessary.

GUSA #6
Back to Top View Ranch 13's Profile Search for other posts by Ranch 13 Visit Ranch 13's Homepage

STCM(SW)

Posted: October 24 2017 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

I'm still trying to figure out why my Steven's 25-06 can shoot higher MV and better groups then the Remington 700 CDL 25-06....
Took the Steven's 25-06 out today, may weigh more but shoots better then the Remington 700....

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

Ranch 13

Posted: October 24 2017 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote Ranch 13

One of the great mystery's in the world is ballistics..

GUSA #6

rednekpaul

Posted: November 02 2017 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote rednekpaul

Nice deer, nice hunt and a good cook
Back to Top View rednekpaul's Profile Search for other posts by rednekpaul

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version