Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Hunting
 Handloads.Com Forum : Hunting
Subject Topic: On hunting alone Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: October 15 2017 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote M700

I enjoyed my solo hunt yesterday. My son couldn't accompany me as he had to work.

Two years ago was the last time I was alone on a deer hunt. Did fine on that one as well.

As the sun set while I was quartering my buck yesterday, I pulled the headlamp out of my pack and contemplated the work ahead. I had to finish reducing the buck to a load I could handle. Get the meat into my pack, shoulder the load and walk out in the dark. It took me an hour or so to quarter the buck. I don't work real fast on that project, and was being careful to not cut myself this time.

The pack was tough to hoist onto my back, but once there it settled just fine. The heavy, warm load pressing against my back was familiar.

I kept the rifle loaded. There are cougars and a few bear in the area, wasn't worried, just seemed prudent. Just carried the buck's head in my right hand. I'm just going to either bleach the skull, or just saw the antlers off it anyway.

Long walk back to the Jeep, in the dark. The first part was uphill on the rocky, sagebrush covered ground. I took a few breaks to breathe, going up that hill. The weight of the pack actually felt good.

Got to the road and found my Jeep after about an hour's walk. This whole time I'd had no cell service, so couldn't let Mama know I'd be late. Couldn't ask one of my sons to come help with the deer. That's fine.

Soon as I had cell service, I called Mama to let her know I was on the way.

It's more fun hunting with good friends & family, but quite satisfying to know that I can still do all this on my own. I pace myself a bit more carefully when alone. Do things more carefully. I sure didn't want to twist an ankle on the way out last night. Yes, I had my first aid kit. Yes, I could have spent the night out there, but I sure didn't want to do so.

Was real nice when I got home, showed my son the antlers. Unloaded my Jeep. Got a thorough sniffing from the jealous dog. Big hug from Mama. She warmed up dinner for me and I poured a glass of wine. Long hot shower and bed. A good day indeed.

John and I will hunt together later this week, probably Monday. That will be more fun, even if we don't get him on a buck. But there is something special about just heading out into the hills alone, and returning late that day, quietly successful.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

richhodg66

Posted: October 15 2017 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I strongly prefer hunting alone. Have to admit to calling my oldest son who's back now to help pull the one last weekend out and it was very welcome. I just seem to focus better and hunt better when I'm not worried about anybody else.

STCM(SW)

Posted: October 15 2017 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

My wife doesn't want me to hunt alone anymore....
But I'm going back one day this week, then with the kid next weekend.
I just don't go in as far as I use to now.

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

Rex

Posted: October 15 2017 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

I still hunt alone the majority of the time and I'll be 75 next month. I'm a lot slower than I used to be and don't venture as far from the pickup as in the old days but it is still a good feeling to be out by yourself. I've lived longer and been blessed more than I ever thought I would and what better place to cash in if He is ready for me.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Ham Gunner

Posted: October 15 2017 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

I always enjoyed still hunting alone and even stand hunting alone and have done so often in the past. My mind seems to be able to take in nature better and be able to listen to the woods better. Lots of info given out by the critters if one listens. I have been warned many times of approaching deer or coyotes by the squirrels, crows, or wood cocks, etc. Feeling a bit more like one is still living back in the pioneer days was always enjoyable. Of course before cell phones and GPS, I guess we were a bit closer to the pioneer days than we are now.

I do also enjoy the camaraderie of hunting and fishing with friends or family though. Even if they are just close by, it is nice to know I can count on them to help me or for me to assist them if need be. Camp time is where friends really are a pleasure, but I have even spent a few nights camping way out there by myself and I still have great memories of those hunts. Gives one a nice feeling of self-accomplishment I suppose.

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

richhodg66

Posted: October 15 2017 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

"and what better place to cash in if He is ready for me."

I've often thought this. Might seem selfish to my wife and kids, not to mention those who'd have to conduct the search, but it would beat hell out of wasting away in a hospital any day.

STCM(SW)

Posted: October 15 2017 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

"I've often thought this. Might seem selfish to my wife and kids, not to mention those who'd have to conduct the search, but it would beat hell out of wasting away in a hospital any day."

One reason I don't want to ever go to a hospital, a CO I had is a mortician and about 90% of his customers were pick ups at a hospital!

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

Old Ranger

Posted: October 16 2017 at 5:46am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Y'all sure gone all morbid 'bout huntin' solo.

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Ham Gunner

Posted: October 16 2017 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Well, the thought of being way out there and passing away all by oneself does seem to cross ones mind, it certainly has crossed mine a few times. Not that I was interested in it happening right then, but I always did feel much closer to God when out in a remote area by myself. I found that we certainly had a lot more uninterrupted conversations while I was out in the boonies.

Yes, hunting alone is a great experience.

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

KinleyWater

Posted: October 17 2017 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

I can think of worse ways to go.

I too enjoy hunting alone - I find I'm less likely to talk.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version