Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Hunting
 Handloads.Com Forum : Hunting
Subject Topic: The little 6.5x55 still works Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rex

Online Status: Offline
Posted: November 11 2017 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote Rex

Nice little 3x2 muley buck first thing this morning. He wasn't far maybe 50 yards or so.
I learned two things this morning. One, I need more trigger time and two, I'm not impressed with Hornady SST 140 grain bullets at carbine speed. They may be fine with a longer barrel but my rifle is 17 1/2" and that only gives 2430 fps. The exit holes weren't much larger than the entrance side. Deer wasn't far out of a standing corn field so I kept pounding him until he went down just at the edge of the corn. I was shooting off hand but managed to do in the lungs, 4 shots was embarrassing. They may not all have been needed but I didn't want to trail him through Grandson's standing corn.
I'd used Sierra game king 140 grain a few years ago but was told that they were too fragile. At he slow speed this short barrel makes I'll go back to them.
Any way, summer sausage coming up, maybe a Shiner Bock or two with it.

75 years old next Friday, I'm happy, life is good!

Edited by Rex on November 11 2017 at 9:17am
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

nhblaze

Posted: November 11 2017 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote nhblaze

your making sausage now, far more important
than how many shots it took !

Well done.

Old Ranger

Posted: November 11 2017 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Ya still got em Rex. That's what counts.
Even hand grenades will work if necessary!

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

richhodg66

Posted: November 11 2017 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Good job! Is the season open in Nebraska? Rifle season still three weeks away down here.

Rex

Posted: November 11 2017 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

Season opened this morning. Harvest is slow this year and lots of corn still in the fields. Deer have plenty of room to hide.

M700

Posted: November 12 2017 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote M700

Congrats Rex! Pretty impressive getting out there and hunting in your 70's. Keep it up, and enjoy that venison.

Is there a lighter weight hunting bullet you'd consider, for a little more velocity from the stubby barrel on your rifle?

Deer don't need a tough bullet typically, especially when you're shooting them in the lungs like you did. I like something light & fast for deer, like the 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip from my 25-06 at 3120 fps. That works out real well.

Regards, Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Rex

Posted: November 12 2017 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote Rex

Guy,
I've thought about trying the Sierra 120 grain bullet. I think the fast twist will still stabilize it and there will be some gain in velocity. That short barrel will never be a speed demon but the liter constructed bullet should help. I am contacting the Sierra people for their thoughts on it, they have been helpful in the past. I think the Hornady SST is a good bullet and is very accurate but it is also used in the 264 Win Mag and my slow speed don't make it work.

KinleyWater

Posted: November 12 2017 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Congrats! Deer down is a good day.

Buffalogun

Posted: November 12 2017 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

Rex,

That Sierra 120gr. is used as a varmint bullet in the faster 6.5's but is used as a medium game bullet in the slower 6.5's.

Mike

Kosh75287

Posted: November 12 2017 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote Kosh75287

I noticed the part about the 17.5" barrel, and recall that the Carbines had barrel lengths closer to 23.5". Did someone "Bubba" the rifle before you got it?
Back to Top View Kosh75287's Profile Search for other posts by Kosh75287

Rex

Posted: November 12 2017 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

Kosh75287, no the little model 94 had a 17.5" barrel with a 1/2" piece press fit on the end to make them import legal before 1968. The model 38 had the 23.5" barrel and the model 96 had a 29.something barrel.

Kosh75287

Posted: November 12 2017 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote Kosh75287

Okay, that's what I get for being a poor reader. When I looked up Swedish Mausers, I didn't see the M94 part. I wonder if the Swedish Military planners understood what they were doing when they decided on a short barrel for that round. Just seems dumb to hobble its superb ballistic abilities from the outset with a short barrel.

Edited by Kosh75287 on November 12 2017 at 2:32pm
Back to Top View Kosh75287's Profile Search for other posts by Kosh75287

Ham Gunner

Posted: November 15 2017 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Congratulations Rex. You got the job done and got the meat for the table.

I done about the same trick this year. I was using my 94 Win. .44 mag. and had an 8-point come trotting by me at around 50 yards or a bit less, but I could not get him to slow down even with a bleat. I ended up hitting him a little to far back and had to track him across a narrow 10 acre patch of grown up fescue/brush. I eventually followed him all the way up the little field along the creek to where my Son was stationed and he finished him with a neck shot.

Well, my Son uses a 130 gr. Hornady Spire Point or the Sierra 125 gr. in his little AR 7.62x40 Wilson Tactical. Has just a bit better ballistics than the AK round. The 130-125 gr. bullets normally are considered varmint bullets in the larger .30 calibers, but at around 2,400 fps they work fantastic on deer. I would think the lighter 6.5mm bullets should work great at the Swedes lower velocities.

In my 6.5x257 Rob Jap 19" carbine I use the Hornady 160 gr. Carcano bullet (268 dia.) at 2,450 fps and have always had great results. Hornady also makes a 160 gr. Carcano that measures 264 dia. A bit more powder space in my necked down 7x57mm case to pump up the heavier bullet, but the velocity has always been right for good expansion. Nothing wrong with the lower velocity as long as we use a bullet that responds correctly for our particular use.

In my FIL's .260 Rem. I worked up a great deer dropping load using Sierra 140 gr. Game King bullets, but the velocity is closer to 2,650 fps. I would certainly believe as Mike suggested, that the Sierra 120 gr. would be just the one for your carbine with it's shorter barrel and lower velocity. Might get the 120 gr. bullet up to around 2,750 fps or so with the right powder. But even the 140 gr. Sierra should still work well even down to around 2,400 fps.

Edited by Ham Gunner on November 15 2017 at 7:35am

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

Rex

Posted: November 15 2017 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

I was using Hornady's 140 grain SST. I panicked a bit when the deer turned toward standing corn about 30 feet away and popped him 4 times as fast as I could work the bolt. Those 140 SSTs at 2400 didn't expand, they should have but didn't. Right away I lost faith in a plastic tipped bullet. Loaded some 129 grain interlocks and tried to remember how to run the chrony without reading the manual first. By the time I got a reading I believed I was out of ammo. That one showed 2600+ but I had no more ammo to confirm that. At any rate if I can get an honest 2600 out of the 129 interlock I'll be happy with that.

Edit:
Why I pick knits over my loads I don't know, I turn 75 day after tomorrow so how many more deer do I have?

Edited by Rex on November 15 2017 at 3:15pm

M700

Posted: November 15 2017 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Every deer you have left deserves a quick kill.

I'm a huge believer in the "plastic tip" bullets. They promote rapid expansion. However, all I've used are Nosler Ballistic Tips and Nosler Accubonds. Both have worked superbly, even at modest velocity.

Nosler makes both a 100 and a 120 gr 6.5 Ballistic Tip. I've never had a bullet kill deer faster than a Nosler Ballistic Tip. Last year I killed black bear, mule deer, pronghorn antelope and elk all with the 165 gr Ballistic Tip from my 30-06 rifle.

A friend has killed deer with a 125 gr .30 cal Ballistic Tip.

Another friend and his wife have a great track record with the 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip from their 7mm-08 and .280 Rem rifles on mule deer, pronghorn antelope and wild hogs.

The B-Tip had problems long ago, in the 1980's. They have improved a LOT since then. I had no reservations about using them on bear and elk last year. They also worked well on lighter game including mule deer and antelope. Fast opening, deep penetrating, accurate as all get out and lethal as we could ask.

Regards, Guy

M700

Posted: November 15 2017 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Oh, and my son has quite a string of one-shot drops from his 6mm Rem using the 95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, as have I with my 25-06 and 115 gr Ballistic Tip bullets.

Admittedly those have higher muzzle velocity.

Guy

Rex

Posted: November 15 2017 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

Guy, you are going to talk me into buying a box of 120 grain BT bullets to try yet. Thanks for the information.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version