Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Intro Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hstaton
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 November 2017 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote hstaton

A quick intro on myself - long-time shooter getting back into the wheelgun world after a long hiatus (30 years!). Had a Super Blackhawk 44Mag in the '80s. Bought a GP-100 44 last April. Also getting back into reloading after almost as long... Interested in developing a load I can use in my GP-100 and also my Henry Big Boy Steel in 44. Looking forward to lots of great info here.

Ham Gunner

Posted: 28 November 2017 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

I do no know if you have to have a minimum of posts to be able to go to the load data section or not so I have copied and pasted it here. It is a bit hard to read this way as it is not presented like it is seen on LOAD DATA. If you can bring up load data, it would be a whole lot easier to understand.

I would think that the GP-100 could handle most any .44 +P load without difficulty. But certainly that should not mean that one has to load +P to enjoy both the heavy Ruger .44 Special and the Henry with the same load. Accuracy should be your focus of course.

44 Special +P, all bullet weights
Bullet     Powder     Weight     Powder         Velocity     OAL && nbsp;  nbsp;   Primer  &n bsp;  S ource
215gr LSWC      11.0 gr     Herco     ;  1,180 fps     1.565"   &nb sp;  Win LP      guest
USE ONLY IN LARGE FRAME, POST-WAR REVOLVERS! THis load is based somewhat on the 11.2/Unique/250 load once touted by Elmer Keith. Velocity is estimated, but with high confidence. I wanted to use a 240SWC but had none. The 215SWC (VERY short nose)was a workable substitute. Accuracy (2"/5shots/50y) AND recoil are such that I’m hesitant to change anything. This load was shot from a nearly-new S&W M624. No pressure signs, but this is as heavy as I’M incloned to go. Even if I COULD increase the powder charge by .5 to 1.0 grains, I doubt it’ll kill whitetail dear any "deader".

Email author: Kosh75287
See all of Kosh75287's loads
240gr LSWC      10.3 gr     Alliant Blue Dot      920 fps         &nb sp; Win LP      guest
This load was taken from the Alliant guide. However, it seems to shoot better about 1 gr higher. Probably not good for most 44 specials, fine for the 629’s. Sincerely, David Smith

Email author: n7rfg
See all of n7rfg's loads
240gr LSWC      13.5 gr     New imr4227      947 fps         &nb sp; CCI SP      guest
Hogden did not discontinue h4227 powder. They have repackaged the powder under the imr4227 lable. Check to make sure that the powder was manufactured in Australia. This is identical to the old h4227. Excellent load in 7.5 inch barrel. It is the only powder on the market that will launch a 240 gr. bullet at 900 ft/sec and still be at the pressure limits of the 44 special. You can actually load this up about 1.5 grs higher in the 44 special if shooting from 629. Very accurate.

Email author: n7rfg
See all of n7rfg's loads
250gr LSWC      7.5 gr     Unique   &nbs p;  950 fps     1.59"   &nbs p;  WLP      Admin
This is generally known as Skeeter Skeltons load. It’s above typical 44 Special loads but not in Elmer Keiths pressure range.

Email author: johnk
See all of johnk's loads
250gr LSWC      17.5  &nbs p;gr     2400   &nbs p;    1,140 fps     1.59"   &nbs p;  WLP      Admin
Elmer Keiths famous load, 27,000 PSI according to Speer. The velocity was measured from a 6" M29-2. This should not be used in medium or small frame 44 Special revolvers.
http://www.handloads.com/articles/44SpecialHeavyLoads.asp

See all of johnk's loads
250gr LSWC      20.0  &nbs p;gr     H110   &nbs p;    1,148 fps     1.59"   &nbs p;  WLP      Admin
High pressure 44 Special load, should be near 27,000 PSI and should not be fired in medium or small frame 44 Specials.

Velocity is from a 6" M29.

See all of johnk's loads
250gr LSWC      18.0  &nbs p;gr     H110   &nbs p;    1,000 fps     1.59"   &nbs p;  WLP      Admin
Velocity from a 6" M29, not a terribly accurate load, I belive the pressure is to low for H110 to burn optimally.

See all of johnk's loads
250gr LSWC      19.0 gr     Lil’Gun   &nb sp;  1,200 fps     1.59"   &nbs p;  WLP      Admin
High pressure 44 Special load, should be near or above 27,000 PSI and should not be fired in medium or small frame 44 Specials. Velocity is from a 6" M29.

See all of johnk's loads
250gr LSWC      16.0 gr     Lil’Gun   &nb sp;  1,032 fps     1.59"   &nbs p;  WLP      Admin
Velocity was measured from a 6" M29, appears to be a fairly low pressure load. This was extremely consistant in my M29 with an extreme spread of 25 fps and a standard dev of 9 fps.

See all of johnk's loads
250gr LSWC      8.5 gr     Unique   &nbs p;  1,058 fps         &nb sp;       Admin
Velocity from a 5.5" barrel, source Handloader #228. Recommended only for postwar Colt, S&W or Ruger revolvers.

250gr LSWC      8.0 gr     Power Pistol      998 fps         &nb sp;       Admin
Velocity from a 4.75" barrel, source Handloader #228. Recommended only for postwar Colt, S&W or Ruger revolvers.

250gr LSWC      8.0 gr     Universal Clays      1,033 fps         &nb sp;       Admin
Velocity from a 4.25" barrel, source Handloader #228. Recommended only for postwar Colt, S&W or Ruger revolvers.

250gr LSWC      17.5  &nbs p;gr     2400   &nbs p;    1,200 fps         &nb sp; LP      guest
elmer’s favorite load.speer pressure tested this recently to be 27000psi. bullet is lyman 429421

Email author: wheezengeezer
See all of wheezengeezer's loads
250gr JHP      15.5 gr     Alliant 2400      1,120 fps     1500"   &nbs p;  Fed LP      guest
17.5 gr.is Elmer’s load that in my opinion is MAX for 44 +p+ load. My load is 20% down from that load, it remains a hand full, but not objectional to fire. Watch out for the cylinder and muzzle flash if firing at dusk, or near night conditions. This should prove to be a nice hawg Load. I fired it from a near new 629-6 N frame Smith & Wesson 4 inch Mountain Gun......Happy shooting Don Avant

Email author: wing1977
See all of wing1977's loads
250gr LSWC      15.0  &nbs p;gr     2400   &nbs p;    Unknown     ; 1.650"      Fed LP      guest
Ruger Blackhawk re-chambered to .44 special. Accurate load. No pressure signs.

Email author: n320aw
See all of n320aw's loads
250gr LSWC      8.5 gr     Unique   &nbs p;   Unknown     ; 1.650"      Fed LP      guest
Good load in custom Ruger Blackhawk .44 special. No signs of excess pressure.

250gr LSWC      8.5 gr     Allient Power Pistol      1,075 fps     1.640"   &nb sp;  Fed LP      guest
Excellent load. Extreme Spread: 21.55 Standard Deviation: 8.60 For the velocity, a very mild recoiling load.

250gr LSWC      18.0 gr     H-110     ;  1,147 fps     1.640"   &nb sp;  Fed LP      guest
Loads appear to group vertically. This load is approximately 2.0 grains less than maximum. No pressure signs. Extreme Spread: 68.96 Standard Deviation: 22.20

250gr LSWC      16.0 gr     Lil Gun      1,201 fps         &nb sp; Win LP      guest
A nice load fairly equivalent to and Elmer Keith load. In my experience with my lot of Lil Gun, the powder behaves a lot closer to 2400 than H110. I tried 18.0 grains with the 250 grain SWC hard cast Keith bullet and had 10% split cases. This 16.0 load had an SD of 24 and shot under 2.5" offhand at 25 yards. Cases fell out nicely with no other pressure signs.

Email author: kuduking
See all of kuduking's loads
250gr LSWC      18.0  &nbs p;gr     H110   &nbs p;    1,147 fps     1.565"   &nb sp;  Fed LP      guest
Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/6 bbl. Pretty fair accuracy. Relatively pleasant to shoot although this is my max load for H110.

Admin Note: We suggest only using this in large frame 44 Specials.

Email author: n320AW
See all of n320AW's loads
250gr LSWC      15.5  &nbs p;gr     2400   &nbs p;    1,183 fps     1.565"   &nb sp;  Fed LP      guest
Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 bbl. Slightly below Keiths famous load of 17.5 grains. No pressure signs at all. Fair accuracy.

250gr LSWC      8.0 gr     Power Pistol      1,016 fps     1.565"   &nb sp;  Fed LP      guest
Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 bbl. One of my favorite loads. Good accuracy. Power Pistol has always been a great shooter in the 44 Special +P.

250gr LSWC      11.0 gr     Blue Dot      1,023 fps     1.565"   &nb sp;  Fed LP      guest
Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 bbl. Nice load with low pressure. Needs work on accuracy. SD: 21.65

250gr LSWC      16.5 gr     Lil Gun      1,153 fps     1.565"   &nb sp;  Fed LP      guest
Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 bbl. Average accuracy. No pressure signs although this load is getting up there!

250gr LSWC      8.0 gr     Unique   &nbs p;  1,047 fps     1.565"   &nb sp;  Fed LP      guest
Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 bbl. Good load. Fair accuracy. SD:9.21.

Admin Note: This is 1.0 gr over what Speer #8 says is max. Probably not an overload in a Ruger, but might be to much for medium frame 44 Specials.

250gr LSWC      9.5 gr     Herco     ;  1,114 fps     1.565"   &nb sp;  Fed LP      guest
Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 bbl. Average accuracy. Near max load. No pressure signs. This load has a sharp felt recoil!

250 gr LSWC      15.0  &nbs p;gr     2400   &nbs p;    1,030 fps     1.478"   &nb sp;  CCI LP      guest
This is a good and very accurate load in the S&W N frame 44 special. It never gives any trouble on extraction or signs of pressure. The regular primer gives better accuracy in my gun than magnums. I got one inch groups at 20 yards with this when my eyes were younger.

Email author: wtnnbn
See all of wtnnbn's loads
255gr LSWC      18.5  &nbs p;gr     2400   &nbs p;      Unknown  &nb sp;    ;   &n bsp;   LP   &n bsp;  guest
This is very accurate and was Keith’s favorite load in the .44 special

(Admin note: This was Keiths load in old balloon head cases, he dropped it to 17.5gr in modern solid head brass)

Email author: bradykohuth
See all of bradykohuth's loads
255gr LSWC      10.0 gr     HS6    & nbsp; 1,004 fps         &nb sp;       Admin
Leadheads 44 Keith. Velocity from a 5.5" barrel, source Handloader #228. Recommended only for postwar Colt, S&W or Ruger revolvers.

255gr LSWC      17.0 gr     H4227     ;  1,001 fps         &nb sp;       Admin
Lyman 429244 GC. Velocity from a 5.5" barrel, source Handloader #228. Recommended only for postwar Colt, S&W or Ruger revolvers.

Users assume all risk, responsibility and liability whatsoever for any and all injuries (including death), losses or damages to persons or property (including consequential damages), arising from the use of any data, whether or not occasioned by publisher's negligence or based on strict liability or principles of indemnity or contribution. Handloads.Com neither assumes nor authorizes any person to assume for it any liability in connection with the use of any data

EDIT: well after pasting this on my post, I logged out and was able to bring up LOAD DATA so hopefully a new member can as well.

Edited by Ham Gunner on 28 November 2017 at 7:09pm

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

hstaton
Newcomer

Posted: 28 November 2017 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote hstaton

Wow! I am blown away (pun intended) by all of the info! I looked at the
data, but didn’t see all of the data you provided. Thanks!

hstaton
Newcomer

Posted: 28 November 2017 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote hstaton

As it turns out, if you make the right selections, the data is available.
When I went there the first time, I inadvertently limited the data I saw.
When I did it the right way, i could see it all. Thanks very much for your
efforts, though! Without them, I wouldn’t have known to look again.

STCM(SW)

Posted: 28 November 2017 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

Well, looks like you got more info then I would have given and I'm a 44 Special fan from long ago.

Only thing is your a sewer-pipe sailor, guys I use to chase down... LOL!

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

hstaton
Newcomer

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 3:34am | IP Logged Quote hstaton

When you could find us! LOL twice! Of course, we were always happy
when you could, because that meant you could find the other guys!

Rex

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 5:02am | IP Logged Quote Rex

I can't help you with the .44 because I don't load that round but I do give you a big WELCOME to the forum. We always need more people to post and share.

Rex
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Ham Gunner

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

For my Bulldog I think I probably have settled upon 7.0 grains of Unique with my 429421 250gr. SWC as it's top load for serious use. I also have some BR-5 that loads about the same as Unique, only it takes up less space in the case and it looks like it might even be a slight bit more accurate.

I would not want to normally shoot a stiff load in the Bulldog for pleasure shooting and certainly not any of the +P loads at all, but in your heavy constructed GP-100 you should be able to work up a decent load that at least pushes 1,000 fps or perhaps a bit more with the right powder and the heavier bullets. In my initial testing with my Bulldog, I did not find that my lighter 429421 225gr. gas checked bullet was quite as accurate as the heavier Keith bullet. But all guns are different, so certainly experiment a bit with other bullets and one will likely be a keeper.

In my ole Flat Top Blackhawk, I found that 16.0gr. of 2400 and the 250gr. Keith bullet was a tack driver. A bit much for light weight .44 Specials, but it might do wonders in your GP-100. Years ago, using the Blackhawks sight setting for heavy magnum loads at 25 yards, the 16gr. Special load would group right on at 100 yards. Back then I could easily knock down soda cans at 100 yards with that load. It was an accurate load, but I had younger eyes back then.

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

Paul B.

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote Paul B.

Quote[ Bullet     Powder      Weight     Powder         Velocity     OAL &&
nbsp; nbsp;   Primer &n bsp; S ource
215gr LSWC      11.0 gr     Herco     ; ; 1,180 fps     1.565"   &nb sp; Win
LP      guest
USE ONLY IN LARGE FRAME, POST-WAR REVOLVERS! THis load is
based somewhat on the 11.2/Unique/250 load once touted by Elmer
Keith. Velocity is estimated, but with high confidence. I wanted to use a
240SWC but had none. The 215SWC (VERY short nose)was a
workable substitute. Accuracy (2"/5shots/50y) AND recoil are such that
I’m hesitant to change anything. This load was shot from a nearly-new
S&W M624. No pressure signs, but this is as heavy as I’M incloned to
go. Even if I COULD increase the powder charge by .5 to 1.0 grains, I
doubt it’ll kill whitetail dear any "deader. }Unquote

You might want to call me chicken but there is no way in hell I'd do that
load in a .44 Spl. It does make me wonder if the poster meant 2400
rather than Unique? I've been shooting the .44 Spl. and Mag. for many
years and frankly, that load scares me just a bit. To be even more frank
about it, I like my S&W M624 too much to gamble on that load. I'll stick
to Skeeter Skelton's load of 7.5 gr. Unique and it kills things just fine.
One thing to remember, Elmer Keith was known to have blown up a
few handgun during his experimentation.
Paul B.
Back to Top View Paul B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Paul B.

Old Ranger

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Elmer blew up A LOT of handguns!

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

hstaton
Newcomer

Posted: 30 November 2017 at 4:02am | IP Logged Quote hstaton

All of the info is GREATLY appreciated. I certainly dom’ Want to follow
in ALL of Elmer’s footsteps! This certainly gives me a great deal to think
about before the rubber meets the road. Thanks!

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version