Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: New Marlin vs New Winchester? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Atavist

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 14 2017 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote Atavist

I know I'm kicking the horse here... but just wondering what you guys think about the newer Remlin 1895 in 45-70 vs the new Miroku 1886...

I keep going in circles... I have a Miroku 1892 in 357, which is just a miniature 1886... she cycles everything from 200gr wadcutters down to the little 65gr balls...

but an 1886 is around $1100 starting... while a Marlin 1895 is $450... don't get me wrong I appreciate the beauty of the $2000 1886 deluxe with premium wood and checkered pistol grip and fore arm... but being practical why drop 2 to 4 times the money if the Remlin has worked out the bugs... handled one the other day and it seemed pretty slick... and of course they all have the pistol grip and checkering I'm so fond of...
Back to Top View Atavist's Profile Search for other posts by Atavist Visit Atavist's Homepage

richhodg66

Posted: December 15 2017 at 5:53am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Haven't shot either, but hear the current Japanese production Winchesters are superb quality. I've also heard a lot of people bashing the quality of the "Remlins" but have also heard from people that they shoot just as well or better than Marlins ever did.

All the Marlin lever guns I own, except my 39A, go pretty far back, late '40s, early '50s. Oddly, I kind of prefer the Winchester 94 to the Marlins but you can make a strong argument that the Marlin is the better design.

Not sure what to tell you. I think if you looking for one to use in the field, the Marlin is the way to go. You could use the cost difference to invest in sights or scopes or loading components.

I know what I'd do, I'd take my time and keep my eyes peeled for an older Marlin. The era of them I really like didn't have the .45=70 as an option, but they were by the '70s and the blueing and wood were a lot better then.

Edited by richhodg66 on December 15 2017 at 5:59am

twillis

Posted: December 15 2017 at 6:34am | IP Logged Quote twillis

My understanding is that the newer Remlins as much better than those that were made right after Marlin was sold.

Terry
Back to Top View twillis's Profile Search for other posts by twillis

Buffalogun

Posted: December 15 2017 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

Jason,

Your first order of business is to decide how much $$$ you are willing to part with!

You aren't comparing apples to apples here. The Miroku made rifles are top notch firearms. The Marlins/Remlins are clearly a step below the Japanese made rifles.

I have a Rossi 92 chambered in .45 Colt and I'd put its fit, finish and accuracy against any Marlin/Remlin. They sell for about the same amount of moolah, too. And they have sold quite well, particularly while Remington was turning out such bad rifles as the Remlins. I think Old Ranger is impressed with his Rossi 92, as well.

I have three Remlins. Two have been fine, not as good as they could be, but acceptable. The third rifle had to be returned three times and took an email to Remington's head shed in order to get it repaired. The front sight was oriented to about the 11 o'clock position. That is unacceptable!

And, I have three Miroku 1885's. If you think the 92's
are smooth, lay your hands on an 1885.

P.O. Ackley tested the action strengths of WWII war rifles and ranked the Japanese Arisaka's #1 and #2.

If you choose a Remlin, make sure you inspect it very well before you lay down the cash. Particularly, now that Remington is up for grabs.

As Rich stated, a nice used Marlin can still be found and could be the best deal.

Mike

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version