Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Rimfires
 Handloads.Com Forum : Rimfires
Subject Topic: Winchester Model 61 pump Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
richhodg66

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 29 2017 at 5:07am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

My folks are now in assisted living a couple of hours away, so I took my Dad out to an indoor range nearby to do some shooting and brought a few rifles, among them his boy hood rifles from when he was growing up in rural Texas, a Winchester 61 pump. It's always been in the family, and I remember a couple of shooting sessions with it when I was a kid 40 years ago, but basically it has sat in a rack and not been touched much since I can remember.

Anyway, what a sweet little rifle! So slim and graceful in the hands, points like it's a part of you. I need to put a better front sight on it, Dad put a tang type peep on it which is a nice sight, but it really needs a taller front now. All we did was off hand at 20 yards or so, but that old girl grouped pretty nicely with some old Federal ammo I brought. Held its own against my Marlin 39A I brought along which is also a sweet heart.

I need to take it down and give it a cleaning, it's a little stickier than it should be from probably 50 year old light coat of oil on things, but the rifle is in remarkably good shape for its age. Obviously, it'll never leave the family, and I think that little rifle has been ignored long enough.

joed

Posted: December 29 2017 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote joed

Glad to hear you had a good time with your dad because he won't
be there forever. Enjoy that time with your parents.

What, no pictures of the gun?

Edited by joed on December 29 2017 at 7:18am

joed

Posted: December 29 2017 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote joed

I had to look that Winchester up on the internet to see what it is.   
The LGS here has one of those in the used rack. At present I have
enough rimfire guns though.

What caught my eyes were they had a few SxS shotguns in the rack
and I've been thinking of getting one for the uniqueness of it.

Edited by joed on December 29 2017 at 7:21am

richhodg66

Posted: December 29 2017 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I should have taken some pictures. Because of the weather and the fact that I really don't want to get him very far away from mom for very long (she's in a lot worse shape than he is) we went to one of these pay as you go indoor ranges, the type of place I usually despise and avoid like the plague, but I have to admit, it was a very well run facility. The main reason I hate those places is that they cater to mall ninjas and as such, require a stupid level of watching safety videos, signing too much BS hold harmless stuff and then have overbearing RSOs to deal with. Maybe I'm getting to be a curmudgeon, but I don't like being treated like a mall ninja.

OK, so I swallowed my pride and put up with the BS, Dad took it in stride better than I did, and we got some shooting done. Dad shot a few rounds with some auto pistols he had before we got to the rifles and besides the .22s, I brought along one of the repro High Walls in .30-40 Krag he had gotten a year or so before moving out of the house that he was very enamored with. I've become a big fan of the Krag cartridge lately and had loaded up some gallery loads, 110ish grain plain based cast bullet and 6.5 grains of Red Dot, so we shot that for a while. I may have to pursue those types of gallery loads in the future, lots of fun and quiet. No recoil whatsoever.

We caught the attention of the RSO, guess he sees an endless line of the latest ARs and crunchenticker pistols in his job and he came over to take a look. My Dad, who was quite a force to be reckoned with in the Bullseye Target pistol community in S.C. back in the 70s and 80s, was wearing a jacket with a NRA state championship patch on it from '75 and that impressed him. Sorry if I'm coming across as a gun and shooting snob, but I think we really stood out and actually kind of made this guy's day.

I've been hearing that the state has been building another range at El Dorado state park about 40 minutes from my folks. If it's like the one I've been shooting on the past 12 years, it'll be a much better arrangement when the weather gets nicer.

joed

Posted: December 29 2017 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote joed

All that matters is you had a good time with your father. Nice about
the State Championship patch, not many have that.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version