Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: 9MM 100g flangible bullets Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Desert Eagle41

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 03 2018 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Has anyone loaded this bullet before? I load a lot of 115g JHP so data isn't much of a problem. Just wondering if there is a benefit at this light a weight and flange-able. Craig

Ham Gunner

Posted: January 03 2018 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

While I do not load for 9mm and I do not even own one, I was not very much impressed with the lightweight 9mm rounds that we had to carry at work. I had my doubts if they were all that good for stopping a fight. I have forgotten the weight of the bullets, but they were certainly lighter than the average. Our agency was concerned about over penetration and these certainly would not be over penetrating for sure.

One round that an officer accidentally popped off into the open door of a gun locker (I happened to be standing right behind him) failed to penetrate the sheet metal and it exploded into nothing but tiny pieces of lead just slightly bigger than grains of sand. I was not impressed by the damage results or the officers actions as far as that was concerned.

I have been reading about a bullet that is fairly new that has angled grooves in the side that is supposed to be able to disrupt the tissue immensely upon penetration into a medium such as a body. The spinning causes a sonic boom inside the body cavity as has been shown to be the case inside ballistic gel.

It is not a frangible type bullet, but rather more like a full metal jacket with flutes built in. I think it is made of solid copper, but do not know if bullets are available for reloading yet. That might be something for one to look at for light weight bullets in the future.

For stopping power of most man sized targets, the lightweight 125gr. hollow points were always a powerhouse when fired at .357 mag velocities compared to most other weights. The lighter weight bullets if constructed properly can certainly give the results needed. But I am not so sure that frangible bullets are what one needs for self protection.

Edited by Ham Gunner on January 03 2018 at 11:49am

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

Desert Eagle41

Posted: January 03 2018 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Thanks Ham i already carry the fluted bullets that are made out of a polymer copper mix and they seem to shoot and perform well but as you say they aren't available for reloading. I have seen the full metal jacket one's you also talked about and may get some to try. If no one knows more about the flan-gable one's i may just pass on them as I have to get 500. I may just get the fmj one's as I can burn them up but they were a kit more money!!! Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: January 03 2018 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well Ham I found the Lehigh bullets I think you were referring to and they are different from the polymer/copper mix I have and carry. Yours are more about penetration than mine which are more about spinning. Both are interesting to say the leased. Craig

rich2

Posted: January 03 2018 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote rich2

May I inquire as to the manufacturer of the bullets?

Desert Eagle41

Posted: January 03 2018 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

I don't know. They are advertised as new product but no other info is given. Craig

joed

Posted: January 03 2018 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote joed

When I purchased my GLOCK I needed some defensive ammo as I
had none.   The clerk pulled out a box of Federal that were 95 gr and
told me that was the only defensive ammo he had in the store other
then 115 gr.

I still have them somewhere and never used them. I'm not so sure it
would penetrate a heavy jacket.

Near as I can figure this ammo is probably something used by the
security on planes.

rich2

Posted: January 03 2018 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote rich2

I may be able to help DE41. I work for SinterFire Inc. I am not part of the sales staff nor do I hold a salaried position. I'm the lead die setter for SinterFire and my job is to see that the proper tooling is installed in the proper machinery for the particular job (bullet) and that all tolerances' are held. I have been with the company for over 17 years and I can tell you that there is a wealth of misinformation and propaganda about frangible/lead-free bullets. If you can give me a bit more information about the frangible bullets you have I can determine if they are ours or not. Can you post a picture of the bullet? (A side and top photo would be good.) Can you tell me where they were purchased? (We supply many distributers who supply dealers and large chain stores) If they are our bullets I can help but if they are other than ours I hesitate because of differences in manufacturing. Take a bullet (just the bullet!) and mic the oal and tell me what the length is. Then hit it (just the bullet!!) with a hammer and tell me what happens.
My wife and I have shot many tens of thousands of SinterFire bullets in competition and carry them for self-defense with confidence. I have loaded them for competition for myself and my wife and they have always performed above satisfaction. I look forward to your reply and truly hope I can be of help. If I don't have an answer to a question you may have, I can get you an answer within a day or two.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: January 03 2018 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

I hope this is it!!!

The above line should take you to the page that has 100g flangible hp bullets. Craig

scroll down the page a bit.

Edited by Desert Eagle41 on January 03 2018 at 5:30pm

RT58

Posted: January 04 2018 at 4:37am | IP Logged Quote RT58

Well, I was going to tell you Sinterfire loading data on-line, but Rich2 can help you more than I can.

I've never shot any frangible ammo, but of the "new and improved" bullets/ammunition I have tried they may have certain advantages in some situations but their disadvantages made them a little less desirable than the same old same old.

Hopefully someone will come up with a "better mousetrap" someday, but the bad guys will be able to afford them first.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

rich2

Posted: January 04 2018 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote rich2

DE41. I saw the site you posted and they certainly "look" like ours, so I'll see if I can help. What would you like to know? BTW, just for assurance on my part and so I can help you better, can you mic the oal of the bullet and hit one with a hammer and tell me what happens?

Desert Eagle41

Posted: January 04 2018 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Hey Rich, I seem to be drawn to strange rounds like these and was looking for someone that might have any info as to how these night work. I haven't gotten them yet and after going to your Sinterfire site I may just get some of those. Craig

rich2

Posted: January 04 2018 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote rich2

DE41. Ok, cool! If I can be of help let me know.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: January 05 2018 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Hmm at 20 something per 100 for the Sinterfire or 34 per 500 for the bullets I was looking at guess witch one's I bought and have coming??? I will post some more when I get and shoot these. Craig

mikld

Posted: January 09 2018 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote mikld

Yesterday I received a box of NOVX ARX ammo (the first
box of 9mm I've purchased in 15 years) and tried one
round out in my shop. I have a "bullet catcher"
consisting of 8" of magazines taped together. I've
fired a lot of 9mm, 38 and 357 and none have exited the
bundle. It's just to test functioning. I have a "just
in case" load for my 9mms and it's a 125 gr JHP over a
load of Universal and it will penetrate 3 1/2"-4" into
the bundle and open up to 9/16". The new ammo (copper
polymer w/spiral grooves in a Hybrid case) penetrated
3" at most and remained intact, no mushrooming, no
break up. The "wound channel" was just 1" in diameter
at most, the same as my 9mm JHP. Personally I don't
think the spinning bullet with the grooves will have a
lot of effect on flesh as it's spinning too fast to
allow the flesh to be affected by the hydrostatic
action.

I know this "test" shows nothing except how this round
performs on a bundle of magazines, but it's fun...

But I ain't no ballistics engineer, so I'm prolly
wrong.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: January 09 2018 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

As I understand it they are supposed to have a hydraulic or fluid channeling effect on flesh. It's not supposed to break up but the cavity in fluid type substances is in the 4" to 6" for a 9mm round. Not to easy to test but that is what they say?? Craig

RT58

Posted: January 09 2018 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

"NOVX ARX ammo"
I thought I'd never heard of those, so I went to their website, ...I had heard of them. My nephew showed me their video a while back and asked what I thought of them. After I finished laughing, which took a long time, I told him it sounded like total B.S. to me, with a little false advertising mixed in.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

Desert Eagle41

Posted: January 12 2018 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

OK got the frangible 100g hp bullets in today. I am thinking to load at 6.0g power pistol as I load 115g at 6.3 with the max at 6.7 I want a lighter load but will adjust as needed. Anybody see anything wrong with my thinking??? Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: January 12 2018 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

rich2 I have info for you. These bullets measure at .354 width and length is .654. I am looking for a hammer> Well I can't find a hammer right now as our cleaning girl has put it somewhere and I can't find it anywhere, I will hit it and report back. BTW these are very nice. No marks of any kind and very clean. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: January 13 2018 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

OK rich2, I just "franged" a bullet with a hammer and finding a dry spec of concrete in 4" of snow wasn't an easy task even after I found the hammer looking for a tow strap to get my brother out of a snow drift. Anyway I hammered it and it broke apart. It looks like copper but granular. Not sure what it's made of. It split straight down the middle off the hollow point. I hope this is all you were looking for as it's all I can gather. Craig

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version