Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: 9MM 100g flangible bullets Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rich2

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 13 2018 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote rich2

Yep. The info you provided tells me what I need to know. The dimensions you measured tell me that they are not a Sinterfire bullet but one of our competitors since the pieces you found after you hit it with a hammer tell me they are of a similar make up. However, I will try to help you the best I can.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: January 13 2018 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Yeah I didn't see any at Sinterfire that looked like a hollow point. I would like to know if these should be loaded up closer to max or is lighter OK? I am starting at 6.0g power pistol with Alliants site at 6.7 max for 115g bullet and I am lighter at 100g?

rich2

Posted: January 14 2018 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote rich2

An important thing to remember with light frangible bullets is oal length. They are generally longer than lead. This will reduce case capacity, when loaded to the same length as a lead bullet of the same weight or heavier, leading to higher pressures. So, the same precautions should be in place as always. Start low and slowly work up to a load that will function reliably. (I generally load only two or three rounds at a time.) But a bigger concern is crimp. Frangible bullets are meant to be just that, *FRANGIBLE*! So, TAPER CRIMP ONLY! The way I do it is to take a hand full of brass cases you are going to use, size them, then mic the oal. Pick out several of the cases with the longest oal. Load a dummy round to the oal you wish to use. Then slowly bring the tapper crimp die down until all the bell has been taken out of the case mouth. Then just a bit further. Say an 1/8 of a turn. Then pull the bullet and check for a "ring" around the bullet where the end of the case mouth was. If you see a "ring" then back off the taper crimp die until you no longer see the ring. Remember, TAPER CRIMP ONLY! I hope I was able to help. If all this sounds complicated, it really isn't at all. I've loaded many tens of thousands of frangible bullets. As to the powder you want to use, I'd try the lightest load listed for a 115 gr. lead as a place to safely start and work your way up from there. Let me know if this helps.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: January 14 2018 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

It's really what I was going to do but it is good to hear you agree. I have been taper crimping on all straight wall cases for several years and have liked the outcome. Thank you for the input and I am going to start light looking for a light load anyway. Thanks again.    Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: January 19 2018 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Loaded 10 at 6.0g power pistol and today I loaded 10 at 6.3. Will shoot as soon as as I can. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: January 19 2018 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Back from the range and I find this interesting! Both loads had serious failure to feed issues. I need to really bring up the load to work I feel. I think I will try 6.5 next then go to 6.7 witch is max for 115g but I am using 100g so it should be OK and really higher if I need to. I think 6.5 will be OK as the rounds shot OK just wouldn't feed the next round always. Craig

rich2

Posted: January 19 2018 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote rich2

You *may* have to tinker with the oal. I load my 100 gr frangible 9mm at 1.120" cartridge oal. and have no problems feeding in any of my 9's. But YMMV.....

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version