Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
General Discussion
 Handloads.Com Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: Hunting Trophies? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 10 2018 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Quite a few hunters on this site - question - what do you guys do with your various trophies?

My habits have changed over the years. Long ago, any antlers got put on the wall, or at least set on a bookshelf. Now... Not so much. For instance this year's mule deer had decent 3x3 antlers. I didn't even consider putting them on the wall. Just sawed them off and cut 'em up as doggie chew toys. They make great doggie chew toys!

Bears - bear skins take up a LOT of room! An average adult male bear in Washington is about 6' long and 6' wide when turned into a rug. That takes up a LOT of wall space or floor space, and they don't look like they'd hold up to much foot traffic.

A bear skull sits real nice on a bookshelf though.

With my bull elk, I was going to have a full head, neck, shoulders mount done - until I saw the size of those things and took a hard look at my modest sized home... So, the elk antlers went on the wall, on a simple wooden plaque. They take up a LOT less room that way, and still look pretty good. Kind of dramatic. This bull measures 51" from tip to tip, for size reference.

I've always had my deer antlers done the same way or as a "European" skull mount. Same with the pronghorn antelope.

Birds? I just pluck a few pheasant feathers now and again & stick 'em in a cup on my desk. My dog always stops to sniff them if I've got a fresh feather or two in there. I did recently skin a couple of pheasants and gave the skins to a fellow who does a lot of fly tying.

Fish? Hmm. Most I've ever done is to photograph 'em while my son, a friend, or I are holding them. Salmon & steelhead make pretty cool photos.

Mama tells me that the house is about running out of room for more antlers, bears, skulls, etc... Looking around, I tend to agree. And I don't even have the grizzly hide back from the tannery yet... That sucker measured a bit over 8' long and 8' wide on the snow in  hunting camp last May.

So, what do you do with your stuff? I enjoy looking at the various "trophies" around the house and remembering those hunts, particularly those with family and friends.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Ham Gunner

Posted: January 11 2018 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Nice mounts and displayed very well Guy.

Well, first I would have to get a bigger house to hang any decent sized critters such as an elk or moose.

Trophies certainly do need a good bit of room or they would likely end up looking cluttered. I would imagine that my house is a good bit smaller than most at only 1,000 sq. ft. upstairs and that much more in the basement so very many mounts would certainly not work out too well.

My only mount is a nice head and neck mount of the first decent whitetail buck that I took. He is a 6x7 but actually not all that large a rack. That feller happily resides on the wall in my shack downstairs due to the small size of the rooms upstairs. I really have no plans for more mounts unless that big monster should suddenly show up, so I guess I might make exception for another special deer or certainly for a near record walleye or crappie.

The only fish I have mounted is one that I bought at Bass Pro. His name is Big Mouth Billy Bass and my grandchildren have almost loved him to death. Push a button and he moves his head, moves his mouth, and sings "Take me to the river, drop me in the water".

Edited by Ham Gunner on January 11 2018 at 8:44am

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

richhodg66

Posted: January 11 2018 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I keep all the antlers and eventually get them mounted up on some kind of plaque for hanging on the wall. While I was in the Army, I started cutting out plaques in the shape of the state I shot the deer in. Kinda figured I'd get around and hunt in more places but it became apparent after I became a shameless home steader on Fort Riley that I was gonna have a lot of Kansas plaques.

I have three of the bigger ones I've shot mounted above the fire place that way, one from S.C., one from Oklahoma and one from Kansas with an old wall hanger muzzle loading shotgun and a few other knick nacks. I have one head mount. I do have a decent Wall Eye on a wall, probably wasn't big enough to justify a mount, but I wanted one and the job the taxidermist did is out standing.

Then there's the weird one, a large, long nosed gar I shot with a bow. Finding a taxidermist who will even do ones seems to be difficult, but I like it.

I have a javelin head mount done from when I went hunting for them out in West TExas, but the wife doesn't like the way it lookd so it's in a closet til I get the man cave/reloading room built out in the shop.

Old Ranger

Posted: January 11 2018 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Never kept em. Can't eat em. Had families to feed and my
horse carried me out to hunt and meat on the return.
Antlers and heads were useless weight across my saddle.
Different cultures I reckon.

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

M700

Posted: January 11 2018 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Likely.

I've never hunted because I had to. I just enjoy hunting, and do enjoy taking the meat, giving some away, preparing it and serving it for family and friends.

But yes, I do take some "trophies" which serve, for me, as mementos of the hunt. Seeing them triggers fond memories of wonderful hunts with family and friends. I like that. Very much the same as with all the photos I tend to take of my hunts.

Those big elk antlers were from what will likely be a once-in-a-lifetime hunt for me. A friend and I horse-packed in to some remote mountains and set up a canvas wall tent. Hobbled the horses, cut wood for the stove. Hunted to over 11,000' and then I shot a nice 6x6 bull. His meat was delicious, but... the hunt is what really mattered to me. My week in the mountains was amazing. We saw two other people back in there the whole week. They were on their way out with a nice bull as well, on horseback. That's a 17 year old memory, and I see that elk rack every day, reminding me of that special hunt.

Each "trophy" I have here at home, brings back special memories of good times. So, I keep some. Not all, but some.

I didn't eat coyote, wolf or grizzly. Perhaps I should have. But all the pronghorn, deer, and elk I've shot along with all the game birds, have been eaten by me, by family, or by friends.

Hunting is good. I have room in my home for a few antlers, skulls & skins.

Regards, Guy

Edited by M700 on January 11 2018 at 10:22pm
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Buffalogun

Posted: January 12 2018 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

I have always enjoyed hunting for the meat and the experience. Good memories are nice to have around.

I decided long ago that hunting for antlers and horns was futile in that one of your buddies will take a bigger one and suddenly yours isn't so grand anymore.

So, my trophies come from places I have hunted. I have two average 8 pt. whitetails on my wall. One came from my grandparents property and the other from a parcel where I hunted for several years.

But, the most special trophy is the big guy below. Hunting bison on their native stomping grounds was something I had wanted to do since before graduating from high school. Bill came from the Black Hills in S. Dakota.

Mike

LAH

Posted: January 12 2018 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote LAH

I've done 3 mounts in my life. My largest sixgun
whitetail, sixgun boar, & a 5 pound smallmouth. I've
tried to keep horns & skulls. No feathers expect one
hawk which fell to my K-22 at 110 steps.

Great stuff you have there Guy & love the Bison Mike.

Rex

Posted: January 12 2018 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

Ask Mike what he shot that buffalo with.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

LAH

Posted: January 12 2018 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote LAH

I remember when he shot that brute but not what he used.

Buffalogun

Posted: January 13 2018 at 6:54am | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

Here you go.....

The artillery field piece is an 1875 Sharps 30" Sporting.

The 1875 differs from the 1874 in that its development was the result of a request from the U.S. Shooting team that Sharps develop a lighter action with a faster lock time. This would allow the team to screw a heavier(more accurate) barrel onto the rifle and still stay under the NRA mandated 10# weight limit.
However, Sharps produced only two prototype 1875's and they were displayed at the 1876 Centennial celebration in Philadelphia. The action wasn't put into production until C. Sharps Arms started producing the rifles.

My rifle is chambered for the
45-2.1(Sharps labeling for the .45-70) cartridge. It is quite accurate.

With the passing of the buffalo herds there was no need for such a powerful rifle(excepting a few target shooters) and the Sharps company went out of business in 1880!

The slugger...

and the slug before and after...

The bullet is a 513 gr. hunk of lead alloy that I cast from my LEE mould. The mix is 1 to 20, tin to lead. After perforating the neck of the bull the slug weighed 512 gr., as weighed by our late friend "Stuffit" and I at his home. The dimples in the nose are from testing the bullet's hardness.

Mike

LAH

Posted: January 13 2018 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote LAH

Thanks Mike. Nice rifle. Sure miss Stuffit.

KinleyWater

Posted: January 13 2018 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Trophy? I'd need to actually kill something first . Still, I must confess I like the idea of a bearskin rug; though I don't know if I consider it a trophy as such.

STCM(SW)

Posted: January 15 2018 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

First buck I took with a 7mm Magnum in PA in 68' or 69'

First buck I took with a S&W M29 44 magnum in 1978.

First non typical taken with a 25-06 in 2010.

All the rest, don't remember what I did with them.
Sure didn't keep them....

Edited by STCM(SW) on January 15 2018 at 6:04pm

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

rednekpaul

Posted: January 17 2018 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote rednekpaul

A couple of my trophies.
All hunters are trophy hunters to certain degree. You never hear of a hunter who passes on that 4x4 on shot a spike!
I like my trophies but there dust collectors. Need to be vacuumed once a year minimum.

Back to Top View rednekpaul's Profile Search for other posts by rednekpaul

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version