Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
General Discussion
 Handloads.Com Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: Wolf Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 25 2018 at 4:49am | IP Logged Quote M700

We've got a wolf on the outskirts of town. Killed a deer in an orchard not far from town, and within 50 yards of a home.

Wolves are fairly new to our area - only being seen here in the past 10 years or so, and not frequently. We've always had bear, cougar & coyotes, but the wolves are fairly new to the area.

I'd say this one just followed the mule deer herd out of the mountains, down here to the valley where there's more food & less snow. I'll be keeping my bird dog on leash when we go for our walks now.

Perhaps I'll grab my telephoto lens and my camo, see if I can get a photo of this wolf. I'd like that. They're not legal game here in Washington.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

richhodg66

Posted: January 25 2018 at 5:31am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Worst thing we have to contend with here is coyotes and my policy with them is if I'm near anything that shoots when one presents itself, they get shot at. Had one saunter through the back yard the other day so I snuck out the front door where I keep a shotgun loaded and unfortunately didn't get around the corner of the house quietly enough which gave it some warning and I missed a running shot.

I'm sure it would upset the tree huggers, but I'd adopt the same policy on wolves. That close to town, I'd have to worry about it deciding a small kid is easier to catch than a deer. I sure wouldn't want to eradicate them, but they need to keep a healthy fear of humans.

KinleyWater

Posted: January 25 2018 at 5:37am | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

Guy, as someone who lived out west during the reintroduction in Idaho, all I can say is I'm sorry. Wolves truly are amazing, majestic creatures. However, they are also incredibly voracious predators, extremely aggressive, and highly detrimental to game species and livestock.

I went to the WDFW website, and noted int he conservation plan that the goal is to establish 15 breeding pairs. That is exactly the same as Idaho's conservation plan stipulated. In the 2015 (so a bit old) IDFG report on wolf populations, they counted 108 packs, with an estimated 66 breeding pairs, bringing the population to more than 750. Here is a ink to the report: https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/idaho-wolf-monito ring-progress-report-2015.pdf

It is widely believed that wolves are responsible for the decline in elk populations in Idaho. To that end, IDFW collared a number of elk and wolves in the ID back country to track wolf/ elk interactions. The federal government since ordered them to destroy all the data collected since they used a helicopter to place the collars inside a wilderness area, where motorized vehicles are not allowed. No, I'm not making this up, here is a link to the story: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/idaho/articles/2017- 12-06/idaho-fighting-order-to-destroy-wilderness-wolf-elk-da ta

It also means a political spit storm is brewing on the horizon over wolf management and *gasp* hunting. So, like I said - sorry.

M700

Posted: January 25 2018 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote M700

Yup, Washington had a few wolves remaining in some remote areas of the North Cascades, but...

The packs running around in Washington now are descendants of those released in Idaho some years ago. They've spread far and wide.

I like 'em, but I'd sure like them to be managed like any other large wild mammal here: with legal hunting. And trapping.

At this point the state pays "sharpshooters" to kill wolves and entire wolf packs that get out of hand, killing livestock. Seems to me it would be much better to establish a hunting season and make tags available. Hunters would limit the population for free!

Guy

Old Ranger

Posted: January 25 2018 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Here in Texas the wolf was all but exterminated. The red
wolf is the prime species. In all my years in the field
I've only seen one. Now coyote are everywhere. When on
patrol at night I've seen packs of coyote roaming the
streets of downtown like a trail in a cow pasture. They'd
duck outta sight when a car got close and then resurface
from the shadows and continue to prowl. Amazing.

The Texas Red Wolf is on the endangered list if I
remember correctly, however the coyote is not. No season.
No limits. And we shoot thousands annually with hardly
putting a dent in their numbers. I lost count on the
number of coyote I've plugged. Well over a hundred or
better in my lifetime. Just like shooting snakes. Ya
don't really keep count, ya just whack em!

Guy, enjoy those wolf sightings and hope you "shoot" a
few with your Nikon! Be cool to see a few pics of
"Shunk Mani´tu" (Lakota for wolf).

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

M700

Posted: January 25 2018 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote M700

Ya, it would! I shot one with a 30-06, in Alaska. But it would be great to get some photos of wolves in the wild!

Guy

KinleyWater

Posted: January 25 2018 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote KinleyWater

I'm not surprised. Same thing happened with the Yellowstone packs. As far as the "sharpshooters" is concerned, why use logic when you can propose a government program? You are absolutely right, they should be managed that way. In Idaho you can get 5 wolf hunting tags and 5 wolf trapping tags (if you trap, of course). Tags are both resident and non-resident, and sold OTC. Year over year harvest rates have been very steady and it has not really impacted the total population at all. For $32 / tag for non-residents it's a cheap hunt too.

MontanaWolf

Posted: February 01 2018 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote MontanaWolf

They dang near wiped out most of our public land elk herds. Better start planning on what you will do when you have little or not big game left.

Back to Top View MontanaWolf's Profile Search for other posts by MontanaWolf

John Van Gelder

Posted: February 04 2018 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I have wolves in my neighborhood, and occasionally get a picture of a collared one on my trail cameras.

Between the bears, mountain lions and the wolves, I have no deer left.

I used to have a small band of mule deer and another group of white tails, I haven't seen them in some time.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

MontanaWolf

Posted: February 04 2018 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote MontanaWolf

We have seen a sharp increase of Griz attacks on man and stock around here too. 2 reasons have been credited to that, 1st, they were endangered and learned not to fear man. 2nd, the wolves are eating all the game that died a natural death. they can easily run off a coyote or a birds, etc but they cannot run off a pack of scavenging wolves, so they are starving and hitting man's camps more & more.

Back to Top View MontanaWolf's Profile Search for other posts by MontanaWolf

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version