Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: How to start new caliber info? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
goodkid1
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 04 2018 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote goodkid1

Hi Guys: I was surprised to see none of the newer 6.5 cartridge offerings here that are gaining pretty large followings. Personally, I wanted to see some load recommendations for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Am I doing something wrong? Are they here, and I am missing them? Before it's recent demise, I added to a "new caliber" category list over at "Reloader's Nest". I also could start things off with my own loads, if that is what it takes to get the ball rolling. Please advise. :)
Back to Top View goodkid1's Profile Search for other posts by goodkid1

Rex

Posted: February 04 2018 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

GK1, I see it is your first post so a big WELCOME! I can't help with the Creedmoor as the 6.5x55 Swede is as close as I can get. There is a lot of knowledge here but a few like me are old codgers and not up on the newer rounds. I will bet you a cup of coffee that someone will jump in with some info, might just take a bit.
Again, Welcome and post your loads won't hurt anything.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

goodkid1
Newcomer

Posted: February 04 2018 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote goodkid1

Hi Rex: Thanks for the welcome, and your quick response. I am a codger also, and have been very pleased with the advice here for many years...for my many calibers. So pleased that I have found 1/2 inch groups for seven other rifles. I have put their loads to bed, as it were. My newish Creedmoor load is the only one I am still not satisfied with. Is there a way for a member to add to the "drop down caliber list? How does it grow, or is it all under control of just one guy? You said I should still post my work. Did you mean I should do that in an individual post, like the way we are talking here? In any case, how should I put in a request to the website manager here for an added caliber to the main list? Thanks for your welcoming words.

Rex

Posted: February 04 2018 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

I'd post it right here for starters. We have a "load data" section but it hasn't been kept up for so long I don't think it can be added to now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
I picked up a Hodgdon 2017 annual reloading magazine a while back that has an article on the Creedmoor and some of the authors loads. He claims for hunting the Sierra 140 grain Gameking is one of his favorites and it looks almost like he used the newer IMR 4451 powder with it. He lists several loads with various bullet weights. If you can pick up a copy of this magazine it may be interesting. If you can't find one just PM me a mailing address and I'll send you my copy.

goodkid1
Newcomer

Posted: February 04 2018 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote goodkid1

Thanks again. I will do so.

RT58

Posted: February 04 2018 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote RT58

Hi goodkid1, welcome to the forum. Rex is correct, making changes to the load data section has been disabled for some time now.

I've never shot the 6.5 Creedmoor but probably have some load data around here somewhere for it if that would help.

What kind of bullets/powder are you using?
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

goodkid1
Newcomer

Posted: February 04 2018 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote goodkid1

Thanks, RT! What a kind and responsive site you guys have. I actually have 4 handbooks with Creedmoor data. But it is also true that of the 7 other calibers I have loaded for, there is only one of those that had the "sweet spot" under the "book" maximum powder load. As the son of a lawyer, I can tell you of how much sway attorny's advice can have in this litigious age we have regrettably made for ourselves. But, alas, their advice does not make for the smallest bullet groups possible...THANKS, DAD! LOLOL But to answer your specific question, I have been shooting mainly the Hornady bullets....without great success. My Creedmoor rifle is a Savage "lightweight hunter" (5.5 pounds undressed). It will be my Go-To deer hunter in California, and thus requiring only "No Lead" bullets. Neither Barnes nor Hornady monolithic bullets have proved satisfactory so far. Usable, but this long range desert hunter has never felt happy (or ethical) with any rifle that couldn't shoot .500 MOA. Thus far, my best "no lead" group is .930 MOA. I'll worry about testing the few other "no lead" offerings on my own, but the normal Hornady bullets have all had problems in my rifle also. According to Hornady techies, I am not the first to notice that, while they often even out after 300 yards, both the 140 ELD-M and ELD-X can yaw a bit before settling down. Hornady 140 "Match" has some problems also. Sooooo....I guess I am looking for info on Bergers, Sierra, and Lapua bullets. But, my gosh, especially with Handloads.com's only real "competitor" now out of action (reloadersnest), isn't it time to update your fantastic site here? Being now retired, even if I am no computer geek, I am willing to put in the effort to do some updating here. Who is the guy that could use some help to re-introduce new info onto the site. It feels a bit like the guy who asks the Maine gas station attendant the best way to Bangor. His response was..."Sorry, ya can't get theyah from heerahh." lolol....let me know how to contact the "powers that be", and see if I can help them in some way with a volunteering of some of my free time.

Rex

Posted: February 05 2018 at 4:54am | IP Logged Quote Rex

You have my sympathy on the "no lead" bullet thing. The long 6.5 bullet does take a while to go to sleep or so I have read and the copper bullets don't get any shorter.
I'd be curious about the Nosler E-tip. Noslers have always had a good accuracy reputation. And you may have to sight in at 250-300 yards just to see what you get at that distance, if it's good 100 yards will take care of it's self. Good Luck

richhodg66

Posted: February 05 2018 at 5:08am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I've had kind of spotty luck with 6.5s and don't have a Creedmoor. Worked with a Swede for a while that didn't work out and it went down the road. My son's deer rifle is a Remington Model 7 in .260, which is a sweet little rifle, but haven't really gotten the accuracy from it I think it's capable of.

I am not a trendy guys, but have become rather interested in the hype surrounding the Creedmoor and also the hype around the new Ruger American rifles. All I here is raving reviews about them, and I think one would make a fun project. I shoot almost exclusively my own cast bullets in everything anymore and because of the Swede project, have several molds. I may do something I have sworn not to do lately and buy a brand new rifle I don't currently reload for.

RT58

Posted: February 05 2018 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote RT58

I don't know if any of this is new to you or not...
Here's factory load data for Sierra, Nosler and Lapua bullets. Nosler bullet weights can be changed by the tabs at the top of the data. They do have a 120 gr. "E tip" which is lead free. Lapua is part of the Nammo group and their data is provided by Vhitavuori, using their powders. Berger isn't as generous with giving their data out, you can get a couple pages from their manual on their site and I do have their manual if you need any info I'd be glad to help. I also have Western powders guide (Accurate and Ramshot) that has data for the Creedmoor. And if you don't already know it, there is a dedicated 6.5 Creedmoor forum.

edited: The Sierra page won't work, if you Google "sierra 6.5 creedmoor load data" it should take you there.

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/65-creedmoor/

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/rifle-reloading/?c artridge=95

http://www.65creedmoor.com/

As to your other question, I'm relatively new here but from what I understand the owner of the site basically is just keeping it open for the dedicated few that keep posting here. We don't get a lot of traffic compared to other forums but we also don't get the trolls or headaches from the trolls the other forums get either. I like it here.

Edited by RT58 on February 05 2018 at 8:48am
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

goodkid1
Newcomer

Posted: February 05 2018 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote goodkid1

What a positive thing I did joining this site! Thanks for all your replies and valuable support. I will go to work on all your suggestions. I forgot about the Nosler E-tip. I used them in earlier years in Winchester (?) factory ammo with reasonable .308 success. It will be enlightening to see what a little hand loading TLC can do for it. As to leaded bullets, I have some Bergers and Lapua. I kinda put the Creedmoor on hold as I brought two .308's out to 1000 yards. That work is now complete, and I need to get started on the Creedmoor. Unfortunately, we temporarily lost the terrific Angeles Shooting Range in the recent southern California fires, but it just re-opened again. So there is no longer a need to to traipse overnight out to the desert for the long shot. Within 30 minutes of downtown, Angeles Range at least affords the local shooter a 700 yard shot. Thanks for all the input. I will list my new Creedmoor results here when I find anything interesting.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version