Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
General Discussion
 Handloads.Com Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: Just some old guy thoughts. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 12 2018 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Trying to scramble and do things I didn't have time to do when I was 30, 40, and 50...

But before I get so danged old and feeble I can't do them.

Heck of a system we've got here. When we're young and strong, we're broke and have no free/vacation time.

When we're old, we may (if we lucked out) have a few bucks, and we've likely got some time avail. But, we're weak compared to 20 years earlier...

Ya. Heck of a system.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

M700

Posted: February 12 2018 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Frig. I dunno.

For my 60th it was important to me to go ride 60 miles on my bicycle. That was pretty good. No real problem. Just rode.

For my 61st I drove to Fairbanks, hopped on a "bush plane" and spent 9 days in the arctic hunting wolf & grizzly. Was a good hunt.

Coming up on 62, and feeling stronger than I have in a while. Have been on snowshoes etc. Debating between the bicycle and skis tomorrow. Probably bicycle. Our low elevation snow is Gone early this year.

Am not yet at the point where I feel or act "old." I do like to shoot once a week still.

However, my joints & tendons are telling me I'm not 30 anymore either.

All the best to the rest of you characters. We may have seen our best days pass, but we're still in the game.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

John Van Gelder

Posted: February 13 2018 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Guy

Do it while you can, when I turned 60 it was much of a change from 40. after 70 things slow down a bit. I find I need to sit and contemplate the wonders of a can of beer after, going to get a ton of hay, load it on my truck and then bring it home and stack it in my hay barn.

I still get out and average five miles every day, I have access to about 10 square miles of forest, on my ridge.

It has been a bit disappointing of late, with the horrible winter last year, and all of the large predators that came through after the snow went, I am seeing almost no game.

Like the old saying..Youth is wasted on the young..

Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

John Van Gelder

Posted: February 13 2018 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Randy

I spent a lot of time hunting with a bow, shot a lot of stuff with either a long bow or a recurve, and hand made arrows. The same skills needed to get close to game apply to handgun hunting, and at 25 yards or less, a 240-255gr. bullet at around 900 fps will do the job.

My last hand gun deer was taken with a .45ACP, loaded with a 240 gr. H&G SWC over 6 gr. of Unique. The bullet passed completely through the deer, he walked about 40 feet and fell over dead. That load was the equivalent of the standard .45 Colt. I have also taken a lot of game with the .357, I just feel that you have to be a bit more precise on shot placement.

I had a bear hanging around my yard, my front yard is a ravine full of evergreens and vine maple. The bear was a regular visitor for the best part of a month. The dogs would go after the bear and it would disappear into the tangle. This was happening two or three times a day. One morning, we had the "bear drill", lots of barking, and no bear to be seen. I stopped on the trail and just waited, about 10 minutes later I heard a noise in a thicket on the edge of the trail, the bear stepped out into a clear area, about 25 yards away, he was above me and quartering away, the kind of shot a bow hunter would pay money for, I put the sights of my 4" mod 28 S&W right behind his left shoulder. The bear dropped at the shot and rolled back down hill toward me, back into the thicket, he had just stepped out of. A wounded bear out of sight, guaranteed to increase ones heart beat and respiration. The bear thrashed around a bit more and rolled out of the thicket more dead than alive and completely unable to get back up, I stepped in and put one behind the ear.

The load was the 170 gr. Keith bullet over 7 gr, of Unique.   

As I have gotten older, I find that I would rather watch the wild things, and hunt more with a camera now. With the exception of large predators in my horse pastures.

Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version