Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: .45 Colt Loads over 30k psi. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
John Van Gelder

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 14 2018 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I have a collection of articles about the .45 Colt, which support my personal observations.

You can "hot rod" the heavy frame Blackhawks, but at the end of the day all you are doing is accelerating the wear on the gun.

Here is an excerpt of an article by John Linebaugh..

I have personally taken about 10 antelope and 1 mule deer with a .45 Colt. My wife has taken around 6
antelope and 5 mule deer with her .45 Colt. She uses a 4 3/4" Seville and the handload is a 260 Keith
cast at 900 fps. This load will shoot lengthwise of antelope and mule deer at 100 yards. In my estimation
it kills as well as the .270, 30-06 class rifles if the shots are placed properly. If I were hunting heavier
game Id step up the velocity to 1200 fps and in extreme circumstances, (elk, hogs, bear) go to the 310
gr cast slug. This load, 310 at 1200 will go through elk like so much air. These loads can be managed by
anyone who is serious about handgunning big game. My wife is 5' 1" and goes about 100 lbs with her
gun on. She likes the power the .45 gives her with a minimum of recoil and blast. She has hunted with
me for 15 years now and is a very serious handgun shooter. I think the .45 Colt has a lot to do with this
as it gives her big bore power without big bore recoil and blast. My sons also shoot the .45 Colt a lot
and I had the pleasure to watch my oldest son, age 14 take a nice mule deer buck this year with a 5 1/2"
Colt SAA at about 90 yards range. The load, 260 Keith at 900 fps. Its plain, no bells or whistles, but it
works every time.

And to clarify another point, the moose I have killed with the .357, other than having a broken leg were in fine physical condition, and harder to kill than some animal I stalked to hand gun range. Any wild animal that has been agitated and is "running on adrenaline" can, like a human, absorb a lot of lead before going down.

In fact we were urged by the state biologists to discontinue shooting moose with one broken leg as they get along fine on three legs.

All it takes to increase the potential of the .45 Colt is not more velocity, just a better bullet. At this time the most effective bullet I have found for the .45 Colt is the RCBS SAA 270. This is just a scaled up Keith bullet. I am reasonably sure that the 270 refers to bullet weight, I have corresponded with a number of folks who use this same bullet and no matter what alloy it is closer to 280-290 gr., not a bad thing for a hunting bullet.

Those bullets in my 5.5" Redhawk over 9.5 gr. of Unique give me just over 1000 fps., according to my chronograph. With pressures less than 20K.

No amount of "horse power" will compensate for stalking ability and shot placement.

My neighbor is a federal game agent, he has killed more bears, than anyone here has seen with the .22LR.

So what is the issue here..? I taught hunter education for 20 years my particular part of the course was hunter ethics.. If we want to be able to continue to hunt and pass that "privilege" on to future generations, then we need to do the best we can as hunters.

Find your effective range, all of your shots on a paper plate, what ever the range. Be able to get to that range. Know the anatomy of the animal you are hunting.

You do not need a sledge hammer to kill ants.

Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version