Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: 30-06 & 25-06 again Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 14 2018 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Mid-day trip to the range today with two favorites, the 25-06 & 30-06 Rem 700 CDL's. I'd recently put new mounts and rings on the 30-06 and wanted to make sure the 6x was properly zeroed. I like these cross-slot mounts and rings:

Also FINALLY got around to sending some 30-06/165 gr Ballistic Tips over the chronograph... Now these loads are over Nosler's recommended max with a 165, but under Hodgdon's, so...

I've been using 58 grains of H4350 and a 165 gr bullet for many years. From the 24" 700 CDL: 2909 fps

And two years ago I bumped it up to 59 grains for the heck of it, and noted good accuracy. Never got around to running it over a chronograph. Today I saw 2970 fps.

Hodgdon shows that charge moving a 165 Sierra SPBT at 2938 fps and 49,400 CUP, so mine isn't too far above that velocity, only 30 fps faster. Cases & primers look good. This is the load that took the elk, bear, mule deer & pronghorn in 2016.

I did my 200 yard shooting from the bench & bipod, then stood up and did my offhand/standing practice at 300 yards. Yee Haw! I need some more practice from standing. Then a few more shots from sitting/bipod just to check things at 300. I'm satisfied.

The highest three impacts on the silhouette were fired from the 25-06 at 300 yards, from the bench/bipod. Aim point was the "neck" or junction between the head & shoulders. My usual "Blue Cyclone" load of 115's at about 3100 fps. The lower impacts were all from the 30-06, offhand, at 300 yards. Yes... I will admit to a couple of misses, off the silhouette...

The pock-marks on this AR-500 target are from 5.56 NATO ammo with the steel penetrator at 50 yards. Several years ago a buddy was shooting my target, and I didn't know he had that stuff. That's the ammo with the green tips. Pocked it up pretty good. Most other bullets just blast the paint off and don't even dent it. A Barnes X hollow point will often leave a slight indentation too, with copper color at the point of impact.

It was a good day, and I'm confident in the rifles, scopes and ammo. Not sure I'm going to keep loading the 30-06 quite that warm. I suspect my old load of 58 grains was just fine at 2900 fps. It always worked! Accuracy appears to be about the same, a bit better with the higher 59 grain charge of H4350.

It was a nice mid-day range trip. Weather was decent too, about 40 degrees and only a slight breeze.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

M700

Posted: February 14 2018 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote M700

It was difficult today, to hold the crosshairs on the silhouette at 300 yards.

I need to practice my standing position more.

Sitting, with the rifle on the bipod, it was a piece of cake, with either rifle, but standing... That was a lot tougher!

Guy

richhodg66

Posted: February 15 2018 at 4:50am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Looks like you have it figured out, good shooting. Either H or IMR 4350 is a good choice in the '06. I found mine liked Winchester 760 best.

I'm also kind of a fan of the Weaver scope mounting system, seems whenever preferred system comes up, most guys thing you're not serious if you use anything other than the Redfield system with the dovetails you have to turn the rings in. It's a good system, but a lot more trouble and the Weaver types seem pretty universal and strong. It always seemed to me like you can get scopes mounted lower and closer to the bore line with them too.

Whenever I mount a scope anymore, I always lap the rings. I'm usually surprised that scope rings even on quality mounts are often as out of alignment as they are. Seems to eliminate ring marks on the scope too.

twillis

Posted: February 15 2018 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote twillis

Guy, I use that same 59 grs of H4350 but with a Berger 165 hunting bullet. I'm not sure you can get into trouble loading the 30.06 to book max in a modern rifle. It looks to me like the book/SAAMI pressures are kept a bit low in deference to the older guns. If you look at max pressure for the 270, 25.06 and 280, they are all higher. I get 3050 across the chrono with my load in the Encore.

Terry
Back to Top View twillis's Profile Search for other posts by twillis

hoghunter

Posted: February 17 2018 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

I avoid standing shots if at all possible. I missed a fine buck about seven years ago at 120 yards in the north woods of PA. It still haunts me to this day. It wasn't a full standing shot, I leaned against a tree but still missed.

I hunt a lot of varmints and predators using a shooting cross sticks (home made - 1/2 inch solid aluminum rod the ends cover with 1/2 ID rubber heater hose.

Since that miss 7 years ago I've hunted deer with my cross sticks and haven't missed since. The cross sticks while not a stable as a bipod in the prone has a major advantage of giving you more field of view in hunting situations since you are higher off the ground.

I'm a big fan of Nosler bullets.

Back to Top View hoghunter's Profile Search for other posts by hoghunter

M700

Posted: February 18 2018 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Agree - if I can get more stable I will.

But I dearly love to practice my marksmanship from standing, kneeling, sitting and prone.

Guy

Old Ranger

Online Status: Online
Posted: February 19 2018 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

I'd dearly love to assume all four of those positions!

Standing is ok still. A little wobble at times.
Kneeling is a total abort. Knees are shot.
Sitting is ok. Only takes me a few minutes to get down
and ten more to get back up.
Prone is good. Only issue is I tend to fall asleep when
in the prone. Same issue getting back up after my
nap though.

Edited by Old Ranger on February 19 2018 at 8:18am

The Old Ranger
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

M700

Posted: February 19 2018 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Laughin' here Ranger!

Ya, I understand. The ol' joints don't seem to be as flexible, or pain free, or as quick to respond as they once were.

Ah well. A few years ago, before my neck surgery - I didn't know how bad off I was... I got down in prone position with my rifle to show another fellow how it was done. Darned near blacked out, just getting in position!

Terrible pinched nerve! Surgery corrected that, but with three vertebrae fused, the ol' neck isn't real flexible anymore.

Guy

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version