Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
General Discussion
 Handloads.Com Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: Spring Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
turbo1889

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 01 2018 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

Accidental Double Post Deleted

Edited by turbo1889 on May 01 2018 at 1:48pm

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

turbo1889

Posted: May 01 2018 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

twillis wrote:

Just make sure it's all downhill and
you'll be fine!

Although I'm only slightly over half the
age of the guy wanting to do 62 miles on a
pedcycle on his 62end birthday.

I would disagree that it needs to be
downhill to be done. At least for me not
being downhill is not a problem but rather
any substantial uphill that is an issue.
Once pedcycled up and over Homestake Pass
that was a nightmare. I don't care how
nice it was going back down on the
downhill side, it wasn't worth the uphill
climb and I would have much preferred it
just being flat or at least flat-ish.

If I'm going to do any substantial amount
of uphill anymore I'll go with the
motorized version Thank You.

But it don't have to be downhill to go for
the pedal version, just so long as it
ain't a bunch of uphill.

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 01 2018 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

On one of my motorcycle trips, I got stuck in a construction zone, it was at the top of Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado. I started up a conversation with a couple of "older" gentlemen, on bicycles, as it turned out they were from Seattle, and on their way to Florida.

I did not check IDs but they were 50+..
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

M700

Posted: May 01 2018 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Hey John, I ride motor and pedal bikes. Both are mighty fun!

You put one heck of a lot of miles on that motorcycle in 48 hours! Wow!

Let me know when you want to ride! I think I'd enjoy the heck out of that. Not sure when I can break free, but sometime this summer maybe. Contemplating a motorcycle trip down to California this summer. Craving a long ride, it's been a while.

Keep me off your doggone horses though. I don't know much about 'em. It's been nearly 18 years since I rode one, and it's been an infrequent thing in my life. I like 'em but really don't know much about handling one.

Most of the folks in my bicycle group are in our 60's and 70's. A few youngsters too. Good people, and some, oh my goodness, are TOUGH. So impressed by them, men and women. Out there on the bikes day after day, some of them year 'round.

One fellow is on a handcycle, he was a surgeon till some idiot ran into him and crippled him. His legs don't work anymore. 12 - 15 miles four days a week now, and 25 or so each weekend day. He still works one full day every week as a doctor. Can't do surgery any more. Hands aren't what they were before he got run over. Those hand cycles are TOUGH. Asking arms to do what the rest of us do with leg power. Amazing stuff. Goodness, they're rockets on the downhill stretches though.

Then there's a 70 year old woman, about 5' tall, who rides with us and is good to go for 30 - 35 miles. She got back on her bicycle and rode it about 8 miles to the coffee shop after falling and breaking her arm. Had coffee with us, then went to the hospital to have it set. Good grief. She knew it was broken but didn't want it to ruin her morning. I am in awe of her courage & strength.

Have a retired carpenter just turned 81, he's an elk hunter too. He used to race bicycles. He's back on the bike after falling and breaking his pelvis a few months ago. Tough old guy, and canny as they come. He can't sprint with me, but over the long haul I have real trouble keeping up with him. He's worn down to nothing but sinew & bone. Leathery little fellow and tough. Does some rifle shooting with me time to time. What a man!

I dearly love riding with those folks. Thoroughly enjoy my bicycle hobby. Almost as much as shooting!

I've never done over about 110 miles in a day. Some of these guys, like that retired carpenter, do the 200 mile Seattle to Portland ride in a day! Good grief. Tougher cyclists than me.

Re the motorcycle, farthest I ever went in a day is a bit over 800 miles, Wenatchee to Sacramento. Heck of a ride. Normally I break it into two days. Thinking about heading down there again later this summer.

Crossing the salt flats on a 10-day, 3,000 mile ride in 2013. That ride was great. Stopped at Dad's place for a couple of nights during those ten days. Camped most of the other nights. There's a sleeping bag & small tent in my bags on the bike:

On the Hart Mtn Antelope Refuge, near Frenchglen, Oregon:

And the bicycle, on our local paved trail for walkers, joggers & cycles. Heck even the skateboard kids enjoy. It goes about 30 miles:

Dang I love being out on two wheels, powered or pedal!

Regards, Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

M700

Posted: May 01 2018 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote M700

I think I'm going to have to move my 62 mile ride back a bit. Work has suddenly gotten crazy busy. I'm not eager to turn down clients.

But we will see.

Sometime in May though.

Guy

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 02 2018 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Guy

I had a V Strom, one of the early 1000 cc bikes, I did a bunch of stuff to that bike, made a heavy duty bash plate, out of 1/4 aluminum, built a luggage rack for hard cases, and made a expanded metal radiator guard.

It was more of a road bike just too big and heavy for serious trail work. I had a road bike as well. A Kawasaki Concours, that was a real road machine.

I was a mad crazy mountain bike guy when I lived in Alaska, that bike was great for sneaking up on Moose, but not much for getting away from them.

I sold the "V" and the Concours. I have a KLX 250, and a DR 650. My youngest son 38 this year, is a bit vertically challenged so I lowered the 250, When he comes to visit we tear up the forest service roads.

My son had some medical issues and was here with me for a couple of years, he found places to ride that I did not know about. He got to be a very good off road rider.

As far as the horses go, that is a different story. I really do not have horses, I have some tall children. They are my family, and they have granted me status in the herd. This probably sounds a little off the deep end, but it takes time to bond with big animals. I take care of them and they take care of me.. I believe it was Winston Churchill that said the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man. I really think he was paraphrase something by Xenophon a Greek fellow who wrote quite a comprehensive treatise on horses some 2000 years ago.

If I get off into horses, there is no end in sight.. A great movie..Horse Soldiers, about our special forces in Afghanistan.   The book is better..

My farrier, a retired Oregon State Policeman, and just a bit younger than I is an endurance horse rider, he has ridden in 100 mile a day races.

It would be grand to meet out on the road for a bit of a spin and a coffee.

And a very old newspaper clipping..

Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

M700

Posted: May 02 2018 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote M700

Very cool!

All this talk of spring - and the weather is indeed warming - has got me out on the bicycle like a madman, but I've not yet taken the tarp off the Suzuki... I would like to get on that soon - but there's so doggone much to do right now.

Am still playing "catch up" after that three-week vacation in the southwest.

I'll let you know if I firm up a date for a trip back through Oregon this summer!

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 02 2018 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Guy

I am a month behind on cleaning up my pastures, finally dry enough to get out there with my tractor, to do some mowing, and gather up all the winter tree debris.

I will keep my "social calender" open for a summer ride.. :)

M700

Posted: May 02 2018 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Have been cycling with my group, but there's a youngster turning 30 soon, who's decided that we need to ride harder and farther than the group...

The kid is going to kill me! We did 40 miles today in beautiful weather, but dang. I've only been back on the bike last week & this week.

Kids...

Not that I turned down the challenge...

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 03 2018 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

The bicycle thing is like running the adventure is in the doing, I like off road motorcycle, because it gets me further off the beaten track to where I can start hiking.

Edited by John Van Gelder on May 03 2018 at 5:53am

M700

Posted: May 03 2018 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote M700

Agree - and the V-Strom isn't all that great off-pavement. I know it's mostly a street bike, and we treat each other gently when I venture off-pavement with it.

I did push it pretty good a few years ago, doing 200 miles on Forest Service roads, some of which were in real bad shape, in one day. Was here in the Cascades, doing a recon of a route I wanted to take a group of Jeepers on later. Did the 200 miles significantly faster than I could in the Jeep, and cruised home on the highway late that afternoon for a total of nearly 400 miles. That was the hardest/longest off-pavement jaunt I ever made on two-wheels.

Mostly though, I keep it on the pavement! It's too heavy, suspension travel is too limited, to be very good at the off-pavement stuff.

I still enjoy the heck out of hiking, year 'round. The Jeep and the bike often get me to someplace where I can start a hike.

Guy

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 03 2018 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Anything that gets us out between the trees is a good thing..

Something about horse riding off in the wilderness, you can get off and walk along and you have someone to talk to, my guys are really good listeners.

I adhere to the old calvary practice ride for 50 min., walk for ten every hour. Gives the horse and rider both a break. I have a knee with a bit of arthritis, I pretty much have to do that.

M700

Posted: May 04 2018 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote M700

USMC infantry was hike like you-know-what for 50 min. Gasp for air and suck in water, maybe a quick snack for ten min. Oh ya, adjust the boot laces. For 10 min. Then go again until 25+ miles were behind us.

I think we should still have cavalry. I think I'd have liked that more.

Guy

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 05 2018 at 6:44am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

We do still have calvary, or more correctly mounted infantry. The special forces guys were on horses when the first went into Afghanistan.

A good movie and I probably already mention this, is Horse Soldiers, the book is better.

During WW11 the Germs depended quite heavily on mounted infantry, and 80% of everything the German army moved was with horses.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version