Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
General Discussion
 Handloads.Com Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: Reloading Projects Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
John Van Gelder

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 13 2018 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I am working on a good accurate cast bullet load for my Remington .30-06, now if only the weather would co-operate.

I have also produced some paper patched soft lead ,44 Cal HP bullets for upper end loads in the .44SPL.

I have tried softer alloy in my 9mm, with varying degrees of success, some pretty good accuracy and some key holing at 5 yards. I pretty well have that sorted out.,, now.

One thing that has puzzled me is why the 9mm has a 1-10 twist while all of the other similar calibers.. .38 Super, 9x21, 9x23, .357 Sig all have 1-16.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

richhodg66

Posted: March 13 2018 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Lots and lots of good info on cast in the '06 and it has been my experience that the '06 is a very easy caliber to get good performance from, Jacketed or cast.

If you haven't settled on a bullet, and there are many good all around bullets, may I suggest the RCBS 180 grain flat nose. That has been a winner in my experience and would make a great hunting bullet if you are so inclined. For targets, I think the Lyman 311284 is as good as it gets.

John Van Gelder

Posted: March 13 2018 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

richhodg66

I have lots of jacketed bullet ammunition loaded up. I have 130 I loaded for deer hunting on Kodiak Island. I have a couple of boxes of 220s that I carried with me also when hunting on Kodiak, those were not for the deer.

I have lots loaded with 180 gr. bullets for Caribou and Moose.

Which reminds me of a story, I am old so I have lots of stories. I was off hunting in the Nelchina drainage early one fall, looking for Caribou. I had my trusty old Remington 742, and a couple of extra magazines. I had my son and daughter with me, we were driving on an old trail that went back into some gold mines, it seemed like every couple of miles my son would see a bush that he thought was a Caribou, we would stop check with the binoculars, most of his Caribou were in fact bushes. Until one wasn't. The last time he said hey dad is that a caribou, it was, and it was a particularly big bull.

I jumped out of the truck, pulled my rifle out of the back, and did not check the magazine. I played tag with that bull around the willows until he made a mistake and stepped out into clearing, I threw the rifle up to my shoulder,centered the cross hairs on his shoulder and fired. He went down like he had been hit by lightening, when I got up to the bull he had a hole in his shoulder that you could pass a baseball through. I pulled the magazine out of the gun, and as you have probably guessed, it was full of 130s. It was instant death, but most of that shoulder was destroyed.

I have a new bolt gun, and I am thinking of some pretty pedestrian cast bullet loads, in my old age I have grown fond of shooting rocks, there is no cleaning involved, there is no season or bag limit on rocks, and a lead smear on the center of a rock at some ridiculous range is pretty satisfying.

Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Paul B.

Posted: March 13 2018 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote Paul B.

What bullet do you plan on using? One load I played with in the .308
Win. and 30-06 was the Lyman #311291, nominally a 175 gr. bullet
over 25.0 gr. of H4895. I got better results in both cartridges using a
one grain tuft of Dacron set lightly over the powder to hold it in place.
Two things I noted that made a difference. One the bullet must be
seated to slightly engrave into the rifling and two, try sticking the nose
of the bullet into the muzzle of the rifle. If it's slightly engraved or a
really snug fit it should shoot good. If there's any play/wobble no
matter how slight, that bullet won't shoot worth a damn.
Someone mentioned Lyman #311284. There's a book from the Cast
Bullet Association called "Speaking Frankly", a compilation of articles
by the late Frank Marshall. He spoke of winning many matches with
that bullet loaded to about 1600 FPS. I have a mold that casts that
bullet with a second cavity that casts #311282, a plain base version of
"284". I've cast up a batch of both and just have to get around to
ordering a .311" sizing die. Normally I size .310" but these long bullets
bend when I try to size the at .310". It's always something.
Anyway, I have two Browning rifles in 30-06, an 1895 Winchester clone
and B78 single shot. I figure to try that 1600 FPS load and maybe try
for a 2000-2200 FPS load and duplicate the 30-40 Krag.
Paul B.
Back to Top View Paul B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Paul B.

richhodg66

Posted: March 13 2018 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

The 311291 is a good, general purpose bullet. The 31141 is the same bullet with a flat nose and was made for .30-30 lever guns but I have found it to be a good bullet in all .30s and have taken a few deer with it.

For just punching holes in paper inside 100 yards, I'm looking hard at the Lee 113 grain "Soup Can". Dad gave me a six cavity mold for it. Seven or eight grains of Unique or Red Dot in the '06 ought to be great. I squirrel hunted with some he loaded in .30-30 with five grains of Clays and it does well, neat, clean holes with good anchoring ability on small game.

doghawg

Posted: March 13 2018 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote doghawg

John

I tinker with cast bullets in a Ruger #1 in '06 and usually end up with 12 gr. of Unique which clocks out at around 1600 fps. I have an old tattered Lyman manual (45th) that shows 12 grains of Unique for a starting load with cast bullets in the 150 to 170 gr. range. No fillers, low noise and recoil, accurate enough for practicing on clay pigeons propped up on a hillside.

Have been a handloader for a lot of years but cast bullets in 9mm was a humbling experience. Had a 1911 with a bore that slugged at .356+ and in order to get any sort of accuracy had to size at .358". I appreciate a challenge but the 9mm was more frustrating than fun so it's gone. FWIW

Randy   

John Van Gelder

Posted: March 14 2018 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Paul B

As always thanks for your comprehensive responses..j

I shot almost nothing but cast bullets in my .30-30 using the 311291 bullet.over 30 gr. of .30-31, up in the 2000+ fps range.

Many years ago I used to shoot a few of those bullets and a light charge of Unique in my 742,.30-06 I was always a little reluctant about shooting cast bullets in a gas operated gun.

That bullet would have been ideal for my new bolt gun, but when I started sorting through my reloading gear that mold, the top punch and the sizing die were no where to be found. Since all three of the items seem to have gone missing I am starting to think that I loaned them out to one of my reloading friends and over time just forgot who that was. Just another manifestation of the CRS syndrome.

richhodg66
doghawg

You both are right on the "money" my goal is for a pretty light load for the 06. When I ordered up a new bullet I got the LEE 309-150F. I shot a few of them loaded with 13 gr. of Unique, cold and deep snow took some of the fun out of the project, before I managed to get the gun sighted in, always a chore when shooting off hand...

Initially when I was looking at getting a new bolt action gun I was thinking about something in the 7.62 X 39. After a bit of reflection, my final "logic" was that I could load the 06 down to 7.62 x 39 ballistics, but I could not go the other way.

And at the end of the day .30-06 has always been my favorite rifle cartridge.

In the summer time I occasionally head off to the clear cuts and shoot, or shoot at ground squirrels.

Randy

I can make almost anything work in the .45ACP, great accuracy and no lead in the barrel with nearly pure lead bullets. The 9 has been a challenge. My Ruger 9mm also has a .356 barrel. With really hard bullets, and I also sized mine to .358 I had good accuracy, I have a finite amount of hardener and wanted to save that for rifle bullets. I shoot soft lead in all of my other hand guns, but just could not get any sort of accuracy out of the 9mm with soft alloy.

A friend of mine in Canada who shoots IDPA, and shoots a lot of 9mm, suggested that I pull the bullets on my soft ally loads and mike them. I did that and they averaged .354, that pretty well explained the lack of accuracy, the bullets were being swedged down upon loading into the FL sized cases. I sorted through my brass selected a hand full of the same brand, did not size them just put a little flare on the mouth of the case, seated the bullets with a light taper crimp. Problem solved, good accuracy, no leading, and my favorite.."cheap" shooting.     

Paul B.

Posted: March 14 2018 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote Paul B.

"The 31141 is the same bullet with a flat nose and was made for .30-30
lever guns but I have found it to be a good bullet in all .30s and have
taken a few deer with it. "

I thought that bullet would be better than #311291 but after two molds
plus a clone by NEI I've come to the conclusion that none of my 30
caliber rifles like that particular design.
Paul B.
Back to Top View Paul B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Paul B.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version