Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: What Happened? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
John Van Gelder

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 05 2018 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Rex

A couple of possibilities.. If you have primer residue in the pocket it can cushion the hammer fall enough to keep you from having proper ignition.

I had a series of failures, and tracked it down to a tray of primers that spent the winter in my unheated damp shop.

Over time I have had ignition problems, one was traceable back to gun oil in the firing pin channel of a 1911 Colt, the oil migrated down onto the primer, the case was one that had been reloaded several times and the primer pocket was a bit loose.

I have had condensate in cases that caused problems, usually from using uncleaned scrounged brass.

Another culprit is case tumbling media, that can lodge in the flash hole.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Rex

Posted: April 05 2018 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

I suspect it was powder contamination in one case due to neglect to properly clean lube from the base of a bullet.
I pan lube and therefore need to wipe the bases of most of the bullets I load. I would guess that I got in a hurry and left a chunk of lube on the base that fell into the powder. That sounds pretty iffy but is the best guess that I have right now. Primer pocket residue is a real possibility with a Dillon 550.
At any rate I've abandon the .38 cases and went back to my original load of 14 grains 2400 in a .357 case.
It's been a long winter and I've played with many variations to kill the boredom.
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

John Van Gelder

Posted: April 05 2018 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Rex

Your 6 gr, Unique load works well in the .357 case, I have shot lots of those and they are very accurate in my "L" frame Ruger.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Rex

Posted: April 05 2018 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

John, I won't abandon that 6 grain load for practice though my S&W tends to lead and Unique seems to be much hotter temperature wise than 2400. Mr. Keith tried to explain that to me once and I wasn't sure but he was proven right again. I will lead more with any Unique load than a load with 2400.

John Van Gelder

Posted: April 06 2018 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Rex

I do not recall when I last saw a can of 2400 at my local dealer, I bought a couple of cans of 4227, which I think for your application might be a better choice than the 2400.

I have shot a lot of 170 gr. swc bullets over 14.5 gr. of 4227, it is one of those powders that needs to be loaded right up near maximum for good uniform burning.

The above load with the 358429 bullet is a compressed charge, it very accurate. With anything other than maximum loads I have always had unburned powder with 2400
and the above 4227 load has about the same velocity as the upper end 2400 load with a bit lower pressure.

Rex

Posted: April 06 2018 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

John, 2400 is pretty common here. I like it for the heavier loads and have quite a bit of HP38 that was all I could find during the shortage so I'm trying to get a nice lite practice load with it.
Snowed a bit today with a high of 25. Hard to get much shooting done.

John Van Gelder

Posted: April 08 2018 at 6:15am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

I have part of a can of 2400, that is getting old, the last can of that I bought before I left Alaska in "95".
Probably should dig that out and use it up..:)

For heavy loads in the .357 I have been using Hodgdon Lil' Gun you can get 1400 fps out of a 158 gr. bullet at under 30,000 # of pressure.

This is from the on line manual

158 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon Lil'Gun .357" 1.580" 16.0 1504 24,100 CUP 18.0 1577 25,800 CUP

50 here yesterday, down from nearly 60 the day before, had a big thunder storm come through that deposited enough .30 cal hail on the ground to nearly cover it.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version