Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Inceptor update Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Old Ranger

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 16 2018 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Craig, if the range is underwater then you can paddle
around and practice "Navel Gunnery"!

Good luck on your follow up work

The Old Ranger
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Desert Eagle41

Posted: April 18 2018 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

I do want to make a warning at this time to not use any of my loads as I found a mistake in loading and am not sure how far back it may go. Possibly all the latest loads and all the pp loads may be in question. I have found light loads in at leased two of the pp loads and one of the universal may also have been loaded light. Boy what a struggle. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: April 21 2018 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Shot today and all went well!!!!! The best load I shot was 7.5g power pistol and these bullets can really fly. I am guessing around 1450 to 1500 fps according to what data is there. I have not reloaded all the bad rounds to test them but I am sure they are correct. It was the reloader that was in question. I think I loaded most of the rounds a full grain short, I did shoot the 5.8g of Universal which is max for the bullet and it ran fine. I think all the rounds that is in printed data at Hodgen and Insepter will work fine and I would start a little closer to max which you can do safely. YMMV At 65g these bullets are very light and need a fuller charge to work properly. I will test all the rounds that are available except the Lovex powder as I have never seen any in my travels, Well sorry for the confusion as I am old and frail it appears.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: April 25 2018 at 5:32am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

I just got 250 of these in the mail today so let the testing begin again. I think all will be OK as I found my loading mistake and I think all the data is good but will report back. Craig

mikld

Posted: April 26 2018 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote mikld

Thanks Craig. I'n always interested in "new" stuff in
reloading...

Desert Eagle41

Posted: April 26 2018 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well just finished up reloading HP-38 and Titegroup rounds and will test tomorrow. The Universal rounds and my power pistol rounds tested fine the other day and I may shoot my pp loads to compare to these new loads. See ya Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: April 29 2018 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Shot quite a bit today and here is the report. Stove piping on hp-38 and titegroup rounds. Power Pistol is the big winner as the load I came up with is just hotter and functions better than the other loads. The Universal was a close second to pp but it was lighter. I also shot HST rounds that were far superior to any Incepter rounds. I am getting tired of these troublesome rounds, just not worth the effort I think!! If I can think of any other thing to try I will and report back. Craig

Old Ranger

Posted: April 29 2018 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

So the light zippy-fast fly-apart bullets ain't all
they're cranked up to be,huh?

Ya goin back to standard style stuff again then?

The Old Ranger

turbo1889

Posted: April 29 2018 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

I noticed that they have an offering that
could be loaded for 45-70 although they do
not offer a factory loading for 45-70 just
that AR funky round that tries to make an
AR get as close to a 45-70 as possible in
a funky round that stacks single row in a
standard double stack AR mag.

Might be worth a try, plus I'm thinking of
seeing how fast I could push one of these
out of my 357-max carbine. Both I'd be on
my own and would have to develop loads
completely from scratch but I am better
equipped then most for that since I've got
pressure trace equipment, already have a
sensor installed on the 357-max as well.
Hmmmm, so many potentially fun projects so
little time and money. Maybe I'll get
around to it one day.

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

Desert Eagle41

Posted: April 30 2018 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

What I really need to know at this point is how does anyone know how far to push these rounds with the light data. I am pushing good at 7.5 but they are lighter than my 115g loads at 6.3g a light load for 9mm. I am guessing I could safely go to 7.6 then 7.7 but what is safe and how will I know when the gun blows up?? I guess I will know when that is!!! duh!! Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: April 30 2018 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Craig

Those are interesting bullets. This reminds me a bit of the days of "Super Vel" ammo. A friend of mine and one of the troopers I was stationed with in Alaska got into a gun fight, and had to empty the magazine on his S&W 9mm to achieve the desired result with the Super Vel ammo.

This "Phillips" screwdriver stuff, depends a lot on the 1-10 (+/-) twist of the 9mm.

You probably have seen this video, but here it is..

Ruger ARX

We have come a long way since the early days of jacketed hollow point bullets. The FBI published their findings and they seem to feel that with the modern ammunition options the 9mm is just as capable as any of the other popular self defense cartridges.

I being a dinosaur and contented at that, feel that at the end of the day a good cast bullet with as big a meplat as practical will probably serve better.

It is good to try new stuff, if we do not then we stagnate.. I had for a long time some pretty strong feelings about "plastic" guns, but as of this moment have revised that opinion.

There are numerous documented instances of Glocks with 200K+ rounds down range. Something that would strain an all metal gun.

The bottom line is that if you are developing light weight "hyper velocity" loads, a good chronograph is probably a necessity.

There are some light weight 9mm loads that are pushing the 2000 fps range.

Why do we reload....because we can..!   
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Old Ranger

Posted: May 01 2018 at 6:19am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

You can cut the ears off a mule but that doesn't make it
a horse.

You can soup up the 9mm all you want but it ain't never
gonna do what a standard 45 can do. That's a fact.
Just sayin'.

The Old Ranger

Desert Eagle41

Posted: May 01 2018 at 6:27am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well you can't carry 17 rounds in a 45 like you can in a 9mm M&P 9. Just sayin. Craig

Desert Eagle41

Posted: May 01 2018 at 6:33am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

I still just like my JHP bullets and was just trying these as a new product that I will probably never carry as they are not reliable at this point.

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 01 2018 at 6:54am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

With the modern expanding bullets, the expansion and penetration is almost the same with the 9 as the .45.

With cast bullets at standard velocity and pressures the 9 penetrates nearly twice as much green fir as the .45. That may be a bit off I shot into a 5" blow down, green fir, the ,45 stopped about 3" in while the 9 punched right through plowed up about 6" of soft dirt and finally stopped on a chunk of basalt. 120 gr. hard cast TC bullet in the 9, 230 gr gr. hard cast TC bullet in the .45.

The standard load for the nine gives around 1100 fps with a 124 gr. bullet, I have load data that will produce 1100 fps with a 200 grn bullet in the .45ACP and is not a +P load. Doing the math it is pretty obvious that there is a lot more horsepower in the .45 (540 ft/#) compared to 334 ft/# for the 9.

But those 1100 fps loads in the .45 are not as pleasant to shoot as the 9mm loads, cost more to make, and the recovery time between shots is quite a bit longer. Not to mention that you have a lot more tries with the 9mm.

Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Desert Eagle41

Posted: May 01 2018 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Well John I am guessing I am running around 1550+ in the Power Pistil rounds and this guess is extrapolated from the known data at Hodgen and Incepter web sits. Please also try to understand these are designed not to shatter but to penetrate spinning and that is what causes the damage. It will come apart when it hits bone but it's better if it does not. It's a whole different approach to bullet design. It's all that I wanted to check out as I still like my JHP. Craig

Old Ranger

Posted: May 01 2018 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Only know what I've witnessed and done. 45 put em down.
9mm required multiple hits to drop em. Y'all likely do
need those big mags full of 9's.
Just pickin on y'all, friendly like...

I say this to get everyone all fired up and talking!

Besides, past few days this site was a ghost town
Scooby do!

The Old Ranger

Desert Eagle41

Posted: May 01 2018 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

OK lined up friend who has a crony to use tomorrow nightish. That will tell the tail I hope. Craig

John Van Gelder

Posted: May 01 2018 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

My responses are not meant to stir up the age old debate about which is better the 9 or the .45, because in reality there is no clear winner.

Both have their places, Ruger also markets the same bullet in the .45.

There are some really interesting things that happen when you start encroaching on the 2000 fps mark. There is some commercial .45ACP ammunition, that pushes a 50 gr. bullet at 1900 fps.

I read about those bullets and fully understand the principle. The effectiveness lies in the initial wound cavity as opposed to the permanent would cavity.

The bigger bullet theory is not always the best choice or the military would still be carrying .45-70s.

And something I can guarantee unequivocally is that at times a mule is a much better choice than a horse..

The folks at Brass Fetcher have done a lot of empirical testing with many different calibers and some of the results are pretty interesting.

One such test is of standard 9mm and .45ACP military ball ammunition, the results we not what I expected..

Craig let us know what your chronograph results are, a very interesting topic.

The Russian military has a over pressure round for the 9x19, that pushes a 63.3 gr. bullet at 1969 fps. and produces just shy of 600 ft/#.

These rounds are designed to be armor piercing.

The 9x19 is the most popular handgun cartridge on the planet, there must be a reason for that.

Desert Eagle41

Posted: May 02 2018 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote Desert Eagle41

Boy are these bullets going fast!!! Shot 7 rounds total with the crony not registering like 2 rounds. We re shot those. I started with a 115g jhp that I always shoot with 6.3g Power Pistol. It came in at 1174 fps. Very cool I think Then we shot a factory Incepter 65g bullet and it went at 1376 fps. The rest are all Incepter bullets reloaded by me. 5.5g Universal at 1574, 5,8g Universal at 1598 fps, PP 7.5 was at 2503 and 7.6 at 2724. I also tested the Taurus with 124g HST and it ran at 2089. All these numbers are an eye opener for me!!! Craig

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version