Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: Fired vs Unfired and bullet seating Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Abram

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 06 2018 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Abram

I have been reloading for about 12 years now and for the most part I have followed the loading manuals to the letter with regard to COL. I have managed to develop some pretty nice loads for my rifles but I am wanting to start working with adjusting the bullet with regards to how far it sits from the lands. Now this leads me to my question, in reading some have suggested using a fire formed case from that particular gun, I understand why but others have stated they use a new resized case while other use something like Hornady sells which is a modified case, which is suppose to be better, it may be obvious but I am curious, for those of you that work with adjusting the distance to the lands what is your preferred method?
Back to Top View Abram's Profile Search for other posts by Abram

mikld

Posted: April 06 2018 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote mikld

Are you asking about a cartridge modified to be used in a
Hornady OAL gauge?

Tom W.

Posted: April 06 2018 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote Tom W.

I'll take a bullet and blacken it w/a magic marker, put it in a dummy round and put it into the chamber. I have a single shot, so magazine length isn't an issue. If there are rifling marks on the bullet when I take it out I'll re-blacken it, seat the bullet a bit more and try until I get it almost but not touching the rifling. Then I'll load up ten and see how they shoot. It worked wonders in my 30/30 NEF, and I did the same in my two Ruger #1B's.

Now. if you have a rifle w/a magazine, you'll be limited by the length of the magazine, unless you load and shoot them one at a time. but be aware that while they may load fairly well, it may be difficult to extract a loaded round due to it's length.

Confused yet?

RT58

Posted: April 06 2018 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote RT58

I use a Stoney Point OAL gauge, (pre-Hornady), and prefer to make my own cases from ones fired in the particular weapon.
Back to Top View RT58's Profile Search for other posts by RT58

hoghunter

Posted: April 06 2018 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

I used the Frankfort Arsenal tool to measure distance from the lands. This tool is inexpensive, easy to use, and accurate. Available at Midway.

You will need a caliper in addition to the tool.

Keep in mind that even high quality bullet vary in ogive so you will get a range of measurements with different bullets even from the same lot.

You may gain some accuracy benefit from changing seating depth but keep in mind that the bullet needs to be seated enough to provide adequate bullet tension* and fit the magazine.

* a rule of thumb is to seat at least to one bullet diameter

I never seat closer than .010" to the lands for safety reasons and to avoid having a bullet stuck in the chamber.

Hope this is helpful.

Back to Top View hoghunter's Profile Search for other posts by hoghunter

doghawg

Posted: April 06 2018 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote doghawg

Abram

I take an old fired case and make a lengthwise cut in the case neck with a small hobby hacksaw or a dremel with a cutting wheel. Make the cut from case mouth down to bottom of the neck or slightly farther. Insert a bullet and gently chamber the round. There should be enough tension on the bullet that it can be pushed back into the case to exactly where it "kisses" the rifling but stays in the case when you extract. Just resize case if too loose and you may need to experiment with the length of cut.

For hunting loads I like to stay off the lands .025" or so. Target and prairie dog loads sometimes closer but if you're touching rifling you'll need to back down the load a bit.

Randy

Abram

Posted: April 07 2018 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote Abram

I have used a case with the neck cut to allow the bullet to slide and then chambered the round. I thought once I got a good load started that adjusting the distance of the bullet to the lands may help to fine tune the load. I was curios as to whether it was better to use a fired case or un-fired case and how best to determine the distance to the lands.

doghawg

Posted: April 07 2018 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote doghawg

I use a fired case and after cutting I size it just enough to put the right amount of tension on it. Have also learned to re-check when opening a new box of factory bullets. Whether because of a deliberate ogive change or just variations in their forming dies there is often a difference.

Abram

Posted: April 10 2018 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Abram

Thanks a bunch for the help

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version